Mustbeajoke
Level 3: Gumshoe

How do I stop calls being announced on my mobile and blocking an active call

Answered

When I am on an active call and another call comes in, the active call is muted on my end (I can't hear what the other person is saying) and I hear the Telstra robot announcing the new incoming call.

I have changed the setting on my mobile to NOT announce calls, I have reset the phone, I have reset network settings, I have turned the phone off and on, I have looked through the Telstra app, I have spoken to the "Technical" assistance people, who told me to change my ring tone (clearly expert advise) and nothing works.

I need my phone for work and require a professional system, not something that requires me to ask people to repeat themselves while conducting an interview regarding their sensitive information. 

As you are all aware, Telstra doesn't have a clue, nor are they interested in escalating the issue to someone higher than their heavily scripted online "help" person.

This matter is currently with the TIO.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dowser
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: How do I stop calls being announced on my mobile and blocking an active call

@Mustbeajoke wrote:

Yes, I want the same functionality I had before I started with a Telstra contract!

I want call waiting and for me to see who is calling me if I am on another call without interrupting that live call like I had before I stupidly signed up with Telstra.

It is so typical for you, as a Telstra employee, to imply that there is no longer an issue only after disabling functions on the phone. That would be like saying take the battery out so the phone doesn’t ring and now your problem is solved.

More examples of the pathetic mindset that is instilled in Telstra employees.

Steady on @Mustbeajoke

@laurenyvonne is politely trying to help you, just like the rest of us.

It appears from your last two posts that you misunderstand the settings on the iPhone.

Setting Announce Calls to Never does not stop Call Waiting from working.

My iPhone operates with the functionality that you said you want - that is only a visual indication of a waiting call, without any muting or verbal announcement of the call.

The settings in Settings > Phone on my iPhone are:

• Incoming Calls - Banner
  • Announce Calls - Never
  • Wi-Fi Calling - On
  • Respond with Text - (default settings)
  • Call Forwarding - Off
  • Call Waiting - On
  • Show My Caller ID - On
  •  
  • Silence Unknown Callers - Off
  • Blocked Contacts - (empty)

I suggest that you replicate these settings on your iPhone, and then test an incoming call to see if it exhibits the functionality that you want.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
24 REPLIES 24
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: How do I stop calls being announced on my mobile and blocking an active call

I don't know what you think the TIO is going to be able to do about it. It is a function of your phone, not of the network. 

To turn the announcements off, go into phone settings, go to Phone, then Calls, then Announce Calls and select the setting that you want.

The other way is to turn off Call Waiting completely and the calls will go straight to messagebank if you are already in a call.

As you may be aware, End Users may not always have a clue about the functionality of the device that they are using either. In this case, a simple Google search would have provided you with the answer in a matter of seconds.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Dowser

It could be worth turning the function on and then off again on your iPhone.

It is located at Settings > Phone > Announce Calls

Mustbeajoke

@JupiterThank you for your time;

I have had this issue only since I started a new plan and have done multiple tests with Apple to remove the possibility it is a phone issue, it's not. I have had part of this issue rectified whereby Telstra stated it was a plan issue.

The TIO was engaged at week four of this issue because when the supplier, Telstra, can't provide a basic service that I am paying for and had before the plan was changed. Therefore, the TIO might be able to escalate the issue to a tech to apply a fix to what would seem to be a very basic phone function.

Regarding not having a clue, you are right, the complexities of a announce calls over a current call is too hard for me, hence the post.

Regarding the simple Google search, I have tried what I believe is everything over the last month and a bit to resolve it. Knowing Telstra tech teams are useless, I looked at Google to see how many others were experiencing a similar issue, all other posts related to landlines.

Mustbeajoke

Done it at least 20 times over the last month!!

I only wish it was that simple!

Dowser

You could put your SIM card into a different iPhone, turn off Announce Calls, restart the phone and then test if the problem has followed your mobile service.

This could assist in isolating the iPhone or the Telstra network as being the cause of the problem.

By the way, you said that you “hear the Telstra robot announcing the new incoming call”. What does it say. and is it the same every time?.

Mustbeajoke

The robot states the same each time;

"phone call from XXX XXX XXX"

I have done exactly that and used the sim in another phone, not on the plan that I have issues with, and the problem replicated, hence me the knowledge that it isn't a phone issue rather a Telstra plan or Sim issue.

Dowser

It’s sounding as if has to be corrected at a Telstra system level.

Are you on a Business Account?.

If so, you could have raised the issue with your Account Manager.

Now though, it’s already in the hands of the TIO so it’s best to let that process run its course.

Mustbeajoke

I was considering a business account, I am eligible, but wasn't keen when I experienced firsthand their level of professionalism and performance. 

I was told within the first week of raising the issue at the store I started the plan with and I quote;

"You should pay out the phone and the plan and go to a different provider"

I asked the salesperson, have I been rude, aggressive, disrespectful or a problem in any way, to which she replied, we have the Police in here a few times a week and if all of our customers were as nice as you, our job would be easier.

I said, so you are telling me because we can't seem to fix the issue, I should pay you thousands and then go somewhere else. To say I was shocked is an understatement!

So, no, I won't be trying a business account with them.

Dowser

If that sort of unprofessional conduct occurs then one should record the salesperson’s identity and contemporaneous notes of the incident.

Unfortunately it can be pot luck regarding experiences with Telstra.

Telstra are going to take over ownership of all Telstra stores, and hopefully then service will improve.

Mustbeajoke

I have been in business for about 19 years, including some International aspects and I was appalled at the statement. I asked to see the Manager, but the Manager refused to speak to me on any of the three occasions I was in the store. Apparently, the young sales lady said it was the Manager that suggested I go elsewhere.

The experience has been unpleasant from the start, but the biggest annoyance is that the issues were and the remaining issue is, the most mundane aspect of a phone service, and to that end, I am absolutely frustrated and in disbelief that we can land a machine on Mars but we can't provide technical assistance to have a phone do the simplest of tasks.

Anyway, I appreciate your ongoing efforts and consideration

Dowser

Have you had the problem corrected?.

Mustbeajoke

No, haven't been contacted.

I am not surprised at all, this is just another representation of their poor customer focus

Dowser

I thought that the TIO would have sorted it, however there are reports that they are swamped with complaints about the various providers.

FYI, the contact number for Telstra Support is 132200 (9am - 8pm AEST) weekdays(?), and ask for the Faults team.

If I was in your position, I would call them and tactfully ask to speak to a high level technician.

Mustbeajoke

The TIO has told me they have an 8-week waiting time.

I have asked to speak to a senior Tech and I was told, that the person I was speaking with was it, I laughed at them and said, I have spoken to a senior tech when one of the issues I experienced was fixed. I pointed out to them that if changing a ring tone was their suggestion to address the issue, they had proven without a doubt that they in fact were not a senior tech.

I have given u and accepted this is my life until I can get out of the contract without selling a kidney.

Sadly, I think this happens a lot and people get so tired of no service that to save themselves from losing the plot they just accept it and wait until they can leave.

I would love to change the "ownership" of the coverage that Telstra has and make it accessible to all, that way, people could choose a Telco based on service instead of having to use Telstra due to their coverage.

Just talking about them makes me feel angry, I just think it's a joke that Telstra can stay in business with their abhorrent disregard for any professionalism or duty of care after they stitch you up.

laurenyvonne
Support Team
Support Team

Is this issue on an Apple iPhone? And you've changed the announce calls setting to never?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Mustbeajoke

Yes I have, this is the only way I could stop the issue.

It doesn’t mean that acceptable, I have to limits simple functions to eliminate greater issues.

I need the simple functions for my business.

as I have stated earlier, as soon as I can leave, I will go to a carrier that offers professional and timely service.

laurenyvonne
Support Team
Support Team

Just to confirm your phone is no longer announcing calls now that you've set it to never. Is there another issue you're having with the device?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Mustbeajoke

Yes, I want the same functionality I had before I started with a Telstra contract!!

I want call waiting and for me to see who is calling me if I am on another call without interrupting that live call like I had before I stupidly signed up with Telstra.

It is so typical for you, as a Telstra employee, to imply that there is no longer an issue only after disabling functions on the phone. That would be like saying take the battery out so the phone doesn’t ring and now your problem is solved.

Dowser
Accepted Solution

@Mustbeajoke wrote:

Yes, I want the same functionality I had before I started with a Telstra contract!

Steady on @Mustbeajoke

@laurenyvonne is politely trying to help you, just like the rest of us.

It appears from your last two posts that you misunderstand the settings on the iPhone.

Setting Announce Calls to Never does not stop Call Waiting from working.

My iPhone operates with the functionality that you said you want - that is only a visual indication of a waiting call, without any muting or verbal announcement of the call.

The settings in Settings > Phone on my iPhone are:

• Incoming Calls - Banner
  • Announce Calls - Never
  • Wi-Fi Calling - On
  • Respond with Text - (default settings)
  • Call Forwarding - Off
  • Call Waiting - On
  • Show My Caller ID - On
  •  
  • Silence Unknown Callers - Off
  • Blocked Contacts - (empty)

I suggest that you replicate these settings on your iPhone, and then test an incoming call to see if it exhibits the functionality that you want.

View solution in original post

Mustbeajoke

Well whoever you are, you are the first person in 9 weeks to fix this problem.

So, @laurenyvonne, please accept my sincerest apologies, sadly, and it doesn’t help you, this issue has driven me crazy due to the impact on my business. Not that I am giving you an excuse, just explaining the reason for my poor form.

To the person who offered the fix, my sincerest thanks. All I wanted was for the simplest of functionality to ensure I could provide a professional response to my clients.

I am very grateful for the time and thought offered to get this right

Mustbeajoke

This issue intermittently comes back without any changes to the phone settings. I am at the point where I want to pay out what I need to so I can go back to Optus. What an absolute joke, the TIO is so busy handling their complaints they can't keep up. What has to happen to make these fools accountable????? Currently, they can't send my a code to verify who I am after they were supplied and email address, two phone numbers, account details, DOB, and name. If it wasn't so deplorable, it would be funny

Jupiter

As it is a function of the phone and not a Telstra network function, trying to get a Telstra consultant (or the TIO) to fix the problem is a waste of time.

Your best option is to contact Apple Support and see if they can figure out why it keeps changing (have you checked the settings after each firmware update?), as they are best placed to figure out what is going on with it.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Mustbeajoke

Hello,

Yes, the phone is up to date and Apple has run tests. When I put another Sim in the phone, it functions perfectly

Jupiter

To be honest, I'm at a loss. Telstra's system cannot make your phone announce who is calling. All the system does is provide the Caller ID to your handset and then it makes up its mind what it wants to do with it.

The only other thing I can think of is if the calls that are being announced are coming through Facetime instead of as regular calls.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit