gembrook
Level 3: Gumshoe

My Sony Xperia P drops voice calls when swapping between UMTS and HSPA when home but is ok otherwise

An ongoing issue since April the phone has been back to Telstra to get looked at several times, antenna replaced, software upgraded with no noticeable change in (mis)behaviour. It does not do this in other places I get a reliable voice call connection if I have my mobile data turned off at home. But I can just about guarantee multiple dropouts of voice calls if Mobile data is turned on. Phone is running Android 4.1.2 Kernel 3.0.8+ Build 6.2.A.1.100 I have call logs to prove this
Live Long and Prosper

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Matt_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: My Sony Xperia P drops voice calls when swapping between UMTS and HSPA when home but is ok otherwise

Hi gembrook,

This certainly isn't good to hear. I can take a look at this issue further for you, however I'll need to obtain some of your details. 

I'll send you a private message with a form to complete so we can capture some of your details.

-Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

harlie
Level 1: Cadet

Re: My Sony Xperia P drops voice calls when swapping between UMTS and HSPA when home but is ok other

Hi

What was the result of theis please.

We have a sony xperia P with what sounds like the same issue since swapping to telstra - no issues with optus. If data is turned on the voice call drops out after bout 20 sec. Turn data off and voice calls work.

thanks

gembrook

Re: My Sony Xperia P drops voice calls when swapping between UMTS and HSPA when home but is ok other

No real result, I did get a new handset but the problem persists. This only occurs where I live, not in other places. I think the issue is that the phone has trouble swappng cells for the the voice calls and data as I am located beteen 3 different towers.

Live Long and Prosper
Jon_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi harlie

With out grabbing any details off you, does this issue happen in only one location or everywhere? 

- Jon

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

gembrook

This only happens in one location that I can determine for certain

Live Long and Prosper
gembrook

Am sort of hoping that when I am able to try/get a Xperia Z1 Compact things will work better due to it's Blue Tick certification. I do get between 3 to 4 bars (out of 5) when outside of the house, so signal strength should not be an issue really.
Live Long and Prosper
harlie
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Jon

This happens often, not every call but 3/4 of the time, and everywhere.

ta

gembrook

Oops meant 3 to 4 bars out of 4
Live Long and Prosper
Matt_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi harlie,

That isn't good to hear. It sounds like the phone may be the cause of your particular issue if it is happening everywhere. I'd suggest taking it into a Telstra store for assessment. It may require repair/replacement.

-Matt W

gembrook

I have had my phone back to Telstra 4 (or is it 5) times, inlcudinng being given a different handset, but the problem continued. Nobody ever bothered to come here and test. I provided call and signal strenghts logs to prove my issue and spent a lot of effort and time. I now have got a new Z1 compact, which I really prefered not to have been forced into getting as I am now locked into a contract for another 2 years plus more cost. Once I have all my data transferered and apps uploade I will trial this. 

If that doesn't work I will be a lot less happy than now. 

Live Long and Prosper

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit