Vero2
Level 1: Cadet

Sony Xperia XZ F8331 VoLTE

Answered

How to enable 4G voice calling capability?

Telstra texted me:

Hi, you are in a 4G only area. Your device does not have 4G voice calling capability enabled. This means you may not be able to make voice/emergency calls in this area. Visit telstra.com/callhelp to check if you can enable 4G voice calling on your device. If you cannot enable 4G calling on your device, or you choose not to enable it, this limitation will apply to this device each time you enter this area. However, please note you will not receive a reminder every time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Sony Xperia XZ F8331 VoLTE

When you do manage to get through, keep the request very simple for them.

Tell them that you have a Sony Xperia XZ and you need to get VoLTE activated on your service as it is currently not working.

Don't use the term 4G voice calling as they will have no idea what you are talking about.

Using the chat feature in the My Telstra app may be easier to get it dealt with.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Jupiter

Where did you buy the phone from? On those older handsets, Telstra only tended to support VoLTE on handsets that were supplied by them and had the Telstra firmware loaded.

You could try contacting Telstra support and see if they can enable the VoLTE setting for your service.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman

@Jupiter   Telstra used to sell those handsets..  2016 or so I think (Android 6?)..

There is still a support page..

https://mobilesupport.telstra.com.au/sony/xperia-xz-android-6-0/calls-contacts-calendar/i-can-t-make...

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Jupiter

JB Hi-Fi used to sell them unlocked on generic firmware as well. Hence why I asked where they bought it from as the generic firmware ones wouldn't work on VoLTE.

SteveW_52

Yes.. it was possible to flash them with the Telstra f/w..  some I got from the UK as well and did that for them. The Sony's were nice phones I reckon and spare parts were available... was disappointed when they went off the market here..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict 🙂 also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!
Vero2

2hrs later, telstra operators don't understand the issue, and it is impossible to get telstra technicians the lines are busy!!!

Vero2

yes, I bought it at JBHiFi

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

When you do manage to get through, keep the request very simple for them.

Tell them that you have a Sony Xperia XZ and you need to get VoLTE activated on your service as it is currently not working.

Don't use the term 4G voice calling as they will have no idea what you are talking about.

Using the chat feature in the My Telstra app may be easier to get it dealt with.

View solution in original post

Vero2

Thank you... Telstra is so hard to get help from!!!

Basilio12

Thank you so much for yor help 👌

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit