Highlighted
Level 3: Gumshoe

Why so long to unlock a phone??

I tried to have a phone unlocked 3 weeks ago, via phone, online and instore.  The phone system diverted me around in circles a few times, then hung up.  Online told me to call or use the app, and instore was told the system was down.  I am unable to use the app, as the phone i want to unlock currently doesn't have access to the internet to download anything.

So, I tried calling again on Sunday and after about 30 minutes was told the system was down and that they have emailed my request to the unlock team.  Apparently I will receive a code via text message and/or email.

Realistically, how long does this take?  This is not overly responsive for a or a technical communications company.  I would have expected seconds to send an unlock code.  

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Why so long to unlock a phone??

It can take 72 hours to unlock a Prepaid phone, but there have been some issues over the past few months.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Hi kegraider am pretty much sane predicament as you but am overseas with the same drama some joke all I can say 

Highlighted

72 work hours (8 hour workday), or actual hours?

At this rate, I'm kind of expecting the 8 hour workday,  so effectively 2 weeks.

If I wasn't so paranoid about the gazillion scammers around, I would have just entered my credit card into one of those $50 websites that generate unlock codes.  Perhaps big T should outsource?

Highlighted

It should be 72 hours as in 3 days.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Since it's now day 8, I would definitely say otherwise.  I would hate to be overseas waiting on such a service.  Good thing this is only for my son's phone.

Highlighted

Hi Kegraider, we've been waiting since the 7th May to unlock my husband's phone on my account. He just keeps going around in circles with them. Absolutely appalling service. 

Highlighted

Wow Jodes61!  I guess now I have a timeframe, even though 2 months is quite a lot longer than I was expecting.  2 hours is longer than I was expecting for an unlock code, which from my understanding is just a mathematical algorithm generated from the IMEI number.  Does anyone know the equation so one might just solve the problem themselves?

Highlighted

Hi Kegraider,

The problem has been solved. We finally got onto someone that rang us from the complaints department. We was agreed that we would take the mobile into took a Telstra centre and that they were to replace it with an unlocked phone, same value. What they didn't realise is that Telstra centres only sell locked phones. We then had to go and buy the phone from JB hifi and take it back to telstra to make sure it was working with the new provider. The money we spent is now going to be credited to my account which is also Telstra. So glad it's over. Good luck with your problem.

Highlighted

I think I'm just going to have to go and buy another phone for him and make sure it's not from Telstra (or anyone in particular!).  This is just plain stupid the amount of time it takes.  If I took this long to do my job, I'd be fired in an instant.  I don't mind paying for the service, as long as I get some service!  It's a pity, that this phone will end up being landfill because of some incompetence as a phone supplier.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit