Level 2: Rookie

Apple watch esim

Answered

Apple has announced that with family sharing you can now setup a watch for a family member by using an adults phone. This is great as there is more control and it removes the need for another phone plan. 

Based on this how do I get a standalone esim (with it's own number) for an apple watch, and what are the costs for this? Does Telstra have a standalone esim plan? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Apple watch esim

It hasn't been announced on any of the usual Telstra news sites.

Also, Apple has removed reference to Family Setup from their Australian marketing for the Apple Watch.

Their compatible carriers list doesn't mention Telstra as having Family Setup either.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
40 REPLIES 40

At the moment, Telstra OneNumber (which is required for Smartwatch devices) does not have that capability.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Thanks for the response. 

Telstra really needs to look at a family plan with the capability for standalone esims. At the moment there is no solution, this IMO will cause a family to fragment across multiple telco's (I'm going to have to do this).   

Level 1: Cadet

Do you know of any Australian telcos that support family setup? I don’t think there are any here, in other countries yes.

No. There aren't any that currently support it.

Level 3: Gumshoe

Did you get an answer for this, as just bought my son a Iwatch with Cel, but doesnt have a phone.

any telcos in aus that support

No. No carriers in Australia support it as of yet.

Thanks for letting me know, thats annoying, one of the main reasons I bought my son the iwatch with celullar was for the family setup.. as dont want to give him a phone, but have it for emergency calls etc.. hopefully come in soon

Totally agree, I just bought an SE cellular based on the new family sharing capabilities for my daughter only to try a d pair it last night and get this error. 

can’t they allow the plan to be linked and at least share the data! 
that way we can at least still track and use location setting while they are out.

basically the whole reason and features I bought the watch for in the beginning are not able to be used now 🤦🏻‍♂️

As the “leading” telco in Australia, telstra need to sort this out for families  

Also.... just found this: https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT211768

Step 7: is where we want Telstra support!

Wouldn't it be great for Telstra to be the first carrier in Australia to support this:

https://www.apple.com/au/watch/cellular/#table-se

Just goes to show that your should not base your purchase just on what a manufacturer says their device can do. You should always check to see if it actually works in the country you are in and the provider you use before purchasing.

Also goes to show that all Australian Telcos are lagging behind and their product teams are not early adopters of new tech. Seriuosly, this would be a game changer for parents who have so few options outside of buying their kids phones. I'm told that Matt Williams said this would be coming to Optus in the New Year.  

If thats the case I will be moving all my services. I dont want to give my 10 yr old son a phone, but family setup on iwatch is a game changer.. keep up Telstra..

We did exactly this too for our 11 year old daughter! Glad to know it's not just me. I have spent 2 weeks with both Optus and Telstra telling me its Apples problem when clearly its not.

Let’s hope they get a solution soon

Another parent here that requests Telstra support esim for Apple Watch independent of one number/plans. 

@alexhoughton24 wrote:

Let’s hope they get a solution soon

Any date yet for Apple Watch family sharing support from Telstra? It’s almost Christmas, parents will be buying watches for kids and we would like to use Family sharing. What is the delay here in Australia?

So frustrating. The Apple SE is heavily

marketed to the Family sharing and so disappointed it can’t be used in Australia. My kids have saved up all of their money to buy these watches with this promise. I will be moving to the first Telco to offer it. 

Family Sharing and Family Setup are different things. Family sharing is where you can use media purchases made on your Apple account across multiple devices. Family Setup is where you can have multiple Apple watches connected to an account without a corresponding iPhone service for each.

No carrier in Australia has made an announcement on the availability of Apple Family Setup. The ACCC should make Apple remove their advertising around Apple Family Setup until it is available in Australia. Until that happens, the service falls into the false advertising space.

I agree completely. I’m sure many have bought these watches with the plan of using Family Setup and then are disappointed that it isn’t available. 

I’ve now called Apple, visited an Apple Store and messaged with Telstra. Both Telstra and Apple Store said it was available now. Apple support on the phone said it wasn’t. Sounds like no one knows what they are talking about. 

Apple advised me that it became available today, Friday 4th December via Telstra.
Anyone know if that is true?

Accepted Solution

It hasn't been announced on any of the usual Telstra news sites.

Also, Apple has removed reference to Family Setup from their Australian marketing for the Apple Watch.

Their compatible carriers list doesn't mention Telstra as having Family Setup either.

View solution in original post

I thought I would share this as I just bought an Apple Watch for my son and neither Apple assistant or Telstra said anything was becoming available (Telstra wanted me to sign up for $55/month BYO plan!!!) It took lots of research to discover this was going to be available via Truphone on the 8th Dec. 

I went to Apple store today. Apparently this morning Apple confirmed the Family Setup for the watches will be available on 8 December. 

Level 4: Private Eye

Truphone are releasing plans for $10 per month as of tomorrow to facilitate this. I guess Telstra is going to be late to the party AGAIN.

Apple Watch Family Setup Australia 

Mind you, maybe Telstra decides to pull finger and release the feature at the same time...

I’ve taught my kids to pull faces in photos, try and fix that, Machine Learning...

@Hikurangi_f wrote:

Truphone are releasing plans for $10 per month as of tomorrow to facilitate this. I guess Telstra is going to be late to the party AGAIN.

Apple Watch Family Setup Australia 

Mind you, maybe Telstra decides to pull finger and release the feature at the same time...

https://www.apple.com/au/newsroom/2020/12/family-setup-on-apple-watch-is-coming-to-australia/

Truphone came to the table and works well and at $10 a month unlimited data / calls / texts can’t go wrong 

my son is very happy 

Doesn’t work as have tried in two different iPhone with Telstra to truphone and won’t work as said can’t be added 

How did you get it to work as mine say can’t be added 

Was really simple my iwatch is with Telstra, as its linked to my work iphone, but my sons new iwatch 4 with cel.

all you do is goto the truphone site, enter the EID number, which you can find from info on the iphone / iwatch. sign up to 1 month or 12 mths etc, and gives you 7 days free. you get a new email with your new mobile number. and that was it really simple

I’m having exactly the same problem - go to Truphone and when I enter the EID it says it’s not available for that service and Apple watch family sharing set up simply notes that “this service isn’t available with Telstra”. Super frustrating - been online with help all day but no clear answer 

Just got off chat with Apple and they said my error is because the watch and phone have to be on the same carrier? How did you get Truphone to work? 

That’s strange as both myself I am with Telstra and have added with no issues , also my friend has done the same with Optus and added truphone on his sons iwatch 

Super weird - did you already have the watch paired or did you get the Truphone plan first? I get this set up screen - then mobile set up is “locked” 

Level 7: Deputy Inspector

Telstra  used to have the ability for shared data plans. The got rid of it the other two majors (O &V) still do. telstra is becoming less and less competitive, day by day.

Old IT/Comms curmudgeon - did tech support for Alcatel System 12 Exchanges in my day - designed a bunch of stuff for Optus.

My sons iwatch had the same message:

just went to  https://services.truphone.com/auth/realms/my-truphone/protocol/openid-connect/auth?client_id=my-trup...

then entered the EID code from the new iwatch, and that was it. have just done it on my other sons watch today again with no issues

Thanks. Truphone set up on my sons watch in less than 5 minutes! 👍

Yes , truphone worked a treat. Just wished I’d looked in this thread before wasting over 8 hours w Telstra and Apple. 

interestingly, when I spoke w truphone , they said they have been partnering w Apple for years, presumably on development work, such as this family sharing initiative. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit