Garith1
Level 1: Cadet

Bali SIM card

In Bali, need to use a local SIM card for data, but my iPhone won't recognise the local indo sim. Apparently I need to "unlock" my phone. Does this mean jail break it???

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Bali SIM card

Garith......!!

Don't do that !!

They would be referring to either unlocking your phone which may be on contract to an Australian network.

Telstra ....ring 132200 and say "Unlocking"   and you will be taken to the correct department

Hope that helps

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Ms_Megahurtz
Level 12: Master Detective

Or go to http://unlock.telstra.com and punch in your phone's IMEI number (all the instructions are on the page).

Telstra then sends a request to Apple to remove the network blocking, takes MAXIMUM 72hrs.

You then sync the iPhone with iTunes and iTunes goes "oh hai, your phone is unlocked now" and away you go.

Only the iPhone 4/4S were locked, nothing since then of the iPhone fleet is locked when bought outright or on contract.

--------------------
Ms_Megahurtz
Nerdy Roller Derby Girl

** SPECIAL NOTE **
The opinions posted here are those of my own mind, and not those of my employer.
Lunaseruka
Level 11: Detective

What Ms_Megahurtz said. You beat me to it! But yes, going to the link supplied will take you to a feature where you can get the iphone unlocked. It will take 72 hours as also previously mentioned. Jailbreaking an iphone can bring a world of problems, it voids warranty and all sorts. Definitely do not recommend jailbreaking.
I am a Telstra Retention "saves" employee. My opinions and views I share on this medium are my own and not the opinion of the company
michelleaaaaaaa

I have a Telstra Iphone 6 plus that my sister gave me. I have used a vodaphone sim card in this for over a year. However when I try and insert an Indonesian Sim card it staed that the SIM card is not supported under the activation policy of the carrier that it is currently assigned.

it states 'this is not a hardware issue with the iPhone, please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone is unlocked by your carrier'

I have checked the IMEI and it is unlocked.

Please help!!!

DeltaSquad
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey @michelleaaaaaaa

Was the phone that your sister gave you a Telstra phone initially?

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

michelleaaaaaaa

yes it was, however it was purchased out right.

Lindy
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Michelleaaaaaaaa

Is this still an issue for you. 

All Iphones from the Iphone 5 and up, have all been sold by Telstra as unlocked from the Network. 

Have you checked in with Apple https://support.apple.com/en-au/contact

Kind Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit