asmci2306
Level 2: Rookie

Emails on iPhone have disappeared

Answered

I have a POP3 email account on my phone 8S. Prior to 24 April there were around  500 emails. Then all emails before 24 April disappeared. 

is there a way to get them back as I often need to access previous emails? Have settings for bigpond mail been changed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Emails on iPhone have disappeared

Yours is the second thread today reporting problems accessing Telstra Mail using a POP connection.  Please read the other thread.

There could be some commonality.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Dowser
Accepted Solution

Yours is the second thread today reporting problems accessing Telstra Mail using a POP connection.  Please read the other thread.

There could be some commonality.

View solution in original post

asmci2306

Thanks for responding. I’ve looked at the thread but a lot of this is gobbly **bleep** for me. Do you have any suggestions for what I can try. I want to keep my POP account. I’m reluctant to delete and reinstall as I’m concerned that my sent emails will be gone- I really need to find them if possible. I’m puzzled as to why after years of no drama that things have changed. Has Telstra changed the settings? 

Dowser

You could have a look in your email client (program) on your computer & see if the emails are there, and also check what is on the mail server by using Telstra WebMail.

Regarding whether “Telstra changed the settings?”, that is a question you could put to Telstra Support via the My Telstra app > Get help section, or by messaging them on your phone.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

It's about the same time that iOS 14.5 came out, so the settings in your mail app about the retention on the server may have been changed.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
asmci2306

I tried contacting Telstra and after 4 hours I gave up. Useless! 

Dowser

Did you check the setting that @Jupiter mentioned?.

If you also access your emails on a computer your missing emails could still be on there.

asmci2306

The setting is to retain messages on the server. I would appreciate any help. I’ve tried Telstra and Apple and got nowhere. 

Jupiter

If you log in to your account via webmail, are the emails still there?

If they are, then you need to check the setting on your iPhone to see how long the local device sync period is. The default for most email apps is 14 days (to save space on the device).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
asmci2306

I can’t find a sync setting - any ideas? 

Dowser

@asmci2306 wrote:

I can’t find a sync setting - any ideas? 

I think @Jupiter could be referring to:

Settings > Mail > Accounts > Fetch New Data

then look if Bigpond  is Fetch or Manual

Fetch can be set to Automatically, Manually, Hourly, Every 30 minutes or Every 15 minutes.

Nb: in my case my account name is Bigpond

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit