Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Wake Delay on Galaxy S2

I bought a Telstra Galaxy S2 last week and I've noticed that there is an annoying delay when waking the device from sleep. The delay is usually a full second, however if it's been on recently (last 10 seconds) it is more like half a second.

The reason I find this annoying is that my old HTC Desire has always and still wakes immediately. There is absolutely no wake delay.

From doing some research online, I have read that some others have the same issue and they believe it's the device going into a power saving mode. This theory is backed up because when the device is plugged in to power or an application such as music is running, there is no delay whatsoever when waking.

I have factory reset (through the privacy menu and also used the dial code *2767*3855#) and currently have no apps installed or accounts setup, but this has made no difference.

Does anyone else experience this delay or is it normal for the Galaxy line of phones? I want to make sure that I don't just have a faulty device and if it is a fault, I want to sort it out early.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Re: Wake Delay on Galaxy S2

I've had a Galaxy S2 from around launch, and personally haven't had seen this problem.

You mention power saving mode, Im guessing you dont have this running? Also check in settings -> Applications -> Running services and make sure nothing in there is using a heap of memory (say over 20MB) the phone should be able to run with a heap of programs anyway as it has 1GB of RAM but is worth a shot.

Have you checked for an update? I know Optus have had a firmware update recently, but dont know about Telstra.

Highlighted

Hey Wazza,

No, I don't have the power saving mode enabled. From other forums, they suggest that the device may be underclocking itself to go into a type of sleep mode to save battery. I have doubled checked that Settings>Power Saving Mode>Use Power Saving Mode is not enabled just in case.

In regards to Running Services. The largest service is TelstraOne Smiley Happy at 22MB. The next closest is Swype at 18MB. It's weird because the phone doesn't lag anywhere but when waking.

Checked updates in Settings>About Phone>Software Update>Check for Update and there are no updates.

Highlighted

Thats defnitly frustrating then! You really have 2 options.

1. Take it back under warranty- they'll need to send it away for repair, and its probably not the best time in terms of delay on getting it back with Xmas around the corner.

2. Put up with it until a firmware upgrade is released in hopes that it fixes it.

Ideally 1. would be your best option but they usually need to send it away (wont swap it out on the spot) and that might mean your without your new toy over the break Smiley Sad

Good luck! Sorry I couldn't offer any groundbreaking answers.

Merry Christmas

Highlighted

Sounds like I'll be in for a fun ride...  Thanks for your help anyway.

You said you haven't experienced this problem, could you view this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ3pMWTdWHY) and confirm it does not happen on yours. It's not my video, someone else with the same issue.

I just want to be completely sure that it is an actual issue with my phone (I can just see them sending it back saying they can't find anything wrong with it Smiley Mad).

Does it make any difference if I just wait till after the Christmas rush to get it fixed? I guess it has 12 months warranty.

Cheers

[Edit: Issue shown in video only shows when the phone is not plugged in and is not actively running an app such as music or syncing.]

Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

most samsung galaxy s2 take a sec to a full sec to wake up i have 2 samsung galaxy s2 they both take the same secs to wake up.

turn hard resetting your handset if its long then the full sec by pushing up vol +home +pwr

Highlighted

Sorry for the delay, been on holiday. Mines definitely not that slow to wake, it might be that you wait for the firmware update to be released and hope that fixes it.
Highlighted

Thanks for the reply Wazza. On the weekend I had a chance to play with a friend's non Telstra GSII and it definitely was quicker. Maybe it's a Telstra firmware issue.

It's sad that the phone is slower than a 2 year old HTC Desire when waking up.

I guess it's something I'll have to live with as Telstra are saying that this is normal (or is the fact that we put up with it make it 'normal? Smiley Frustrated)

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit