butwhy
Level 2: Rookie

Samsung Galaxy S2 Reception Issues

Hi,

I've got a SGS2 which I'm having reception issues with. I've sent it back 4 times to service centres (1 to Fonebiz, 2x to the Samsung Service Plaza), with the issue being unresolved.

When the signal strength is moderate, I will intermittently experience severe fluctuations in reception. From 3-4 bars down to no reception and back up again in about 5 secs. This is bad enough to drop multiple calls (I've never dropped so many calls ever). This is in areas where my other phone (Motorola Defy) on Telstra too, sitting right next to each other, will have 4-5 bars reception and not skip a beat. Interestingly, the phone will have difficulties changing networks when the reception is patchy - ie when 3Telstra has no reception, it will take a few minutes it will take a few minutes before it will flick over to the full reception Telstra Mobile network. It does affect internet speeds, but the biggest complaint is the call reception. Other people have no complaints at all.

I am on Telstra, I've had the SIM replaced with no change. I live in metro melbourne, about 7km from the CBD.

I'm at a complete loss on where to go next. I love the phone, but honestly the reception is terrible. Does anyone else have any suggestions?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Joe-Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 Reception Issues

Hi butwhy,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having reception issues with your Samsung Galaxy S2 handset.

We have received confirmation that by upgrading to latest firmware, this will fix connectivity/reception issues.

Refer to Smartphone Software Updates for more information on when new updates will be released for your handset.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

kimmh72
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Butwhy,
My fiancee and I have also had the same issues as you and been unable to make/receive calls or hold calls for the full duration since getting these phones approx 6-8 weeks ago. I am in the process of dealing with the TIO as there has been no resolution yet! Also, we have done all our upgrades and nothing has changed.
Please let me know how you go with this. Teltra sold us these phones informing us they were AAA for reception! They got that wrong!
Good luck,
Kim
Ianford147
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Butwhy,do you have a protective cover on your handset? I had an alloy one with a soft rubber rim that severely screwed up my reception eh. Soon as I took it off, it worked fine, stopped overheating also.
Angiejl

I had exactly the same issue, for a long time I have had little or no reception in areas that my son who has by galaxy S on the same network gets good connection, I couldn't get reception in the lunch room at work, until hubby suggested I take off the hard plastic metalic cover I had on the phone .. OMG .. I usually have full bars now in places I use to get the dreaded crossed out circle. 🙂
mcquade181

The Galaxy S2 has very average reception, although mine did improve a little with the latest 2.3.6 firmware. The problem switching between 3G and GSM (and vice versa) is a known bug in the original 2.3.3 firmware.
I understand that Telstra very nearly didn't release the GS2 at all because of its crap reception on the 850MHz band, and only did after Samsung produced a modified "T" version (Model number GT-I9100T), which includes a 850MHz band pass filter (which also prevents its use on other bands). 
As other people have suggested, try removing any protective covers which may be shielding the internal antenna.

VHood

Having the same issues, have upgraded software, had replacement sim and the first thing I thought of was removing the cover to see if that impacted reception but doesn't make any noticeable difference.

Telstra's attitude seems to be blase, but as customers paying a premium for service and calls I expect better.  They said they would send my phone off for testing but by the sounds of it that is pretty fruitless.  I live in Geelong so coverage should be 100% and work in Melbourne.  phone waivers from zero bars coverage "emergency calls only" to full coverage.  Phone is useless on the 1hr 20min train journey, the main reason I switched to Telstra in the first place. 

I find I have to reboot the phone to get coverage a few times a day.  Very intermittent.  I feel very trapped by Telstra having locked all our phone and internet services into 24mth contracts, only to find they have changed plans to offer less value, I am more likely to be speaking to a Filipino call centre in future and I have very poor phone coverage.  None of this is worth the premium we pay.

Ben
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi VHood & welcome to CrowdSupport,

If you have spoken to a store/tech support and they have conducted all the normal troubleshooting with you and then recommended sending your handset off to our repair centre, I would tend to agree with their recommendation. The repair centre will then be able to check the ins and outs of the phone to make sure everything is connected securely internally and that everything is setup correctly.

The other option you have, is to complete a Mobile Network Coverage Feedback form if you are not getting coverage where the maps say you should. This is sent directly to our network techs who investigate and they will get back to you with their next steps.

In regards to the plans we offer changing, this wouldnt impact you as you would continue on the plans that you signed up to until you change off of them. Its not uncommon for people to still have & use plans that we stopped offering years ago.

Cheers,

Ben B
Telstra Digital Sales & Service

Have you checked out the Community Guidelines or the Community Knowledge Base lately?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Juzman
Level 17: Bureau Chief

@mcquade181 wrote:

The Galaxy S2 has very average reception, although mine did improve a little with the latest 2.3.6 firmware. The problem switching between 3G and GSM (and vice versa) is a known bug in the original 2.3.3 firmware.
I understand that Telstra very nearly didn't release the GS2 at all because of its crap reception on the 850MHz band, and only did after Samsung produced a modified "T" version (Model number GT-I9100T), which includes a 850MHz band pass filter (which also prevents its use on other bands). 
As other people have suggested, try removing any protective covers which may be shielding the internal antenna.

I've never had issues with signal on Gingerbread, Ice Cream Sandwich or JellyBean. The I9100T version will work fine on other frequencies too, depending on which modem you flash.

yarney

I to am having the same problem as you VHood

It will loose coverage all the time i can not use the phone till i reboot it, Then i get full coverage again it dose this at least 3 times a week.

I have taken it back to get fixed they did replace some parts and updated firmware it was ok for a week at best i then took it back again after about 3 weeks.

This time the shop (JB HiFi) replaced the sim only a couple of days it started loosing coverage again. I took it back again yesterday now wating to get it back. It's driving me crazy i am on a buniness plan and loosing work because of no reception

I aften go in remote areas on weekends 2 hours from the city (Brisbane) and won't have coverage when other members of my group also on Telstra have full signal.

I am also getting sick of setting up the phone when i get it back

I only have 2 months till the warranty runs out so i hope they will get it right this time i'm not confident it will be fixed tho

yarney

An up date it's been 5 weeks today i still havn't got the phone back yet Man Frustrated

It wound want be fixed after all this time

yarney

Another update

I got the phone back only took 8.5 weeks had it for 2 weeks started playing up again took it back again

Got a replacement same model phone it was used tho, Had it for 2 weeks now this one is freezing all the time and wifi doesn't work it's going back today The phone is out of warrenty now but has been in repair for 12 weeks great phone NOT

Jan

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit