Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Is Telstra blocking access to 10.0.0.1 ports on the new iPhone 4S?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

Re: 10.0.0.1

that's generally a private address or a gateway address on a router etc, what are you trying to do exactly that you feel is blocked?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Highlighted

I have a scripted database that I use for my business. It was written for my specific use. I operate it on my iMac through Terminal and SQL. I use 10.0.0.1 to connect. This is OK using my ADSL modem. I am now about to use my iPhone as my modem. I can access internet browsing on my iMac without problems using my iPhone on tethering or personal hotspot. However i cannot connect to my database through SAFARI or FIREFOX through the iPhone. I am wondering if Telstra are blocking my access to 10.0.0.1?

Highlighted

on 3G you are effectively in a WAN environment and don't have a real public IP, I would guess this is part of your problem
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Highlighted

Thanks for your help. I will check with Telstra.

Highlighted
Level 17: Bureau Chief

@noosa8 wrote:

I have a scripted database that I use for my business. It was written for my specific use. I operate it on my iMac through Terminal and SQL. I use 10.0.0.1 to connect. This is OK using my ADSL modem. I am now about to use my iPhone as my modem. I can access internet browsing on my iMac without problems using my iPhone on tethering or personal hotspot. However i cannot connect to my database through SAFARI or FIREFOX through the iPhone. I am wondering if Telstra are blocking my access to 10.0.0.1?

OK, let's get this layout straight...

I'm presuming that the database lives on the iMac (you say you operate it on your iMac - I presume that means that is where it runs, as opposed to you using the iMac to connect to it [presumably "it" in that case would be on some other machine you have not mentioned]. So I'll presume the db is on the iMac).

You have an ADSL broadband modem/router to which your iMac is connected. And that router is providing the iMac with the IP address 10.0.0.1 within your in-home private network. That address is ONLY visible to devices connected to that ADSL modem (or some other router you have sitting in front of it).

Now, I can't get to your 10.0.0.1 machine from my house (good!) and I can't get to it from my iPhone either (also good). And neither can you from your iPhone! There's nothing special about your iPhone. It's on the mobile data network like every other one. It's not connected to that ADSL router so it doesn't have an address in the home.

If you are using the iPhone as your network connection for the iMac then the iMac won't even have the 10.0.0.1 address if it's not connected to that router.

HOWEVER - if the db runs on the iMac AND you want to access it from the iMac, then try using 127.0.0.1 instead. That's the local loopback address and represents "this machine" in IP address terms. If you're on the iMac and trying to connect to the iMac (itself), then 127.0.0.1 will always work, even without an internet connection.

If the DB is NOT in your house, then I have no clue how 10.0.0.1 is working for you. UNLESS the person who set this up put in a manual port route in your router and 10.0.0.1 is actually your router itself and the port you're using on 10.0.0.1 is mapped in the router to some external address. In which case, use that address instead of 10.0.0.1.

There should be a solution to your problem but, unless one of my guesses above concerning the exact topology is correct, you'll need to give us some more detail about the setup.

I'm guessing you'll run into some tough conversations if you try discuss this with Telstra reps on the phone. It does not appear to be an issue with your connection or anything. It's an issue with the network / arrangements you've constructed within your home on your side of the router. Nobody in Telstra (presumably) knows what that looks like. But, give us as much detail as you can and hopefully we can help if the above isn't enough.

--
Kevin
[ I am a Telstra Employee however my posts here are done in a personal capacity.]
Highlighted

as above, more detail would certainly be helpful
Highlighted

@KrayzeeKev wrote:

@noosa8 wrote:

I have a scripted database that I use for my business. It was written for my specific use. I operate it on my iMac through Terminal and SQL. I use 10.0.0.1 to connect. This is OK using my ADSL modem. I am now about to use my iPhone as my modem. I can access internet browsing on my iMac without problems using my iPhone on tethering or personal hotspot. However i cannot connect to my database through SAFARI or FIREFOX through the iPhone. I am wondering if Telstra are blocking my access to 10.0.0.1?

my iphone 5 have same problem.

Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Telstra is not blocking 10.0.0.1; the problem is that IP address is local to your private network. When you use your mobile phone, you are using the public Internet.

Connect your phone to your private WiFi network; then it will open 10.0.0.1 fine.

I will find a way or make one.
International IT consultant and author.

If I have helped you, please consider giving a kudos to my posting Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

OK. To keep it simple and to the root cause of the problem.

If you are creating a database to use on a computer and the interface is on the same computer, set it up so that it uses http://127.0.0.1 or http://localhost/ as the reference location for the database. That way, when you switch from your home internet connection to using your mobile or wifi hotspot, the interface will still know that it should be looking at the local machine.

If you set it up with the IP address of your machine as it appears on your home network, it will fail when connected to some other form of internet access as the IP address of your machine will be different.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

thanks i solved my problem Woman Very Happy

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit