cabbagepatchkid
Level 1: Cadet

Samsung Galaxy S4 bloatware

Hello everyone,

Can someone who has access to the new S4 from Telstra confirm how much bloatware and crap has been preloaded?

Between the bloatware, the limited 16GB model and the high pricing from Telstra, I'm seriously thinking of buying one outright elsewhere.  My only reason for staying is the ombudsmen will support you if you get your phone with a plan.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 bloatware

Don't know how much bloatware is added by Telstra these days, but on my S3 the only Telstra added bloatware that I can identify is the TesltraOne app which takes up 5.83MB of space (bugger all really).

The 16GB S4, after Samsungs flavour of Android is loaded, leaves you with about 9.14GB of onboard storage. With Telstra's bloatware, this would reduce to about 9.13GB or thereabouts.

I doubt you would get any benefit from buying from elseware unless you loaded a custom ROM that doesn't have the extra applications that Samsung has added to its' firmware. Of course, if you buy the 32GB version from elsewhere you would have more onboard storage available but your warranty would reduce to the Samsung Warranty in effect.

It is kind of ridiculous that the Firmware takes up over 40% of the available space.  Too many of the "Look at me, Look at me" features that you will probably never use have been added to the base firmware. They really should be optional that can be installed if yuo want them.  Hopefully Samsung wakes up to this fairly quickly.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
cabbagepatchkid

Even more reason for Samsung/Telstra to offer us more than the **bleep**ty 16GB version.  We aren't a 3rd world backwater, so why can't we have the 32GB or 64GB options ?

cabbagepatchkid

Seriously - this forum automatically censors "s.h.i.t.t.y."....seriously ??

Monty
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi guys,

Not too sure about 'Bloatware' - TelstraOne is pre-loaded, for customer service, news, sport and weather - our Google Play records show this as a whopping 3.9 MB Smiley Happy

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.telstra.products.telstraone&hl=en

Thanks

Monty H

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

cabbagepatchkid

Thanks for the feedback Monty. 

I asked about bloatware because my existing HTC Desire had so much junk loaded (that can't be uninstalled) that I am barely able to install anything on the unit. I frequently have times where my email sync fails due to space availability.  Even moving apps / data to SD card doesn't help.

Anyway that'ss my rant, and I thank you for your time.

Jupiter

I had a desire as my previous phone, and yes, they had a lot of bloatware added.

Luckily Telstra has changed their thinking on what they really need to load onto phones for their customers.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Boostmyphone

Yeah bloatware on the htc desire was pretty bad so went to a custom rom but really all I want now is a 64GB version of the samsung galaxy S4 and I will be happy again.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit