wicket_maiden1
Level 1: Cadet

Data Usage Increase on iphone 5

HI all,

I am not very tech minded so bare with me!

I upgraded myself and my partners iphone 4's to iphone 5s (1gig data) in late november. Since then our data usage seems to have jumped dramatically? In the two years I had my iphone 4 I never went over usage and neither did my partner. Now we have both gone over at in the first month (which I understand is in part  due to the change over of billing cycles) but now only 2 weeks into my plan I am at 90% and my partner is at 60% (previously he has never gone over usage). Our usage remains the same as what we were doing previously.  I mainly use the phone for facebook, twitter, checking emails. I watched one 2 min long youtube video but other than that I can't think of anything that would make the usage jump so high.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks! 🙂

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Handoorhee

Re: Data Usage Increase on iphone 5

Absolutely. My wife and I have been losing data furiously. We have resorted to turning the mobile data off, and deleting most apps. The download is still excessive. Just checking emails a few times each day drains 100Mb. We have pretty much stopped using our phones. Tried using the Telstra app but it updates every few days, so we never know the actual daily downloads. After being on the phone for almost 1.5 hrs and speaking with about 5 or 6 people with exact same scripts, the last person told me to bring it in to the shop to have it looked at. Who has got time to go back to the shop and wait over half an hour to be served, then to sit for ages whilst it gets sorted? Whirlpool forum is going crazy with this issue. No fix from Telstra it Apple. Very unhappy so far. Want to go back and cancel contract but no time to do so.
TIN_JC
Level 5: Eagle Eye

When iPhone 5 was released with the newest Apple iOS 6, several issues came out about intensive data usages of this new OS. 

Aside from that Apple iPhone is a data-intensive device and can use large amounts of data - for example, by automatically checking your email on a frequent basis. The device also periodically checks for your emails even if there aren't any emails to download, which will incur charges. 

It's best to have your mobile data network off if you are not using your phone to access the web. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Disclaimer: The opinions stated above are my personal thought only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. My responses are based on the general knowledge and policy of Telecommunication Companies.

JCKH
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey guys,

I am aware of the issue which you've read about on the whirlpool forum. There are many thoughts around what is causing this, but from the evidence i've seen, I believe it seems to stem from the iOS6 update as i've seen this happen on iph4/4S's that have also updated. Apparently the 6.0.1/2 updates were supposed to rectify the issues, and I think for the most part it has, but i'm still seeing this occur from time to time. Just to confirm is the software at the latest version? Also have you tried a full restore through iTunes at all to see if that helps?
Unfortunately because seems to be a result of apple hardware/software there is very little control service providers (this has been a global issue) have apart from trying to manage any resulting excess usage with the customers as they report it.
Apple haven't been overly forthcoming about confirming or denying anything to do with this, however they do seem to be aware of it and i'm sure they will get on top of it fully in due time.

Josh | Tech Expert |
Need additional help? Book a Telstra Tech Bar appointment.

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra
JCKH
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

also some of the new features like auto syncing and backups to iCloud over cellular, email push, and when you go into the cellular options, down the bottom there are services which you can switch off from being used over cellular data like icloud document sync, itunes, facetime, passbook updates (i've been told this particular one can be a root cause) and reading list. I've heard some reports that by turning these off it can minimise the background data leakage.
Josh | Tech Expert |
Need additional help? Book a Telstra Tech Bar appointment.

Although I am Telstra staff, any views express are my own and don't necessarily reflect those of Telstra
wicket_maiden1

Thanks for the replies.

I have all the notifications etc turned off but I havent updated the latest update. I'll give that a try and see if it fixes the problem and let you know.

Thanks again!

Cookie2013

I am having the same problem after a year and a half of having very low data usage I upgraded my iPhone software and it has jumped up extremely high for this month only? Got my bill today and it is 6 times higher than usual!! Rang spoke to overseas operator said they would credit me some of the bill but I would still have to pay extra until it is sorted out with apple??? I don't understand how that is the customers fault? I have Never gone over my usage or even come close before!
wicket_maiden1

Hi All,

An update on the above issue.

I made sure my phone had the latest software, turned off all the automatic syncing and am still experiencing the issue. In fact, I ordered another 1gb data pack for  this month and have now used all of that, totallying over 2gb in one month (previously have never gone over 1gb in a month).

I use my phone only to check fb, twitter and emails. Occasionally I look at the net but not very often. I don't watch videos. Any other suggestions to fix this issue? If this can't be resolved, I would rather go back to my iphone 4 😞

endgame100

I like some of the others upgraded to an iphone 5. My usage has jumped through the roof. Not counting previous phone calls to telstra help on this issue, last week i spent over 70 minutes in one call on the phone with telstra, being bumped from dept to dept, re-telling the same story to 5 different people, taking a variety of interaction numbers that seem to mean nothing to the next person i speak to. I have recently had the new ios upgrade, so no change there Telstra!  My data usage on my phone (-go to settings- general-usage-cellular usage) is approx 1/3rd of what the 24/7 app and telstra are recording. The iphone reported usage is in line with my history of use over the last 4 years. I have been all through my phone, all icloud, itunes match options have been turned off. Telstra have a real issue here. I am apparently getting a call from online billing tomorrow whom by the way, depsite all the notes had no idea why they were calling me today.  Not very impressive, but kind of what you expect. Hopefully something will be done not just for me but for what i would assume is a large number of affected iphone users.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit