ArtyMarty
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Why did Telstra get a 'usage meter' app kicked out of the app store?

Telstra.  I dont get it.

You have this site trying to promote how social and caring you are with your customers.  Encourage them to help each other...   

...  it seems it is just a farce...

A few years ago someone wrote a telstra data usage meter widget/app for android and put it in the market.

At the time you didnt have one.

Then you release one that is just a wrapper for your webpage - it was terrible and ugly.

Then you release your new telstra one or what ever its called app.  enourmous and full of ad's & bloatware..  it is still terrible.

Now I go looking for this guys app and its no longer in the store.  I email him, and he informs me that Telstra asked Google to remove it from the market...

What may I ask is your lame excuse for this?

It was using your company name?  - Thats "fair use' as he is not selling it, trying to profit from your name or pass it off as you.

It was using your company logo??  - Thats "fair use' as he is not selling it, trying to profit from your name or pass it off as you.

or was it becuase it had nearly a 5 star rating?  much higher than your app...  here is a tip, try writing a better app instead of just kicking it out of the market..

Or even BUY the rights to the app off the guy so he gets rewarded for his hard work...   or pay him to come and teach your app team how to write a decent app....  god knows they could use some help...

VERY dissapointed Telstra...  People try and help and support your customers, for free and this is how you treat them?

Here I was thinking that you were slightly better than Optus, but no....  just as Lame

That is my opinion of course, love to hear your side of the story and give you a chance to redeem yourself....

-=-=-=-=-
Passionate android user, tech geek and artist / jeweller.
NOT a Telstra Employee - Just a customer (only while they provide a service that meets my expectations and principals)
-=-=-=-=-

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Juzman
Level 17: Bureau Chief

Re: Why did Telstra get a 'usage meter' app kicked out of the app store?

@ArtyMarty wrote:

Then you release your new telstra one or what ever its called app.  enourmous and full of ad's & bloatware..  it is still terrible.

You mean "Telstra 24x7" application? I don't see any ads, it's fast and by far the best usage meter, bill viewer, and everything rolled into one. Maybe you should give it a go. :-)

Wanglese
Level 22: Superhuman

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.steelbytes.android.TelstraUsage

The Copyright infringement was what originally had it removed.

It's still there, but now there is no copyright infringement. 

But you have to pay for it if you want the ads removed.

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

ArtyMarty

@Juzman wrote:
You mean "Telstra 24x7" application? I don't see any ads, it's fast and by far the best usage meter, bill viewer, and everything rolled into one. Maybe you should give it a go. :-)

I gave it a go. It is yet again just a wrapper for your webpage. There is little difference bettween loading your app, or loading the web browser and going to the page.
Your telstra 24x7 app is not a widget.  This is not the iPhone forum, this is the Android forum.  Android has widgets. Do your software programmers know what a widget is?  
A widget displays the data required on the screen without having to launch an app or program.

This is all we need for a net meter widget...   
Data, Days left of cycle. That is it. That is why it is called a meter.

Think of your laptop, with the little battery left indicator - you look at it and you know how much battery you have left. How anoying would it be if every time you wanted to see how much battery you had left on your laptop you had to go to the start menu, go to programs, click on "MyBattery 24x7" wait for it to load, when it comes up full screen, select "View Battery statistics" which takes you to another full screen page that tells you have 44% battery left.
...Because that is how your "Telstra 24x7" works...
It's much easier on your laptop to just look over near the clock and see - ahh  44% left.

Telstra Net Meter  was simple, looks good, takes up two 'squares' of screen reestate, is allways there, allways up to date...  see attached screen shot...   

Getting back to the origional question,  
Why was a perfectly functioning app/widget hit with a removal request by Telstra, when Telstra has nothing that comes close in functionality.  You promote respect and helping the community by encouraging your clients/users to help each other on one hand, and then what appears to me is punch them in the face with the other.
.... And its not the only app you kicked out either...

-=-=-=-=-
NOT a Telstra Employee - Just a customer (only while they provide a service that meets my expectations and principals)
-=-=-=-=-
Juzman

@ArtyMarty wrote:
Your telstra 24x7 app is not a widget.  This is not the iPhone forum, this is the Android forum.  Android has widgets. Do your software programmers know what a widget is? A widget displays the data required on the screen without having to launch an app or program.

I know what a widget does. I know what android has (I have a S2 running Cyanogenmod 10). I have three "minimal text" widgets to display weather, date, and battery.

In your original post you mentioned the following.

@ArtyMarty wrote:
A few years ago someone wrote a telstra data usage meter widget/app for android and put it in the market. Then you release your new telstra one or what ever its called app.  enourmous and full of ad's & bloatware..  it is still terrible.

So I simply offered an application, not a widget as you mentioned. If you want a widget, download TelstraOne and add either the "MyAccount" or "MyAccount Mini" widget to your homescreen, depending on taste. I don't see all the bloatware (unless you open the application, which you said is pointless anyway). Problem solved?

@ArtyMarty wrote:
Telstra Net Meter  was simple, looks good, takes up two 'squares' of screen reestate, is allways there, allways up to date...  see attached screen shot...    

Similar to TelstraOne widget. It displays a graph, with usage / days remaining.

ArtyMarty

@Juzman wrote:
I know what a widget does. I know what android has (I have a S2 running Cyanogenmod 10). I have three "minimal text" widgets to display weather, date, and battery.

If you want a widget, download TelstraOne and add either the "MyAccount" or "MyAccount Mini" widget to your homescreen, depending on taste. Problem solved?

I appreciate you trying to help Juzman, 
the  TelstraOne as I mentioned is bloatware...  Leaving the face that it is full of ad's etc out of it for a moment, lets just look at size...

Scott Vandonkelaar's "Telstra Mobile Net Meter"  = 56k
Telstra's "Telstra One" = 6246K

That is 111 times bigger

and in a reversal of figures, Scott's app is 111 times more aesthetic  :-)

-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-
Juzman

@ArtyMarty wrote:

I appreciate you trying to help Juzman, 
the  TelstraOne as I mentioned is bloatware...  Leaving the face that it is full of ad's etc out of it for a moment, lets just look at size...

Scott Vandonkelaar's "Telstra Mobile Net Meter"  = 56k
Telstra's "Telstra One" = 6246K

That is 111 times bigger

and in a reversal of figures, Scott's app is 111 times more aesthetic  :-)

You're welcome. I can agree that the size is quite larger. I (personally) don't use the widget, but I have a 16GB phone, so 6MB isn't too much. Smiley Tongue

I use the 24x7 app, and quite frankly I hardly check my data usage as I have 1.5GB and usually only use about 1GB. :-)

Kalak
Level 23: Superhero

It appears the developer made use of Telstra trademarks without permission. It was pulled until this was changed.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

ArtyMarty wrote: 

It was using your company name?  - Thats "fair use' as he is not selling it, trying to profit from your name or pass it off as you.

It was using your company logo??  - Thats "fair use' as he is not selling it, trying to profit from your name or pass it off as you. 

If he was using both a Brand Name and a Trademark Logo, then he was seeking to use the Telstra brand to further his own product. Furthermore, there could be a reasonable assumption that the app was created by Telstra or on behalf of Telstra, which again is incorrect.

If we refer to the Trade Marks Act 1995 (Cth):

2)  A person infringes a registered trade mark if the person uses as a trade mark a sign that is substantially identical with, or deceptively similar to, the trade mark in relation to:

(a)  goods of the same description as that of goods ( registered goods ) in respect of which the trade mark is registered; or

(b)  services that are closely related to registered goods; or

(c)  services of the same description as that of services ( registered services ) in respect of which the trade mark is registered; or

(d)  goods that are closely related to registered services.

However, the person is not taken to have infringed the trade mark if the person establishes that using the sign as the person did is not likely to deceive or cause confusion.

When I look at what the TELSTRA Trademark is registered to, I think its perfectly fair and reasonable to assume that, if the app used the Trademarks of the Telstra Corporation in this way, that it would be considered infringement.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

ArtyMarty

Ok Ben_F,

so it's a trademark issue.

He was not pretending to be Telstra, and was not getting any financial gain through it's use, and not saying anything bad about Telstra so it's fair use.

Only thing that might be confusing is the fact that thge app is called "Telstra Mobile Net Meter" which could be said that people might think that its saying it's provided by Telstra.
If the app was called "Net Meter for Telstra Mobiles" then he would be safe on that count 

I guess he needed to put the disclaimer "This app and its developer is not affiliated with Telstra. 'Telstra' and the Telstra logo are property of their owner and used here to indicate the network this app functions on"

That way he would be safe, and not breakinmg any laws...

It is just the same as a TV guide app may use the logo of a TV network above the list of programs for that network. The description of that app may say for example This app will show what programs are available on SBS  The app is showing what is  available on that network, and not pretending to be that network.

Another example is a news outlet or blog might write some informatoin about Telstra and use the word Telstra in the article or speak it live on air along with the Telstra logo for the picture for that story...

It's all resonable use, and not infringement.

So as in the SBS example above:

A data usage app may use the logo of the datanetwork above the readout of data for that network. The description of that app may say for example This app will show what data you have used on the Telstra network.  The app is showing statistics available on that network, and not pretending to be that network.

I wonder if Telstra contacted him and thanked him for writing such a good app and then asked him if he could possibly change the workding in the description or name slightly to avoid confusion, or just hit him over the head with a shovel (metaphoricaly speaking) and set the dogs/lawers (again, metaphoricaly speaking) onto him via an automated takedown on google's market.

Please Note:  I am not pretending to be Telstra or SBS or Ben_F by typing thoise words above in this post, and the words 'Telstra' and 'SBS' and 'Ben_F' are owned by well, their owners I guess...

I will also assume that the word ArtyMarty you have contained in your post was not an intentional breach of my trademark by you or Telstra (who auto inserted it in your post)  So I won't be asking that this site is shutdown and blocked from the internet due to a Trademark violation.  After all, it was also an excelent example by you of fair and resonable use, with no intent to profit/recieve gain or discredit the owner.

Smiley Tongue

Marty

-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-
Wanglese

Have you trademarked "ArtyMarty"?  If you have taken out legal steps to dop so, then anyone using it to further themselves would need permission, IRRC.

Anyway, the point is moot.  You can use the one I pointed you to, or you can ask Telstra to provide a free widget instead of the current app (which wouldn't be a bad idea IMHO).

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@ArtyMarty wrote:

Ok Ben_F,

so it's a trademark issue.

He was not pretending to be Telstra, and was not getting any financial gain through it's use, and not saying anything bad about Telstra so it's fair use.

Only thing that might be confusing is the fact that thge app is called "Telstra Mobile Net Meter" which could be said that people might think that its saying it's provided by Telstra.

The act is pretty clear. If you use a Trademark to supply the same product or service that the trademark is registered to, then its a breach of the Trademark. Profit has nothing to do with it.

@ArtyMarty wrote:

If the app was called "Net Meter for Telstra Mobiles" then he would be safe on that count 

I guess he needed to put the disclaimer "This app and its developer is not affiliated with Telstra. 'Telstra' and the Telstra logo are property of their owner and used here to indicate the network this app functions on"

That way he would be safe, and not breakinmg any laws... 

That may be safe..... I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know, but the fact the App is back with the changes makes it seem that Telstra were happy with what the app did, just not with the Trademark Infringement.

@ArtyMarty wrote:

I wonder if Telstra contacted him and thanked him for writing such a good app and then asked him if he could possibly change the workding in the description or name slightly to avoid confusion, or just hit him over the head with a shovel (metaphoricaly speaking) and set the dogs/lawers (again, metaphoricaly speaking) onto him via an automated takedown on google's market. 

I'm guessing its the 2nd option, and to be fair the department responsible for that probably doesn't give a rats if the app was the best on the market, they were only concerned with the Infringement. Unfortunatley there is this feeling that you need to set the dogs on people to get them to comply..... But hey, thats what Lawyers are for Smiley Happy

ArtyMarty wrote: 

Please Note:  I am not pretending to be Telstra or SBS or Ben_F by typing thoise words above in this post, and the words 'Telstra' and 'SBS' and 'Ben_F' are owned by well, their owners I guess...

I will also assume that the word ArtyMarty you have contained in your post was not an intentional breach of my trademark by you or Telstra (who auto inserted it in your post)  So I won't be asking that this site is shutdown and blocked from the internet due to a Trademark violation.  After all, it was also an excelent example by you of fair and resonable use, with no intent to profit/recieve gain or discredit the owner.

Smiley Tongue

Its a shame that the only Trademarks are Telstra and SBS. I don't have a Trademark over Ben_F (Although maybe I should) and I'm sure there is no trademark over ArtyMarty Smiley Tongue

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Drat

ArtyMarty wrote:

Telstra.  I dont get it.

You have this site trying to promote how social and caring you are with your customers.  Encourage them to help each other...   

...  it seems it is just a farce...

The preamble to your, um, expression of grievance shall we say, makes little sense.

Just review some of the many threads which the thread originators have marked as Solved. Are you saying few, if any, of them were actually helped by other members of the CrowdSupport community, even though Telstra establisehd and maintains the site as a vehicle for such?

The site does not promise to deliver everyone the help they ‘need’ or want (especially when they demand ‘help’ rendered in a specific and/or non-negotiable manner).

Then you release one that is just a wrapper for your webpage - it was terrible and ugly.

Now I go looking for this guys app and its no longer in the store.  I email him, and he informs me that Telstra asked Google to remove it from the market...

What may I ask is your lame excuse for this?

For a lawful reason, actually, as has already been explained to you. You're welcome to subjectively view it as lame, but that does not make it public or majority opinion.

As far as I'm concerned, Telstra is making a serious endeavour to give its customers information that they want, with regard to the services in their names, in developing the TelstraOne and Telstra 24x7 apps and redeveloping the My Account site.. The information is there, available upon request by the customer by going into the app, or logging into My Account in the browser. Your argument about the how – either in terms of information push-versus-pull, or the manner of presentation on a particular device, or even the aesthetics – does not take away from the value of the what that is provided.

That is my opinion of course, love to hear your side of the story and give you a chance to redeem yourself.... 

You aren't exactly a higher authority to which others need to redeem themselves to survive and thrive in the shared environment, in which the influence of individuals the likes of you and me is minimal. Robot LOL

… By the way, I would like to helpfully point out that you most likely want to use the word “principles”, instead of “principals”, in your signature block. While such mistakes do not take away from the ideas you want to express, using the correct words helps put your ideas across to the audience more effectively.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
ArtyMarty

…and with that previous message, we have now reached the bottom level of many-an-internet thread where the topic and spirit of the message is forgotten, the “Literal police” and “Spelling Nazis” come out and pick apart / break down a post paragraph by paragraph, sentence by sentence to find every conceivable error.   
The internet equivalent of yelling out during an intelligent debate, “I am sorry Sir, as you mispronounced a word in your third sentence, you clearly don’t know what you are talking about.”

It is a common theme on here, propagated by people with signatures that proudly display that they “Work for Telstra, but are not paid to troll comment here, they do it because they like it”

Imagine: 

A Telstra  customer comes into a physical store with a bee in their bonnet about something that has upset them.  A couple of the staff members try and sort it out so every one is happy.  

Mostly that all ends well.   

…Then there are the days when the tech displaying signs of Asperger’s who lives out the back, decides to try and defend the honour of his beloved employer  -  irrespective of the situation –  a burning desire to NOT solve the issue, but just to be ‘right’…   
(He isn’t paid to do this, but just likes to do it.  And sometime he wears his badge that says so!).. 
He will come out and make comments about the customers sentence structure, the way they are dressed, take the whole matter out of context …. 

Sigh…

So I will leave this topic at that….  

Now will that hypothetical overzealous employee feel the need to run out the door of the store and compulsively yell one last discrediting comment as the customer walks away?

-=-=-=-=-
-=-=-=-=-
Drat

ArtyMarty wrote:

Imagine: 

A Telstra  customer comes into a physical store with a bee in their bonnet about something that has upset them.  A couple of the staff members try and sort it out so every one is happy.  

Mostly that all ends well.

CrowdSupport is not a Telstra online shop front or a customer service channel. Based on your previous posts in this thread as well as others, the issue is that you seem to think you ought be treated by others in the community as if you were either their patron or their champion. I see you as a fellow Telstra customer who are in no stronger a position than any other to demand that your views be held as a shared frame of reference for what is proper.

Imagine:

A customer walks into the café in the lobby of a Telstra building, launches into a rant about Telstra at the other people there – some of whom are Telstra customers, some are Telstra staff, and some are neither – and demands to be appeased by either an action or official statement from the telco.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Juzman

@ArtyMarty wrote:

Now will that hypothetical overzealous employee feel the need to run out the door of the store and compulsively yell one last discrediting comment as the customer walks away?

I just had a look at the TelstraOne app that comes with the Galaxy SIII and it looks a lot nicer than the one available in the Play Store. My friend's SIII isn't rooted so I can't get the APK off of him. :-(

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit