rickdangerous
Level 1: Cadet

TELSTRA'S GALAXY SII 4.0.3 UPDATE FAIL!

After months of waiting and.. Waiting for ICS update we telstra SGS2 owners received the long awaited 2.3.6 firmware update. Which I thought would be the small step to this major overhaul 4.0 software update.. And last night I received the message to install it on my phone.. Finally! Great!

So I backed up all my contacts,messages,pictures,videos to my micro-SD card and removed the card because updating software can wipe priceless files(I've been there before)..

.. downloaded the update"ROM" .. Installed it rebooted my phone to find nothing remotely similar to vanilla 4.0.3 (which the galaxy nexus has)..(and my wifi rooted and rom'd Xoom has too).. But a TouchWiz comb over with ICS font and other useless additives .. New features include super lag.. apps lag, app drawer lag-

(an a really annoying double beeping noise with random pop ups telling me "charging paused.Voltage too high" battery flashing at top right!)

disappointed I go to sleep.. Upset at the fact that I could've done a better job myself heading over to XDA!
(but I waited for the official telstra update).. For warranty reasons obviously!!

And this morning I find my PC wont connect to my phone.. No USB.. No beeps!! No nothing.. And when I restart/reboot the phone a pop up says android is updating.... Why?
So since all my files are backed up  "contacts,messages,pictures,videos to my micro-SD card"
I decided to do a factory reset and start again..

After the reset it scrubbed all my contacts messages wont connect to wifi wont stay on the same keyboard"iphone keyboard" wont stop lagging!! My phone has never lagged this much before..

Now my phone is completely useless.. So telstra what am i supposed to do with a basically bricked phone?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
AusRM
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Re: TELSTRA'S GALAXY SII 4.0.3 UPDATE FAIL!

I installed mine last night.

Took two attempts using KIES, even took phone back to stock 2.3.6 to check out the Telstra ROM.

haven't had any of the problems you are describing above, although I do seem to have a bug when the phone switches between wifi and network data, I get some funky connection timeouts.

I assume that the factory re-set you are doing is by holding the correct keys as the phone boots mate?

holdup
Level 8: Inspector

my phone wont even load up after installing the update, im stuck on the bootscreen...dammit I didnt sign up for this
Lathania
Level 21: Augmented

I'm holding off on updating straight away, I always keep a firmware/software behind on everything I use from Phones to Browsers, there will always be some kind of bug or broken feature with brand new software. It isn't plausible to replicate all the possible conditions of consumers devices in a Beta / devlopment environment and with pretty much everything there will always be bugs until someone reports it. Rickdangerous I'd recommend giving Telstra's Technical Support a call, at best they might have a better way to restore your phone at worst they should be able to replace it / send it in for repairs if you can't figure it out. 

Lathania

hey Lathania,
today i done just that.. after seeing that the phone had lost over 49% charge in 30 mins.. i drove to the local telstra store to seek help.. and now my lovely phone is off away to be repaired two weeks with a loan phone im already losing the plot Smiley Sad
cparker1986
Level 2: Rookie

where about did you get he stock 2.3.6 firmware?
Lathania
Level 21: Augmented

Rick

Haha oh well at least you'll get a replacement thats good to hear. Hopefully you get one already updated if thats what you were hoping for! If not I'd personally hold back on the update for the first 3 months or so. I know I'm very tempted to upgrade but the more I search the forums the more bugs seem to be coming up like for example, apparently in the gallery you can't push "Menu" and share straight to Twitter/Facebook etc but you can from other views so it seems more like a bug than a removed feature.

Lathania

That's one of th reasons I use Quickpic Smiley Wink

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit