psionic001
Level 1: Cadet

How do I stop receiving SMS messages as Emails.

Every time my mum tries to SMS me it ends up coming to my email rather than to my phone in the format 61413000000@Online.telstra.com.au, 

Does anyone know why/how I would be receiving these?

Even if I test her from my phone, then she replies, some replies arrive as a SMS, but inevitably, one or two somehow get diverted to my email and land in my inbox as described above. I can't determine if the issue is on my side or her side.

Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: How do I stop receiving SMS messages as Emails.

That's a tricky one. I was under the impression that the SMS<->email gateway had been turned off quite a few years ago. Not sure that there would be anyone in Telstra's customer support that would even remember that it was even possible to do that.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Jupiter

If you have an email account on your phone that is on an Exchange server, go into the settings and turn off Sync messages. That should fix the problem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
psionic001
Level 1: Cadet

I don't have any exchange server or anything like that. My normal email address is simply a Gmail based hosted domain. And I have no idea how it's converting an SMS to reach me at my email.

I've even tested it on my mums phone to eliminate user error, and sent an SMS to my phone number, and I get this issue as described above.

Jupiter

Have you tried deleting yourself as a contact in your mother's phone and then add it back in again?

It is rather odd. You used to be able to send an SMS to an email address, but that stopped quite a while ago.

The Exchange issue was the only other method that caused that behaviour.

Reggie4806
Level 4: Private Eye

SMS to Email still works for me. Just sent a text to my email and it came through from my mobile number @Online.telstra.com.au as described. Have also had similar from friends selecting wrong contact detail for me before.

Agree with checking / re-creating contact on mum's phone. Suspect she has email as default contact method or is selecting your email instead of mobile when texting.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit