MSVICKI
Level 2: Rookie

Wifi Connection

Answered

Hi Everyone

I'm very much not tech savvy at all.

I have NBN and we run all our laptops and phones via wifi at home.

We have 1 TV connected to this also.

I am trying to connect a PS4 and a Kogan TV that used to be connected by Wifi but for some reason stopped.

When I search for device to connect to it brings up why I assume are all the neighbors wifi addresses but not mine?

I have tried to input details manually also and still can't connect?

Any ideas on what to do would be appreciated and especially if you can dumb it down as much as possible Smiley LOL

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SteveW_52
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Wifi Connection

OK..  so your modem is faulty. The 2.4G Wi-Fi has failed and there is nothing you can do to fix it. You need to contact Telstra, explain that and get a replacement sent to you.

I would hazard a guess that you have a Technicolor DJA0231 modem? There is a bit of a history of these failing with the loss of 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi. If you still have access to the Telstra person you have been dealing with, contact them , better yet if you have any previous references to your issue, use those.

If you need to, contact Telstra through the My Telstra app, Get Help and the blue chat icon to start the process..

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
Not with Telstra, just another customer like you!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
SteveW_52

Can I ask how you posted this message? and do you have a cable that you can connect a laptop to the modem with?

Stevo 52
Too many devices, probably an addict :-) also a tinkerer and developer of stuff..
SteveW_52

Did this occur after connecting a device? or just happened overnight?

This is might be due to the modem Wi-Fi failing.. This requires you to access the modem GUI from a PC/laptop using a browser and using the address 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and enter. Then log in using the default username of 'admin' with the password of 'Telstra'  (this info is on a label on the bottom of the modem.

There are two types of modem - one is Technicolor, the other Arcadyan and the process to access the Wi-Fi settings is slightly different for each and you haven't advised what make/model of modem you have..

The first setting to look for on the Advanced/Wi-Fi page is:

Band Steering - turn this setting 'Off'. The result will be two Wi-Fi services - one at 2.4 GHz and the other in the 5 GHz band. The services can be identified by the name. The 5 GHz band has -5G added to the name. The passwords are the same. Save the changes you make before changing pages or exiting the GUI. So if you try to connect a device by Wi-Fi, you should now see two networks names that are similar but one ending with -5G. If you can only see the one with -5G, then your 2.$ GHz Wi-Fi has failed, preventing you from connecting some devices.

Then, in the same area look for Protected Mode Frames (PMF). This setting is present in later firmware versions and is present for each Wi-Fi service. If band steering doesn't resolve your connection issue, try turning this setting off for the 2.4 GHz service at least (and save the settings) and then the 5 GHz service (and save the setting). Not all devices play nicely with PMF. 

See if you can connect any devices now, or if all the devices now connect OK as they did previously.

You can also try going to https://fix.telstra.com/ (also in a browser), and follow the steps...

The above troubleshooting will allow you to report a faulty modem and get it replaced.

Stevo 52
MSVICKI

Hi Thanks for your reply

My laptop and phone etc all still connect to wifi 

It is just the TV and PS4

I spent ages on phone to Telstra yesterday and they said it's not my wifi but must be TV etc?  

I did manage to get the TV and PS4 to find the wifi this morning BUT they connect and do nothing... basically says connection failed.

I tried what you said about bandsteering and turned that off, I then saw 5g and normal.  5g connected but normal said no internet connection?

Maybe I need a wifi booster?  although other things are further away from modem and connect fine?

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

Did the TV and PS4 connect to the  2.4Ghz signal?.

You mentioned “normal said no internet connection?”.  That could be why the TV and PS4 are unresponsive.

MSVICKI

Hi

They see the internet connection and say connected but if you try do anything nothing happens.

When I say normal I mean the one without 5g at end.  On my phone I had that and it said no internet connection but the 5g was ok

SteveW_52

"I did manage to get the TV and PS4 to find the wifi this morning BUT they connect and do nothing... basically says connection failed"..  the 'connection failed' message indicates that they didn't connect. Are you using the correct password?

At this stage, if you are able to connect on 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz, I don't think it is a wi-fi coverage issue so a booster is unlikely to improve things, because it just 'extends' the existing wifi network but that network is still managed managed by the modem which provides connection to the internet.

When you are connected to the 2.4 GHz ('normal') network, can you check the properties of the network on the device and see if you have an IpV4 address - 192.168.0.XXX for example..?

It is odd that you can connect other devices to the 2.4 GHz network, but not the TV and PS4. You might need to go through the network setup for those devices again, now that you have disabled band steering.

Stevo 52
Dowser

It sounds like the 2.4Ghz signal is the one having issues.

Did you try the Protected Mode Frames (PMF)) settings changes mentioned by @SteveW_52 

SteveW_52

I agree @Dowser ..  but why, if the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi can be seen, but not connected too (the 'failed to connect' message is a clue), there is something wrong with the credentials maybe? Password perhaps..

My next suggestion would be a power cycle of the modem (hoping all changed setting have been saved).. to see if that helps..

I am a bit puzzled that some devices are connecting OK, especially as band steering has been disabled, so the users are seeing two seperate networks - so previously connected devices on 5 GHz would need to be reconnected to the right band to work?

Stevo 52
SteveW_52

Have you tried a power cycle of the modem? i.e. turn the power to the modem off (or remove the plug) wait for a couple of minutes then reconnect it/power it on and wait for it to get to a stable green indication on the front, then try the 2.4 GHZ connection again (double check that password) and see if there is an internet connection..

When you changed the modem setting before, did you save those settings after changing them?

Stevo 52
MSVICKI

Sorry for any confusion.

Yesterday I was online with Telstra and did the following

1. reset modem

2. reset TV

3. Changed modem name and password

none of this helped at the time and the guy from Telstra ended up telling me it must be a problem with my TV etc as not a problem with my wifi.

Today

I have gone in and unticked band steering box

changed wifi PMF to off and saved changes

Turned off modem and waited 10 sec then turned back on

My phone and laptop both show

Mcmaddysmum 5g

They do not show Mcmaddysmum without the 5g beside it now

and the TV does not show my wifi at all  - only neighbours wifi

The TV

The laptop

SteveW_52
Accepted Solution

OK..  so your modem is faulty. The 2.4G Wi-Fi has failed and there is nothing you can do to fix it. You need to contact Telstra, explain that and get a replacement sent to you.

I would hazard a guess that you have a Technicolor DJA0231 modem? There is a bit of a history of these failing with the loss of 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi. If you still have access to the Telstra person you have been dealing with, contact them , better yet if you have any previous references to your issue, use those.

If you need to, contact Telstra through the My Telstra app, Get Help and the blue chat icon to start the process..

Stevo 52

View solution in original post

MSVICKI

Thank you so much Smiley Very Happy

It is a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

I will message them now

SteveW_52

There are 2 models of Smart Modem 2, see the label on the bottom to identify which one you have..

Stevo 52
Dowser

@MSVICKI wrote:

They see the internet connection and say connected but if you try do anything nothing happens.

When I say normal I mean the one without 5g at end.  On my phone I had that and it said no internet connection but the 5g was ok

There is another possibility - 2.4GHz WiFi channel congestion.

As a test, perform the following 3 steps:

(1) leave Band Steering turned OFF, to enable the 2.4GHz WiFi signal.

(2)  turn PMF back ON - because when it's OFF it makes the TV "not show my wifi at all  - only neighbour's wifi".

(3) in the settings change the WiFi channel from 'Auto' to channels 1, 6, or 11 (try each).

It might be an idea to reboot the modem after selecting each of those 3 channels.

Also, with your modem name and password changes, please be sure that these are correct.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

With congestion it should still show the SSID of the network. As it's not showing up, then it sounds like a failed 2.4GHz radio in the modem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Dowser

You could be correct @Jupiter

The 2.4GHz network was visible after Band Steering was turned off, and the tv and laptop connected, but were not functional.

The same network was not visible when PMF was turned off.

I thought that my suggested test was worth a try.

David170
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hey this probably wont help but I was reading a smart tv manual for Linsar tv I think and was not really reading for this purpose when I saw some reference to only one smart TV being able to run on either cable or WIFI. I am not even sure if it was for my tv or if it was modem pdf instructions though I am unable to elaborate further until I have time to go back to my downloaded docs then search for that little comment which I assumed was out of date or for overseas version of  Linsar  TV similar to my one. If i fid it I will try to post it but don't take it to seriously. just a thing I read about TV connections to internet probably Linsar and not even my model. it upset me enough to remember that bit so it may be worth trying disconnecting one while connecting the other even if just to show my lack of understanding.as I have one smart and another huge tv with a box to make it smarter but it thinks its a Tablet or something like that. I Cant use nor install a browser on my smart tv only media search type. So I cant be to bright. I will try to find the reference in 48 hours if I can and add it here. Maybe have a good look at your modem info Gateway via Explorer then select Network down bottom and double click on ARC=VDSLAID and sign in should be admin password  select advanced and check all or its connections and see if its just not allowing both IP types even reset or restart is a chance like reset Turn off then on wait till green lights or ust select advanced Then diagnostics ping test or connections Network. if you don't do anything to drastic good or can reset from in there including Wi-Fi password changes and plenty to look at and I'm sure you will know more than me either way

David 170
MSVICKI

Thanks everyone

I got my new replacement modem and set it up this morning and now have access on Tv and everything else again - so am very happy

Thanks for all your suggestions and for helping me out Smiley LOL

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit