Crinia
Level 2: Rookie

Setup non bigpond email on a telstra mobile

I can receive email on my Android Telstra phone from my email account (not a telstra or bigpond account) but cannot send emails from my phone. Would you please advise what the outgoing settings are.

I have tried using:

server: mail.bigpond.com

port: 25

no security

no sign in

but it does not work.

Crinia

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Crinia

Re: Setup non bigpond email on a telstra mobile

I've tried using the guideline at : http://support.telstra.com.au/t5/Email/ct-p/LSP_Email#item-ARTICLES-LSP_Email-398464

they don't work either. Does it matter that my telstra email is xx@telstra.com rather than a bigpond address?  Do I need to change the server address to mail.telstra.com?

Crinia

I rang telstra for help.

The settings they provided have not helped resolve the issue.

server: mail.bigpond.com

port: 465

security: SSL/TLS

username: my exemail user name

password: my exemail user password

They also said they would ring me back in 5 to 10 minutes - that was an hour ago.  They haven't rung.

Come on Telstra - I just want to set up email on my Telstra phone - why won't you talk to me?

Crinia

I get the following message when I try to setup up the smtp with the info Telstra provided when I rang them.

Can't connect to server. (421 nschwcmgw08p BigPond Outbound refused, too many sessions from 101.170.182.244. 0b007)

What does it mean? Does anyone know what settings i can use to set up the smtp?

Come on Telstra why won't you talk to me I just want to be able to use email on my Teltra mobile.

Crinia

So I try to ring Telstra twice more and each time once I get through all the questions and it starts dialing Telstra hangs up on me. Why won't Telstra talk to me? I just want to set up email on my Telstra mobile.

Crinia

With Telstra not answering phone calls I switched to trying to get help on 24x7 Chat. Is that not working either?

It just says connecting and never connects ( I waited 10 minutes for it to connect).

Why is Telstra making contacting them so difficult?

Crinia

Got onto 24x7 chat After lots of outgoing server settings, port changes, password changes I have non Telstra email on my Telstr a mobile. The answer: Outgoing server: server: mail.bigpond.com port: 465 security: SSL-TLS and most importantly - NO sign in required.

Patrice_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Crinia, 

I am sorry to hear of the issues that you've experienced. 

With your last chat with our team has this since resolved your log in issues?

-Patrice

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit