Frenzy
Level 3: Gumshoe

Video Calls

Hi I have a Nokia 8.3 and recently tried to make carrier video calls to friends but everyone failed, with "call declined" shown on screen during the voice call. I have tried people with various carriers, including mostly Telstra and different phones but all the same result. I don't have any other video calling app loaded including Duo but they do. So I'm wondering why the calls are failing? Do the apps ( FB messenger, Whatsapp, etc) stop them receiving a carrier video call or is something else going on?

Thanks.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Video Calls

Which app were you attempting the video call on?.

cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

You can't make video calls over the normal phone network, you need to use an app such as skype or duo and the other person has to be using the same app.

Jupiter

Are you sure about that? My phone uses the standard phone app to make video calls.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Rohan123
Level 20: Director

Hi @cf4 

My daughter calls me every night via standard video call over the Telstra network.

I don't work for Telstra, Never have, I am just a Telstra customer like you.
So the advice I give is my own, In my own time, Guided by my own experience/knowledge.
Which I am always happy to be corrected on.
Rohan
Rohan123

Hi @Frenzy 

You may find some useful information here. https://www.devicesfaq.com/en/video-calls/nokia-83-5g

If that doesn't help, In the past when this happened to me, The phone needed a firmware update.

This might help you. https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_gb/support/nokia-8-3-5g-user-guide/update-your-phone-software

I don't work for Telstra, Never have, I am just a Telstra customer like you.
So the advice I give is my own, In my own time, Guided by my own experience/knowledge.
Which I am always happy to be corrected on.
Rohan
Mkrtich

Hi - do the people you attempted to connect with Native Video Carrier calling all have Android mobile phones and maybe are Telstra customers only - not aware if other carriers support the feature - someone can confirm please. 

Your last sentence may explain matters - if their Video Apps are open in background mode but not in use, do they see 'Carrier Calling Video' as Enabled in their Mobile Network screens?

https://nokiapoweruser.com/nokia-5-6-get-carrier-video-calling-with-android-8-1-oreo-in-india-how-to... 

Apple does not allow Carriers to modify their OS, so special Video Apps are required if an iPhone is involved. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit