sirroachie
Level 3: Gumshoe

Apple Watch Series 4 - MHRO/HRO/ARO?

Thanks to Telstra, for the first time in a decade i've missed getting an iPhone on release day because of the crazy lack of info regarding Apple Watch.

Firstly, here's Optus setting the standard - I can clearly see the cost for number sharing, as well as the cost for the Apple Watch (it's actually $7 cheaper than RRP compared to Telstra adding an extra $41 to the RRP) - it's all there in black and white.

What's more, With Optus, this information was available when the iPhone pre-order went live - suffice to say, when it came to Apple Watch, Optus' customers were informed, knew the deal, were able to competently and quickly pre-order Apple Watches and it's totally seamless.

By comparison, Telstra had no information other than it would be "available in-stores" come launch day for iPhones. Already frustrating - how much will it be? Can I put it on a plan? Where will there be stock? Just consumers or biz customers too? Here's Optus putting it all out there while Telstra have nothing.

Suffice to say, when today rolled around, the only information regarding price and availability that was released was this page regarding Apple Watches. No way to add it to an order and/or bundle it, no information on paying it off over the life of the contract, just an inflated RRP and nothing else - not even an idea of delivery times or stock. Cool.

So I contact the local business centre and was told that I can put one on an ARO, but that means I can only put $360 of it on an ARO and that i'd have to pay the remaining amount upfront. Odd, but okay.

Then I speak to livechat because of how odd this sounded. Turns out, apparently I can put the whole RRP of an Apple Watch on an ARO plan at $35 per month over 24 months, and upon getting live-chat to call a store to confirm, I was told that it's actually a HRO (because it has a serial number) and that I could get one whenever I wanted and not with an iPhone.

This conflicting information made me call a third store, this time another business store. Turns out, he had just gotten information about a new MHRO (Mobile Hardware Repayment Option) released yesterday but it was only for consumers and I couldn't do a HRO or an ARO.

Telstra, i'm a Legacy Business Customer & all I want is to be able get an Apple Watch & and an iPhone on time and pay them both off over 24 months - why do you have to make it so damn hard?

Here's what i'd love to know:

• Where is the information about MHRO (monthly hardware repayment options)?
  • Does Telstra have ANY launch day stock anywhere of the Apple Watch Series 4?
  • How long will it roughly take to get an Apple Watch if I order one?
  • As a business customer with a 10-digit account number, what are my options to paying off an Apple Watch over 24 months via an ARO/HRO/MHRO? Where is the information on my choices?
  • If it's not as simple as dividing the total cost of an Apple Watch by 24 months, why is that and what are my options? e.g. If it's only available to Sebel customers, how can I migrate my account in a timely manner to have access to whatever systems you need to have access to?
  • If there is no way to ARO/MHRO/ARO - why is Telstra charging above retail for the Apple Watch?

The fact that it gets to this point where I need to write openly like this to get some sort of attention or feedback is profoundly frustrating and in my mind shows that Telstra has completely fudged the Apple Watch launch.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
sirroachie

Re: Apple Watch Series 4 - MHRO/HRO/ARO?

Good news everyone! I got nowhere with Telstra. This is classic Telstra Live-Chat customer service apparently.

Ben: Ahhh Mellet
Ben: could you read that please? thanks
Ben: it'd be great if someone could answer those questions at the end
Mellet:

Hi again Ben.

Mellet:

Welcome to Telstra Business Sales Live-Chat!

Mellet: Ben, mind to ask if you ring the phone number I have  provided earlier?
Ben: please do read the article first, it addresses that 🙂
Mellet:

Sure, let me open the link.

Mellet: I have read the link Ben.
Ben: i'd love to have answers to those questions at the bottom
Mellet: For to make sure that we will be on the same page, can your provide your questions about it?
Ben: they're literally bullet pointed questions
Mellet: Okay Ben.
Ben: an answer on the bullet pointed questions in the context of what i've written above the bullet pointed questions would be great
Mellet:

No worries, please stay on the line while getting those answer. Again, setting expectation Apple watch information can be done to get in any store.

Ben: clearly after contacting two different stores as per what i've outlined i've proven that what you said just then is actually not the case at all 🙂
Ben: I actually tried contacting Telstra Chermside, but they didn't pick up.
Mellet:

Ben I am trying to help as honestly this is outside of my scope.

Ben: TBC Brisbane City picked up immediately and TBC Virginia took two attempts before my phone call was answered
Ben: this is apparently out of scope of everyone at Telstra, so it would be great if someone, anyone actually bothered to help a customer out and supply them with accurate information so that ultimately someone like myself can give Telstra more money!
Ben: As I elaborated on that crowd-support page, I continue to be given conflicting information, and from what i've read online i'm not alone in wanting clarity - as such whatever results I get here I will be sharing with the store and online as an update to that crowd support article
Ben: In which case, my suggestion would be, turn a frustrated and disgruntled customer back into a loyal customer by going above and beyond and finding answers to those questions with bountiful amounts of information and content... or keep with the status quo and notch me closer to lodging a TIO complaint and porting out to Optus 😛
Mellet: Ben, I understand you wish to get more about the Apple watch details.
For the number 1. There is no information with regards in monthly repayment option, but you can request to the store to get handset to pay it in 24 months

Ben: you're not actually answering the first question
Ben: "Where is the information about MHRO (monthly hardware repayment options)?"
Ben: that doesn't answer that question
Mellet:

2. Today is the launch date, and the Pre Order started last 14th of Sep, due to the demand, lot of orders are being placed in back ordered

Ben: what is an MHRO? where is the information about them? where can i get a copy?

Mellet:

3. You can activate your business mobile number by requesting to activate the Telstra One Number

Ben: 2. there was no pre-order for apple watch, I have previous Live Chats and Twitter communications that support that
Mellet:

On the number 2, Ben the Apple watch can Pre Order is store

Ben: you're not answering 2. at all - as far as I know there's no stock anywhere, if there was a back-order the website would reflect this
Ben: cool, so when i mentioned earlier you can go above and beyond, you opted for option 2 which was to do the bare minimum and respout the same answers 🙂
Ben: this is going to be great when I add it online!
Ben: can you continue to tell me more things that don't answer my very specific questions?
Ben: regards to question 1, I had proven in the article there is information out there, so you actually make it worse by saying there isn't information
Ben: in our last conversation you had said there is information, you're contradicting yourself 😛
Ben: you are the person whom i mention in my live chat conversations in that article 😛
Mellet: Ben, I haven't provided that there is MRO is available online.
Mellet:

If you want, I can ring the store and connect you over to know more about the Apple watch series

Ben: but see i didn't ask that so I don't why you're saying that in the first place 🙂
Ben: i'm sure you'll connect me to a consumer store who will further complicate this
Ben: my questions are so awfully specific but you keep giving me generic answers
Mellet:

The consultant I have spoke clearly states that you can get Apple watch and pay it in 24 months on top on your monthly plan

Ben: why is it so hard to go "oh here's the information we gave to dealers about MHRO's, here you can have it too so you're informed"
Ben: were they consumer or were they business? I had mentioned to you i'm a business customer, i'm speaking to you via the business page on both counts
Ben: furthermore, in the article i clearly state that I have conflicting information, POST your conversation of you telling me that I had received conflicting information
Ben: what I want is something in writing, a PDF, some actual literature, some actual ANSWERS to my VERY SPECIFIC QUESTIONS!
Mellet: I have the details of the consultant I spoke earlier. Even business can get Apple watch and paid in 24 months.
Ben: I ask for MHRO information, you reply with something about MRO's for apple watches, two different things
Ben: if you had read my article you would know that i spoke to a gentleman at TBC Virginia that said I couldn't on business
Ben: so how about Telstra give us something clear? wouldn't that be a first
Ben: i'm going to request again, - i'd really like clear, reference-able answers specific to the context what i've written about
Ben: if you're unable, please don't guess.
Mellet: Ben, I am providing the details I have here and based on the representative I have spoke earlier from a store.
Mellet: There is no PDF and information online with regards on the monthly repayment option
Ben: mobile. hardware. repayment. option.
Ben: not MRO. MHRO
Ben: half of the issue here is that I keep asking for specifics and you keep continuing to not care
Ben: MRO & MHRO are two different things.
Ben: this is going nowhere
Ben: and it's going nowhere because of a lack of care or attention given to customers like myself as i think i've demonstrated now
Mellet: Monthly repayment option is for the mobile handset which is on our plan package as Business MObiles/Lease Plan.

MHRO is the monthly hardware repayment option where you can pay your hardware (example , the internet modem)  in 24 months contract
Ben: it's like i'm going "i would like information on buying a black 4WD with a cheque" and the reply I get is "well you could, but how about this black sedan you can buy with a consumer credit card ehhhh?"
Ben: it's actually not - i was advised that as of yesterday there's a new "mobile hardware repayment option" released for consumer customers for things like Apple Watches that's different for MRO's
Ben: but in true form to this conversation you're doubling down to be right instead of trying to help the customer 🙂

IvanS
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @sirroachie,

Thanks for the information, and I apologise for the very frustrating experience you have had in getting detailed options for the Apple Watch Series 4 on your specific Business account. 

Business Legacy accounts (10 digit account numbers) at this stage, only have the option to purchase the device outright. 

I have passed on your feedback regarding all the points you have raised. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

sirroachie

Okay, so if I had an 13-digit SMB account (on Sebel i'm guessing) then what are my options?

Whilst I appreciate some sort of reply from someone, it still leaves so many other questions unanswered, which continues to leave things very frustrating indeed.

Given how many views this and the other thread are getting on CrowdSupport i'm going to assume there's a lot of people in the same camp, and just want some simple answers but are still coming up short.

IvanS
Support Team
Support Team

I would recommend lodging a formal complaint for your Business account via one of the following methods: http://tel.st/ar88d

A Business Complaint Case Manager will be assigned to assist with the possibility of migrating your account to the 13 digit account system. 
If possible, then you are able to look into the HRO option. 

The HRO details for the Apple Watch Series 4 models are as follows: 

40mm: $32 per month for 24 months

44mm: $35 per month for 24 months

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

sirroachie

I give up, hey everyone - here are the answers, i've filled them in myself based off Telstra's incompetence.

• Where is the information about MHRO (monthly hardware repayment options)?

Answer: There isn't any widely available, we just let who-ever you talk to make it up as we go along. No PDF, no CIS, we just wing it.

• Does Telstra have ANY launch day stock anywhere of the Apple Watch Series 4?

Answer: LOL! We said we'd LAUNCH the Apple Watch today, we never said we'd bother having stock anywhere. LOLOLOL we're Telstra, we're just on the hype bandwagon.

• How long will it roughly take to get an Apple Watch if I order one?

Answer: WE CARE NOT FOR YOUR ANNOYING CUSTOMER SERVICE QUESTIONS! IT IS FAR TOO HARD TO HAVE A NATIONALLY RECOGNISED STOCK TRACKING SYSTEM SO WE SHALL SIMPLY NOT BOTHER! GOOD DAY PEASANT! I SAID GOOD DAY!

• As a business customer with a 10-digit account number, what are my options to paying off an Apple Watch over 24 months via an ARO/HRO/MHRO? Where is the information on my choices?

Answer: Get a 13 digit account number.

• If it's not as simple as dividing the total cost of an Apple Watch by 24 months, why is that and what are my options? e.g. If it's only available to Sebel customers, how can I migrate my account in a timely manner to have access to whatever systems you need to have access to?

Answer: Get a 13 digit account number.

• If there is no way to ARO/MHRO/ARO - why is Telstra charging above retail for the Apple Watch?

Answer: Something something we don't care, especially when it comes to your money or your time. In fact, if we wasted your day and you got no iPhone, no Apple Watch, no anything because you trusted we'd do the right thing - that's your fault, not ours.

sirroachie

sirroachie

I called that number - I just want to point out with this:

A) You didn't advise that i'd have to re-contract to transition and would have to pay out my handsets
B) When I called them about putting the Apple Watch on a HRO they told me black and blue I was wrong, even though I told them I had proof that someone from Telstra said I could. So I ask again, WHO'S GIVING ME THE RIGHT INFORMATION!?!?!?!

FFS.
ChrisKe
Level 1: Cadet

Anyone had any luck getting an Apple Watch 4 cellular to work with Telstra today? When I try and add using the Watch app in the phone, I get an error has occurred and Telstra phone support couldn’t help.

ShannonD
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @sirroachie

Thanks for commenting & I'm sorry for any confusion caused when contacting us. 

We are striving to improve our customer service, yes, we acknowledge that we are not there yet, but we are working hard to deliver a better experience.

To clarify, you can get an Apple Watch Series 4 (GPS + Cellular) as a Hardware Repayment Option.

Hardware Repayment Options are not available to Telstra Enterprise, Premier Business or Small Business customers that have 10 digit account numbers. 

You can also purchase outright from us here

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Hi @ChrisKe

What's the specific error message you're encountering?

Are you still experiencing issues?

If so, please take note of the message & report the issue to our mobile assurance team on 132200 between 8am-9pm AEST so we can investigate further. I'm sorry for any inconvenience experienced when contacting them previously.

Please let me know how you go or if you have any questions.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit