evilsibling
Level 2: Rookie

Samsung Galaxy S3 Freezes randomly

Ive seen other users complain of similar symptoms but they dont quite match mine.

basically the phone will freeze out of the blue. usually its when im not using the phone, e.g. its sitting on my desk. I'll pick it up to check my emails or SMSes but i'll find that the screen wont come on. The device appears to still be running because the notification LED is still blinking, but i cant get the phone to wake up. The soft buttons and the home button dont respond.

I have to hold the power button in to cause the phone to restart.

It has only frozen on me once while I was using it. I unlocked the screen, went into my SMSes, the screen went blank except for the notification bar at the top, it still showed signal strength and battery icons. The soft keys would respond in that they would light up when touched and the phone would make a touch sound, but they didnt actually cause the phone to do anything. no matter how many times i pressed the back button or the home button the phone just wouldnt do anything.

Held in the power button to restart it.

The phone usually freezes at least once a day but so far its only frozen maybe 4 times in a single day which isnt too bad considering others are reporting freezing 20 times a day.

Ive factory reset the phone and didnt restore anytthing. didnt sign in to google or samsung account. didnt install any apps, nothing, no contacts, it was a plain phone. I still had my original SD card installed though.

Left the phone like that for a week. no problems at all.

did another factory reset on the phone. during the initial set up i keyed in my username and password for my Samsung account but i chose NOT to restore from backup. Did the same with the Google account. Within 5 or 10 minutes of completing the initial setup the phone had frozen.

Deleted the Samsung account on my phone. The next day the phone froze again.

I'm completely stumped as to what could be causing this. It seems logical to me that its a phone setting or a background process that is causing it to freeze.

Model number: GT-I9300T

Android Version: 4.1.2

Baseband Version: i9300TDUELL2

Kernel Version:

3.0.31-750912

dpi@dell158#1

SMP PREEMPT Wed Dec 26 20:38:22 KST 2012

Build number: JZO54K.I9300TDUELL2

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES 22
daisy1
Level 1: Cadet

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3 Freezes randomly

I have the same problem with my Galaxy S3 which has all the same model/serial numbers as yours.

I spoke to Samsung support and on their advice did a Factory Data Reset which didn't solve the problem. They then suggested sending the phone away for repair which would involve at least a 2 week turn around.  Not really a practical solution as most people can't afford to be without a phone for that long.

evilsibling

I've got no problem sending my phone in, Telstra will provide a loan phone while my phone is at the repair center.

My concern is that this problem is so intermittent, cant be replicated, and is really pointing to anything as a potential cause of the problem that im afraid ill send it away for a week or two only to have the repair center send it back saying no fault found.

Or that they might have trouble identifying the problem, try a bunch of generic fixes like firmware update, etc send it back telling me its fixed only to have it balk on me again.

brydiek84

I've been having this problem for weeks now. Phone freezes about 20 times a day and turns itself off and on again. Drives me insane! Today I had Telstra send my phone away for "repairs" for the third time. They keep telling me it will be replaced. So I'll see in a week if this is the case.

Mickb83
Level 10: Junior Detective

My fiance got her phone back today after sending it in to be looked at for the same issue. At its worst (the day we finally decided to take it into the store) she had up to 8 freezes within 30mins.
The report provided when it was returned was that they replaced the main board and updated to the latest software. So far, fingers crossed it's working and is much faster than before.
Joe-Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey evilsibling,

Firstly, welcome to CrowdSupport 🙂 Please stick around and offer any expertise you may have in the range of topics we have here in our Community.

I recommend to please visit your local Telstra store and make an appointment with the Tech Bar Team to have this phone assessed for any faults if you've not already done so.

If you don't have one in your area, you can actually send this directly to our National Mobile Repair Team by attaching the completed form from our Mobile Device Faults site. 

Please keep us updated on how you are going with this evilsibling. Thank you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

jhiley

I am also having this problem with my s3. After doing some research on the net i have found the problem and how to fix it.

But guess what? if you have have your phone with telstra as i do and its locked, your stuffed. thanks to telstra and dragging their feet as usual.

Forget pulling the battery or doing factory resets, they won't work. And as far as giving your phone phone to telstra to 'repair', forget that as well because they are doing nothing and then giving your phone back saying there is nothing wrong or that they have repaired it, which is just a factory reset and this will not fix it.

The problem is in the firmware that telstra is currently using. When the update firmware 4.1.2 came out it had the sudden death bug which samsung quickly updated that firmware to fix the problem. This created a write problem which freezes and reboots the phones.

Samsung has updated this firmware and things are now good. Unless your with telstra, like me. We are stuck with a firmware update that causes this problem.

Check your phones firmware and if it has 'i9300tduell2' you have this problem.

It is telstra who is the problem because they are not quick enough to release these updates that samsung announces.

Do yourself a favour, demand an s4 unlocked for their trouble.

jhiley

Footnote: All telstra android phones are NOT locked.
You can update the firmware using samsung firmware without voiding warranties.
Telstra IS NOT delivering the updated firmware until Late August.
Please inform me if you would like help doing this.
evilsibling

just got a call from the Telstra store letting me know my phone has been repaired and is ready for collection.

Asked the lady on the phone what the repair was.

She said:

* Checked mlotherboard

* Realligned everything

* Reinstalled software

I dont have high hopes the phone is fixed. checking  the mobo and realligning everything does not sound like the problem was identified. It sounds like steps they might take if they cant pin point the problem.

But I'll see how it goes when I get it back. Historically, after doing a factory reset the phone would lock up within minutes of signing in to my Google or Samsung account.

Otherwise it might be hours or days before it locks up or reboots again.

JesseS
Support Team
Support Team

Great to hear that it's back from repair and I hope that this is all sorted out for you now.

If you have any further trouble please don't hesitate to let us know and I can follow this up personally for you.

Thanks.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

jhiley

Re Installed the software means you will have the same firmware that causes the problem in the first place.
I have since updated my firmware and fixed the problem along with some bonuses, way better battery life, no telstra bloat and home screen bottom icons unlocked
westie13

Options
a week ago

Footnote: All telstra android phones are NOT locked.
You can update the firmware using samsung firmware without voiding warranties.
Telstra IS NOT delivering the updated firmware until Late August.
Please inform me if you would like help doing this.

please show us how to do this

Thank you
Woodchukka

Wife has S3 and it has been freexing randomly and the Telstra shop "Had not seen that before". There is a line I have not hear before. Then said the phone must have been dropped to cause the issue. As it is out of warranty sending it away will only cost $ with from what I have read here and elsewhere for no gain. As a result my wife has purchased an S4. It is a shame the update is so slow coming as running a small business waiting for the problem to be fixed was not an option. I don't blame Telstra for the fault but some recognition for an obvious fault would be nice.

Ashleyb

Im so glad im not the only person having this issue.

mine previously went to insurance for a cracked screen and the freezing problem they only fixed the screen but then the colours were distorted on some apps. then when installing apps it would freeze all the time and then back the usual problems with messages and notifications.

im going to pick my phone up this afternoon so we will see how i go with installing all my apps and the problems with it it freezing. i can see myself being there at lunch tomorrow returning my phone.

the lady at the store just told me that after 3 times of sending the phone away they can neogiate to get you a new phone or cancel the contract. personally i would be happy with a new 4g s4 phone but we will see.

evilsibling

Its been some time since I originally posted this problem and its also been a while since I got my phone back from the repair shop.

Since I got the phone back its been working flawlessly.

As soon as I got the phone back I sat on the bench outside the telstra store, installed my sim card, and memory card, and proceeded to try to get the phone to freeze.

I ran all the apps that had caused it to freeze in the past. I added all my accounts back onto the phone - Google, Samsung, Exchange, Facebook, Twitter, DropBox, etc because adding any of those accounts would have caused the phone to freeze before the repairs. No issues this time.

I tried stress testing the phone by shooting long videos then saving them to memory card. I used the rapid photo shoot feature to shoot like 30 pictures at once. I think i did that 20 times. The phone didnt even hiccup.

And since I've had it back the issue has not returned. So I'd say my phone is fixed which is absolutely great because its no longer frustrating to use, its a joy to use!

Groveldog

Good to hear, evilsibling. I'm tossing up taking my phone to Telstra and losing it for two weeks, or to an independent shop for a foreign firmware update. Either way worries me!

Do you still have DUELL2 as your baseband?

ktbeau

How do we get help to fix this please.
evilsibling

I thought reading this thread might have given you some clues on how to get this particular problem resolved...aparrently not.

If you're on a plan with Telstra and your phone is still under warranty then Call Telstra support and explain the problem. They'll probably book your phone in for repair which means you'll need to back up your phone to your computer and then take it to a Telstra store.

About a week later you should get a call about the problem. they'll explain what the problem is and what they'll do to fix it. Or in my case, I sent the phone off and a couple of weeks later I got a call telling me its fixed (under warranty) and ready to picked up.

Its not difficult, You might be without a phone for a couple of weeks or you can probably borrow one of Telstra's loaner phones.

evilsibling

Hi Groveldog,

I still have DUELL2 as the baseband.

If your phone is under warranty maybe start by taking it to Telstra first. Once its out of warranty then you can play around with foreign firmwares.

You can probably borrow a loaner phone from Telstra while your phone is in for repairs. They are nothing fancy, just a basic feature phone.

My partner and I change phones fairly frequently so I'm lucky enough to have a handful of spare smart phones I can use for a couple of weeks. The only catch for me is the sim-card because all my other phones take a full sized sim. Sometimes Telstra can help with a sim adapter though.

Djsatu

Okay try this if you havn't done it already:

1. Type *#0011# on your dialer to go into Service Mode.

2. From there, go to Settings by pressing the left hard key

3. Navigate to wifi and turn off power setting mode.

This solved the problem for me.

However if you turn your phone off and again, the procedure will have to be repeated on each restart as its temporary.
I hope this helps, Good Luck!

anyonahk

I have the same problem. Just started  a few days ago and it became worse by the hour! I went in to Samsung stores in the CBD and they weren't helpful. One of the worst customer service ever had. They took the phone and flashed it (Which is basically remounting the software again) . I insisted to the guy that it wont fix the problem and he said firmly to my face with little reassurance that it will fix the problem. All went well the whole day and night until this morning when I woke up and started  taking  photos with it. It just freezed!!! Had to reboot it again. Before that I had gone to Telstra shop who were willing to send it for repairs. Actually for any phone purchased after 1st April the warranty of any mobile device is 24 months.(According to Australian Consumer Law). So for any of you out their thinking your warranty is 12 months, you might just be surprised the device has 24month warranty by the manufacturers(samsung in this case). 

NOW I DON'T know what to do with this S3. It's just frustrating. Might have to go through Telstra.

caitlinbeaton

Has this update fixed the problem? My phne is freezing also and not to sure where to get this update?
woof14

Did Telstra ever replace your phone.  I am still having issues and have sent it away twice so far.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit