Fungus101
Level 6: Bloodhound

Samsung Galaxy S3 3G JellyBean Update

Okay so a couple of issues about this update.

1: The inability to edit the 4 main apps in JellyBean. I have the Telstra SGS3 and my sister has an overseas unlocked model (still GT-I9300T), which is running the same operating version (slightly different Kernal version), her phone CAN still do this. Which leads me to believe it's a feature of the (Australian?) ROM. Just thought you guys should know that we ARE alone on that one.

2: I'm tired of the bugs; when I first purchased it back in June, i had a battery problem with something called "GPSD", absolutely just destroyed my battery within an hour or so. I rooted my phone (didn't flash a new ROM) and deleted some bloatware apps to try and get rid of it, that worked. Then we had the bugfix update which unrooted my phone and restored the uninstalled apps, I didn't get my GPSD battery problem back, but I did get a lot of bugs (ironically) to which I had to do a factory reset to get rid of. Now with this new version of Android my phone is slower, crashes all the time, randomly restarts itself, uses way more RAM than it previously did, randomly exits my stock messaging app, has lost the feature to quickly change volume profiles between completely silent and vibrate through using the volume keys. The worst of them all though, is the battery munching GPSD thing is back and I can only get about 2 hours of battery if I don't restart my phone to clear the cache.

I don't particularly want to do another factory reset, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to though, I know that things I've complained about are "features" as listed by Samsung and that the other stuff I will probably have to fix myself. I just wanted to get my complaint out, with hopefully many others, so that Samsung can get some idea that removing functionality will annoy customers and drive them away, also making an unstable update will annoy customers as well and drive them away. It's one thing to make a fantastic phone, it's another thing to maintain it properly, which right now Samsung is doing a pretty bad job of. 

Anyway, that's my 2 cents

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
princessluna
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 3G JellyBean Update

Since the update my phone's battery life has gone down dramatically. I've gone from at least 16 hours of solid battery life with average use to 12 hours at most. I can leave my phone off charge over night while I sleep and wake up to a phone with 50% battery life. I have disabled all sync from my accounts, GPS, bluetooth, enable power saving, and still suffer major battery drain.

My phone will be fully charged at 11pm, and by 7am the next morning I will be pushing 60% at best. When I was on ICS I would wake up to at most a 10% drop in battery life (averaging around 85%-90%. While I'm at work with my phone in my pocket I can actually watch the battery go flat.

I don't understand how this is the case, Jelly Bean is supposed to bring battery improvements. I might have to try rooting and flashing a custom ROM to restore my battery life.

Fungus101

I'm thinking of flashing the firmware my sister has, she doesn't have any problems and still has the normal app editing ability. I don't particularly want to flash unofficial firmware as I like the UI and UX of the SGS3 , so I'm thinking flash what she has and I should be okay.

AusRM
Level 5: Eagle Eye

The gpsd issue has been well documented; I'm surprised it's still an issue as you are.

the fix I found is to turn off the location services under your samsung account for locating the phone remotely; I now use an app called cerberus that performs the same functions as those available from samsung, and uses far less battery.

http://blog.gadgethelpline.com/gpsd-stop-samsung-galaxy-siiis-battery-life/

Hope this helps.

Fungus101

So it's the Samsung account location services is it? I actually do have Cerberus installed on it. I'll disable location services for the Samsung account and see how I go. Thanks 🙂

SAPaleAle

Did the update last night (before I went out so I wasnt drunk when I did the update Smiley Happy ) the phone itself is fine and feels quicker however it was very slow to charge (12% charge increase in 6 hours) on the samsung charger. I plugged it into my blackberry charger and it began charging fine. I plugged the samsung charger into the blackberry and it charges that fine. There are mentions of this issue on various forums around the world but I could not find any definite answer. Has anybody seen this issue ?

miccle

Jelly Bean update has crucified my phone battery life...Surely there must be a software fix to this....as it is clearly a software driven problem.??  This must have been a known problem...would have been nice to have been told before hand...there's no way I would have updated!   Not good enough.

AusRM

As with any Android update "patch", there can be no guarantee that after installation one or more of your installed apps may not function correctly.

My personal preference is to backup all photos, files etc that I would like to keep, install patch, wipe sd cards (internal & external) and perform a hard factory reset before complaining too much about any battery bugs etc.

There are just too many unknown variables otherwise.

Fungus101

The problem with that, though, is that we shouldn't have to do all that. Especially the people that have no idea about all this stuff and just think its a bad phone, manufacturers really should be able to design a stable update that doesn't entail the end consumer having to fully wipe everything on their phone and then do a restore. It's just time wasting and frustrating

haydencoonan
Level 13: Super Sleuth

Definitely agree with that Fungus.. The phone needs to be usable by the average user and have the room to be better for the advanced users..
AusRM

Can see where you're coming from fungus.

Don't get me wrong, I'm an android fan but also a believer of "horses for courses"

Unfortunately the basis of the Android operating system is such that if you don't update, you might miss out.

This is not always the case however.

My point above is that honestly 9 times out of 10; any issues arising from a patch style update are caused by applications with compatibility issues eg. memory processes might be handled differently, causing that awesome app you installed that has had no update to behave completely differently.

I have argued for a while that customers who are after a new phone /contract should be sold a phone they are comfortable with.

Then again, updates are a choice, not mandatory.

If it ain't broke, (for your use) don't worry about the update.
Fungus101

Well I've had enough, the way this phone is acting is ridiculous and totally not acceptable, I can barely even send a text sometimes it gets so slow and laggy, randomly quitting stock apps and that sorta stuff. I'm going to flash my sister's stock ROM and let you know how it goes.

AusRM

No worries fungus, let us know how it goes.
JV911

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 3G JellyBean Update (niggles)

Hi all,

New member here - just thought I'd post re a few bugs I've had since the 4.1.1 release. Thankfully nothing major, more frustrating than anything else. Note I really only use my phone for, well, phone calls, SMS and internet. No fancy apps or anything.

- Phone doesn't vibrate when I get an SMS (I fixed this after doing some googling and found that there is a second set of settings in the messaging app)

- Phone has rebooted by itself in 3 or 4 times

- Screen is ultra-sensitive (frustrating when you keep opening internet links by accident)

- I'm certain the favourites and page toggle buttons have been switched in the internet browser (now I keep opening another page instead of accessing favourites and vice versa...again frustrating! why change something that's not broken?)

- Phone is laggy

Apparently 4.1.2 is the bee's knees. Bring it on.

TazBaz

@JV911 wrote:

Hi all,

New member here - just thought I'd post re a few bugs I've had since the 4.1.1 release. Thankfully nothing major, more frustrating than anything else. Note I really only use my phone for, well, phone calls, SMS and internet. No fancy apps or anything.

- Phone doesn't vibrate when I get an SMS (I fixed this after doing some googling and found that there is a second set of settings in the messaging app)

- Phone has rebooted by itself in 3 or 4 times

- Screen is ultra-sensitive (frustrating when you keep opening internet links by accident)

- I'm certain the favourites and page toggle buttons have been switched in the internet browser (now I keep opening another page instead of accessing favourites and vice versa...again frustrating! why change something that's not broken?)

- Phone is laggy

Apparently 4.1.2 is the bee's knees. Bring it on.

I second that, hope it gives back the ability to change the home screen "docK" icons too, you know just like everyone else in the rest of the world canSmiley Frustrated

Fungus101

Well guys, after finally getting some time to actually sit down and do this I've flashed the carrier independent United Kingdom ROM onto my phone, it's now stable with no hiccups and I can also move my icons around without hitting options and edit 😄 I'm also extremely happy that I can finally move the icons from the main app tray xD Google Now is much better (I flashed the 4.1.2 ROM) and I'm absolutely adoring multiwindow and the other Note II features. Why Samsung reduced customisation/functionality for the Australian ROM, I have no clue, but I'm extremely pleased with this UK ROM 🙂 

Gandalf

HI Fungus 101, I use "SPB Shell 3D" on my S34G. Compared to "TouchWiz" it allows more customisation for some things, less customization for other things and definitely allows you to change the four main apps at the bottom of the screen. If you try SPB Shell 3D it might be useful, when pressing the home key, to always select the "Just Once" option so you can quickly compare the differences between it and TouchWiz. Once you are sure you want to stick with SPB you can then make it the default. If you change your mind later you can easily clear its defaults through the Settings menu.

I know you shouldn't have to buy extra software to make your device do what YOU want but that's life in the tech world.

Gandalf

Hi JV911, I use a Galaxy S3 4G with the latest updates (to 4.1.2) as at March 2013. Because of my age I found the ultra sensitive screen frustrating and had to learn a few new handling procedures. I have just purchased an Otter Box Defender (with belt clip) and the extra see-through cover that comes with the Defender has provided a slightly reduced sensitivity tha I find much less finicky. The only bad thing so far about the Defender is the extra weight but that's the pay off for the security and protection it provides. It also makes a very good non-slip holder that sits securely in the dash when I am using the device for navigatoin. Look at You Tube for a review of the product if you think it's worth considering.

molanjames

T-Mobile users who own the Samsung Galaxy S3 can update their smartphones to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean via the SynergyROM, which brings several improvements and new features.some of them are
1. * Jelly Bean 4.1.2 - A hybrid framework created by us with pieces from the S3/Note2 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 frameworks
2. *  Multiwindow with free-floating windows, created exclusively by Team Synergy!
3. *  23 notification toggles
4. *  4-in-1 reboot menu
5. *  Fully rotating homescreen

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit