jays2
Level 1: Cadet

Teltra $30 auto recharge change

My wife and I have had a prepaid telstra sims now for about 4 years. When we started we set up (after a couple of false starts with the teltra website) auto recharges for both sims for $30 a month and although the casual $30 re-charge was 28 days at the time, the auto recharge was taken on the same calender day each month and both phones worked perfectly with the credit card being charged on the same day each month - all good.

About 12 months ago my credit card was hacked and I had to set up a new recharge for my phone. Since then (again after a few website hiccups) I sorted the auto recharge. Now my auto recharge is occurring every 28 days while my wifes continues on the same calender day each month, the 19th and it has been doing that for the last 6 months without any problems - even the 31 day months do not seem to be an issue

I have spent more time than I would like with the Telstra Message Centre and Telstra Call Centre but I am unable to find a reason for the change/different treatment  I tend to get trite bits of information that I either already know or doesn't relate to the issue I am attempting to resolve which makes me wonder where in the world these centres are - my english is pretty plain.

If Telstra changed their approach I would understand but as 2 phones that are set up identically have different treatments I am left bewildered. 

I have just cancelled and re set a new auto recharge for my phone but won't know if that has worked until next month

Any advice would be most welcome, particluarly as Telstra employees don't seem to be able to help.

If someone has found an alternate service provider that does do better I am also all ears

Cheers

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Teltra $30 auto recharge change

The expiry period details for prepaid plans are detailed at https://www.telstra.com.au/help/critical-information-summaries/personal/pre-paid/prepaid-mobile/tels...

Therein it shows that the expiry for a $30 recharge is 28 days.

jays2

Hi Dowser

Thank you.......You have correctly read the Telstra website.

However, you have missed the essential point which is why is my plan being treated differently to my wife's (they are identical) or why did mine change 12 months back

But thank you anyway

Dowser

You both signed up initially some 4 years ago. Possibly the terms/systems were different back then and your wife’s has continued unchanged.

It appears that yours is different due to you setting up a new recharge 12 months ago, which apparently has new terms/conditions as per the link mentioned.

jays2

Thanks

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Your automatic recharge should only recharge each calendar month (an automatic recharge extends the 28 days to a calendar month). There is something wrong in the system if it is recharging every 28 days.

To get it investigated properly, lodge a formal complaint via https://telstra.com/complaints

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
jays2

Thnaks heaps Jupiter - you are the first to see the problem and have a solution

gbr41
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

I have had similar problems.  Telstra does not provide the ability to edit credit card details when, for example, a new card is issued with a later expiry date.  All Telstra allows you to do is a manual recharge (for 28 days) then after that comes to expiry date use the same credit card again and set up a new auto monthly recharge.  I decided that the best way to go was to manually recharge for 6 months which gives 60 GB for 6 months at 5 months cost ($150 vs $180).  You then need to set yourself a reminder so that you don't let the recharge expire and lose all of your accumulated credits

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit