Craigness
Level 1: Cadet

Samsung Galaxy S2 - Number Prefixes and Messaging

Hello,

I got my new Samsung Galaxy S2 yesterday, and ported my number over from Vodafone. I imported contacts from facebook and google etc.

I am having very annoying issues with the messaging. When I send a message to a mobile number ie 0410 123 456, the message sends fine. However when I recieve a message from that person the number is shown as 61410 123 456 and it starts a new message thread. When I try and reply to this number, the message sending fails. One thing to note is that when I recieve a phone call, the number displays correctly (ie without the prefixes) and caller ID works fine.

I called Telstra support and they said it's a Samsung issue, I called Samsung and they said to try the SIM in another phone (which I did, my old iPhone 3GS) and everything was fine. Which leads me to believe it is a handset / Android issue. They said do a hard reset which I haven't tried but will do soon.

This is extremely annoying and quite frankly a deal breaker for me, the most basic function IMO.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Craig.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
jokiin
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - Number Prefixes and Messaging

haven't used that handset but does it have a region/country setting, this normally impacts number formatting if set incorrectly
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Craigness

Yeah its all set up to the correct location. Doesnt make any difference if I change it then change it back..
jokiin

if you send a new message rather than replying in that same 614xxxxxxxx format does it still fail? try prefixing with a + if it does fail
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Craigness

When I use +61410123456 it works fine, when i use 0410123456 it works fine. The only problem is that the messages i am receiving from this person are coming in with the number as 61410123456, with no + hence the fail..
jokiin

@Craigness wrote:
When I use +61410123456 it works fine, when i use 0410123456 it works fine. The only problem is that the messages i am receiving from this person are coming in with the number as 61410123456, with no + hence the fail..

if you save their number with the + prefix in your contacts what happens then when they send you a message and you try to reply?

Craigness

Same thing, messages fail. I just did a test and can confirm that this seems to be a Vodafone - Telstra issue, but only on this phone. The iphone 3gs doesn't do it.
Candamyers

im finding that non telstra galaxy s2 phones dont like google sync when it comes to messages. what shows up on your screen when they call?

jokiin

@Craigness wrote:
Same thing, messages fail. I just did a test and can confirm that this seems to be a Vodafone - Telstra issue, but only on this phone. The iphone 3gs doesn't do it.

they are just using the SIM in a regular phone, anything unusual on the other end at all?

jokiin

notice in this thread a similar issue and it related to contacts imported from Google, coincidence maybe? http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Android/MMS-issue/m-p/19764

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit