Joe310
Level 1: Cadet

Defective iPhone purchased from Telstra

Hi everyone I need some help.

I purchased an iPhone 12 Pro Max outright from Telstra on Saturday 20th Feb, the device was defective when I opened it. There was a small scratch on the bezel. I came back to the Telstra Store I bought it from on Sunday 21th Feb, the first staff told me I can get a replacement within 3 days of purchase, while the second (the store manager) just said they can't do the replacement/refund. He was very unfriendly and offered me no solution. He said I already opened it so it's not their fault. I told him I have filmed the unboxing video when I opened the device and it can prove the device was defective before I opened it. He stopped talking afterwards and let me no choice but to have to leave. I already made a complaint and just wondering is it possible to get a replacement/refund in this case? I am new to Australia and I do not really know much about consumer rights in Australia. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Defective iPhone purchased from Telstra

You should be able to get a replacement, but they haven't followed procedure in the first place. I have never been able to leave the store without them opening the box and powering up the phone to make sure that everything is OK.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit