SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

My Telstra App - Issue with Chat when device in Dark Mode

Answered

Hi,

I have noticed an issue on my Pixel 4 and other android devices, when trying to use the Help | Chat facility in the My Telstra app while the device is in Dark Mode.

When trying to type a message, the text I am typing is not visible in the Input  Text Box.. but the cursor moves and the text (complete with typos) is visible after pushing Send.

From what I can work out, this seems to be an issue with how the My Telstra app handles the Dark Mode functionality..  the text changes to while (from black in Normal Mode) but the text box background stays white...  the resulting white on white format makes the text unreadable. It appears that the Dark Mode setting does not cause the My Telstra app text box background to change to black  as seems to happen with other apps that are behaving correctly.

I can't pinpoint exactly when this changed but I suspect it was at the last update for the app. I have run my devices in dark mode wherever possible, for as long as it has been possible..  and I am sure I used the My Telstra chat facility before, probably 4 to 6 months ago, without a problem, but now i have this white on White scheme that is unusable in practice.

Over the last week I have tried to bring this issue to the attention of the Customer Reps (no, that doesn't include the Codi idiot-bot), who man that particular chat facility, but nothing seems to be being done about it.

With Telstra actively pushing customers towards using the app and the facilities within for almost everything, surely it is important that Telstra make sure it actually works? in all modes that users might have enabled? It is getting harder and harder to actually talk to someone in Telstra about these things - certainly a lot harder than buying a new service!!!

How can I get this escalated to the app development team so they can look into and possibly come up with a fix?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

Re: My Telstra App - Issue with Chat when device in Dark Mode

I am happy to report that Telstra have updated the My Telstra app to V 56.0.47 and that has corrected the issue i as having with message text not being invisible in Help | Chat when the handset was in Dark Mode. I hope other devices are also OK now.

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Send an email with as much detail as possible (phone model numbers, android versions, My Telstra version number) to mytelstrasupport@team.telstra.com

I've got my Samsung Galaxy Note 10+5G running in Dark Mode and I don't have those problems.

Note: if you ever have problems with apps, go into the Google Play Store, Click on the app, then scroll down to Developer Contact and you will get the contact information.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52

Yes, I did use the contact developer contact a week or so ago, heard nothing yet.

Stevo 52
Jupiter

You generally won't hear anything unless they need to get more information from you.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52

Yes, I am used to Telstras non response..  it is frustrating at present because I am trying to sort account issues  and keep getting directed to the App chat service..  which I can't use without turning off dark mode. That shouldn't be the case - other users tell me they have the same issue and I would expect Telstra to be a bit more proactive, but Covid has apparently bitten deep into the organisations ability to do much more than sell new plans and devices!!

Stevo 52
SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

I am happy to report that Telstra have updated the My Telstra app to V 56.0.47 and that has corrected the issue i as having with message text not being invisible in Help | Chat when the handset was in Dark Mode. I hope other devices are also OK now.

Stevo 52

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit