Spencer5
Level 2: Rookie

RCS outage on Android

RCS is not working on Android phones. I had to switch it off so I was able to SMS. I know of a few other people experiencing the same problem that are on Telstra and Android. There was an Android update today.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: RCS outage on Android

It's still working fine on my family's Samsung phones.  What model phones are you using? Android phones don't get firmware updates at the same time (or the same update).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
JP555
Level 1: Cadet

My wife and I have been using RCS just fine until yesterday when it stopped working and we had to revert to SMS. Yours is the only mention I can find of it failing at the same time but wanted to add my instance for the record.

Nokia 6.1 (using Google Messages) - Boost

Samsung S8 (using Samsung Messages) - Telstra

It worked flawlessly since December 2019 and now its stopped working all of a sudden. I have tried clearing cache/data on the messaging applications but still not working. There are no pending updates. I feel this must be a carrier (Telstra) problem given the multiple reports of RCS failing.

Spencer5

My partner's phone is also not working it is a Samsung s20 5G! 

Spencer5

I have a pixel 4xl. My partner's Samsung s20 isn't working either perhaps you haven't got the update?!

@Jupiter wrote:

It's still working fine on my family's Samsung phones.  What model phones are you using? Android phones don't get firmware updates at the same time (or the same update).

ashanrath

Pixel 2 and 2xl, same problem. Tried uninstalling updates for both messages and carrier services, then applying aeroplane mode, clearing data + cache. Now I've gone from "connecting" to "not supported by your operator". 

dohzer

Mine broke this morning. Tried all the previous things to fix it (cache, force stop, etc) but nothing is fixing it. Last time the thing that fixed the problem was getting a new sim card (around a month ago when I first got my phone). Hope I don't need to again. It's been fine ever since.

Google Pixel 4a if it matters.

JPR2

Having the same issue on a Note10+ 5G using the Google Messages service. Was fine till a couple of days ago, now just says RCS is not available. 

I did revert to the native Samsung Messages app to test and the RCS functionality returned. 

Have gone back to Google Messages and RCS is unavailable. My guess the issue is related to Google RCS messaging service with Telstra. 

Spencer5

Yes I think we'll have to wait until Telstra and Google solve the problem. I had this issue a year or so ago. Miraculously it fixed itself. Mine definitely broke after an update. The same for my partner's Samsung.

PerrythePixel

Same issue here on my Pixel 3 running Android 11. Performed a small update 5th October and RCS hasn't been working since. 

Sean1985

Must be. I have a Pixel 4XL and it stopped for me over the weekend. Now the Connecting status is all gone and replaced with "Chat features Unavailable for this device".

atchi
Level 3: Gumshoe

I just (Tuesday 20/10/20) spoke to Telstra support and they said that Google updated something, which has broken the RCS feature on the Telstra network.

They thought that it was confined to Pixel devices, but it's broken on my Note 9. They had very little information about it, and the information that they were getting was a bit confusing/conflicting.

They also suspected that maybe it didn't help that my phone didn't come directly from Telstra, and that if I had a Telstra-supplied phone the Samsung Messages app might work with RCS, but I can't confirm that.

The bottom line seems to be that RCS probably won't work for a while, until Telstra and Google sort out the issue - if they ever sort out the issue.

JPR2

Installed the Google "Carrier Services" app, rebooted and I have chat features working in the Google Messages app. I believe this is using the Jibe Mobile service from Google under the covers rather than Telstra.

I'll take that as a win for now

atchi
Level 3: Gumshoe

Yep, mine just started working without me having to do anything - it just popped up a message saying "do you want to use chat features?" when I opened the Messages app.

Looks like it's working now, and through Google's own system. There's a message down the bottom of the Chat Features settings that says "Chat features from Google provided by Jibe mobile."

Spencer5

Yes same for me! Thankfully! 

@atchi wrote:

Yep, mine just started working without me having to do anything - it just popped up a message saying "do you want to use chat features?" when I opened the Messages app.

Looks like it's working now, and through Google's own system. There's a message down the bottom of the Chat Features settings that says "Chat features from Google provided by Jibe mobile."

Sean1985

Hi,

I received the same message and went through all the steps and it says I'm connected but still sending SMS and no chat. Pixel 4XL.

PerrythePixel

Same here. Everything now sends (no longer just get "sending...") but messages are going via SMS

Sean1985

I had to wait for others to have it done on their phones as well. Such a process. I've got one friend completed and we are back in Chat again. 

@PerrythePixel wrote:

Same here. Everything now sends (no longer just get "sending...") but messages are going via SMS

Spencer5

When your friends are connected you will have chat. When my partner got the message we are now both online and can see activity.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit