Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Samsung Galaxy S4 Wi-Fi issues

I purchased my S4 around June/July 2013 as an upgrade from my S2. Everything worked great on the phone for a few months and then it got the S4 wireless issue going around.

From what I have seen on a multitude of different forums the S4 suffers from one or more of the following:

1. Turn wireless on (either from notification panel or settings) and instantly turns off
  2. Wireless turns on but doesn't recognise access point within home or otherwise
  3. Wireless will turn on, recognise AP, be able to connect for some unknown period (seconds to days) and disconnect again
  4. Wireless will turn on, recognise AP, stay connected but will continually drop the internet connection or give a message something along the lines of internet connection unstable, please disconnect.

My S4 is suffering from 1, 2, 3 and 4, depending on what day of the week it may be. I also can not setup wireless tethering from my phone. My home networking setup has not changed between when I had my S2 and my S4. My home computer can still recognise and connect to my access point (TP-Link TD-W8960N), along with my partners S3, Samsung Slate PC tablet, a Toshiba laptop, my Samsung TV, PS3 and a Canon printer, so my wireless modem/router can't be faulted. Here are the potential fixes I have tried from various forums:

1. Restart phone
  2. Turn phone on and off
  3. Factory Reset (tried connecting to wireless just after doing reset and wireless still did not work, thinking it may have been permissions from an application messing with the wireless. Factory reset was done when Android 4.2.6 was installed, haven't tried with 4.3 as I don't think it is going to make a difference)
  4. Updated Firmware on access point
  5. Set access point to open instead of WPA2/WPA-PSK
  6. Set encryption to TKIP/AES instead of just AES
  7. Within the wireless settings on my S4 I have tried both using DHCP and setting a static IP
  8. Also tried 'Forget' when the wireless SSID was displayed and connecting again
  9. Setting the access point to only use 802.11b/g instead of 802.11b/g/n.

I have done different combinations of 1 through to 8 and all have failed miserably. The most recent part of my fault finding is 9 (stable for about 4 hours and has now also failed whilst writing this sentence) but has been the most successful.

I spoke with support this morning about my options of sending my S4 back and was informed that it would take 3 times before Telstra would issue a new phone. Since Samsung have acknowledged that this is a common problem to the majority of S4's and are not going to be resolving the issue, sending it back 3 times would seem like a waste of time/money given the outcome will remain the same. Due to this wireless problem I have had to buy a $30 data pack to go on top of my $100 plan repayments as to not be bent over with fees from going over my data limit, so sending my phone back and forth is not an ideal outcome. This is not an issue with Telstra at all, but with Samsung, unfortunately you are the service provider and I'm not a happy customer.

Is there something you can provide that I already haven't tried (i.e. what tech support would try if I sent the phone to them, apart from restart, power on/off and factory reset it) and please post whether it is a viable outcome sending my phone to tech support 3 times. If they can't figure out the same problem the first time then what is the point the sending the phone off twice more? I can print off this tech thread and take into my local Telstra store to inform them of the outcome.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Highlighted

Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 Wi-Fi issues

Also tried *#0011# to access service mode and turn off Wi-Fi power saving mode.

Highlighted

Do any Moderators here have a technical/electronic qualification?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi macman1,

In response to the most recent post, yes, some do. Smiley Happy

I'm sorry that the community hasn't been able to help you so far, and a representative from mobile tech will take a look at your post during business hours tomorrow.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

I need a resolution on this by the end of the week as I will be travelling interstate and going to see a Telstra store.

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi macman01,

I have sent you a private message in regards to this

I'd suggest to bring it into your local store so we can send it away top our National Repair Centre as per our repair process

Apologies for any inconvenience

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

I just have the issue with the wi-fi, is there anything i can do to fix it because i really dont want to send mine off and not have it for a week or two

Highlighted

Hi macman

Did you get a resolution on this?

Highlighted

Macman and others, I've had this problem intermittently with my SG4 and standard Technicolor TG587n v3 modem. I use My Phone Explorer and rely on wireless for a quick simple update from phone to PC or vice versa. After a number of calls to Help and even a replacement modem...all to no avail...I connected with a young man on phone support yesterday and the problem has been solved..for the time being. Now to explain. It's not the modem. I'd tried rebooting, resetting etc with only rare success. The phone always recognised the signal and the problem occurred while trying to connect. "Authentication error" was the message that resulted from repeated attempts to correct.

He accepted there have been repeated incidences of this and similar wireless problems and that the phone is the problem. They are currently undertaking some form of testing with the SG4 so that's encouraging. He explained that phone updates can reset security parameters (you gurus out there understand that). So it was the phone refusing to accept the wireless connection due to its security. He changed two items on my modem. Under "Wireless Access Point" and "Security" he changed WPA-PSK Encryption from AES to  TKIP&AES and he changed WPA-PSK Version to WPA. It's worked faultlessly ever since.

However, we can expect more trouble as Samsung offer upgrades and he has established a contact point to reach him next time it happens. I found his style and knowledge excellent and I'm confident I can deal with the problem again without going through all the frustration, hassle and experimentation MacMan spoke of. Let's hope....

Highlighted

If there is a solution to this I woudl be VERY interested.

New modem last weekend (Telstra TG797 n v.3) and replacement Galaxy S4 mini. Original was only a month old.

The replacement phone is still dropping off my wifi although not yet as often as the original.

Only device in the house that does this.

Highlighted

thank you for thread how do i set it up on my galaxy s4 in the uk? Where do i go in the cell to change these settings

"Under "Wireless Access Point" and "Security" he changed WPA-PSK Encryption from AES to  TKIP&AES and he changed WPA-PSK Version to WPA. It's worked faultlessly ever since."

thanks,

Highlighted

Colindeanowise1, those settings are for the modem, not the phone. The Telstra modem, Technicolor TG587 nv3, can be configured fronm the web browser by entering its address: 10.0.0.138.The settings are entered via the web page that opens.

However, an update on my earlier optimism. The new GS4 worked faultlessy for about 10 days when I connected via wirelss with my PC to run MyPhonExplorer. I gave up and began using the USB connection. No problems since, more reliable connection, faster transfer and the advantage of being able to use Windows Explorer for file transfer.

I can still connect via wireless to update apps. But I've given up on it for MyPhonExplorer...the software I use every day. And I couldn't trust it to retain a good connection for any length of time...it's still unrealiable.

Highlighted

thanks Edener my s4 has worked perfectly off Wifi for about 8 months and now the last few weeks is useless what could have changed? Any idea what settings  i could check within the cell just to make sure that i have not "unticked" something crucial ?

The Wifi says that it is connected with a strong signel but it does keep serching is that normal? How can i fix it to my home Wifi signal?

Do you know if Samsung resolved the issue in the new S5?

Have a good day Colin.

Highlighted

Colin your message re a strong signal while it keeps searching was one of my symptoms. Even if it connects it sometimes reports "unstable connection". Don't know about the GS5. Can't offer any advice..I tried everything Telstra advised, including the new gear  and what I could get from the blogging. Some have suggested it's just a Samsung thing with specific Android versions. 

Highlighted

Folks, an  update......Although I now use USB to connect my SG4 to my PC to utilise MyPhoneExplorer, I tried something new with WiFi today and it worked....only time will tell. Before you turn WiFi on, turn Mobile Data OFF and then connect via WiFi. Seamless and quick when using MPE. Let's know how you go?

Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

I'm suffering the same issue as you have reported. It seems like you have triied everything that I have also tried in multiple combinations. I'm loath to take up the position that the S4 requires WPA as a solution rather than WPA2. I may as well just let my neigbours use my service if I take that route. Like your self I've ended up paying for extra data packs because the S4 will not reliably connect to a network even when its sitting right in front of it. 

Did you ever manage to get this iissue solved or was it 4.4.2 should have fixed the issue which is now very late from telstra?

So it seems that Telstra has been fully aware that the S4 has critical performance and non-functionality issues on the 4.2.2 software for many months now if I read your message correctly. You would think that they would be trying to promote an upgarde to address the customer problems rather than looking at trying to get 4.4.2 deployed. 

Highlighted

I have to report I gave up.....the intermittrent problem connecting to my PC via my Telstra Technicolour modem  WiFi persisted. I have used the USB cable ever since and it's faultless. I have since purchased a Samsung Galaxy 10" Tab 4 from America and its wireless connection is faultess and strong throughout the house and within 12-30 meters outside. It just has to be the phone, nowing running its latest upgrade of 4.3,  and Telstra have offered no solution.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit