Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Resolution of call issues on using BOOST SIM on Oppo phones

Hi guys,

I feel like sharing my experience so that others do not face the issue. Oppo phones are sold by Optus and though not explicitly declared to the customers, these have a special hardware partnership with Optus such that some frequency bands (mostly of the competitors like TELSTRA - 850 MHz) are not supported. So even if your phone specification shows compatibility with LTE band 5 (850 MHz), it might not be actually supported by the device. Moreover, these have network locking to Optus.

Unaware of this fact, I switched to TELSTRA network (BOOST SIM) on my Oppo A1601 and got my network unlocked by OPTUS customer care, only to find the internet and text services functioning but not the phone calls. After considerable research on forums and phone calls, I went to the Oppo service center and got my motherboard replaced (fortunately for free). The issue got solved then. 

I would therefore, advise any user who purchased phone through a service provider and wishes to switch the network to some other service provider, to test a friend's SIM of the target service provider on your handset before going for the change.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit