vpr
Level 2: Rookie

IG8 premium service

I just got my 15 yr olds mobile bill and it had $99 worth of premium sms calls on it from an IG8 service.
I didnt know we had subscribed to have premium numbers.
It "appears" and I will have to check this out, that she entered a competition and hasnt understood the charges for it.
all the messages come through at 1 in the morning and that generally means it is a scam.
really really unhappy and angry.
Telstra is not taking responsibility for this group ripping people off through its service.
there have been lots and lots of complaints and still nothing is being done.
This is not a bill I will be paying until I have worked it out.
Have barred the number now and on my way down to telstra to check out my contract to see if we allowed it or not.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Angela_H
Support Team
Support Team

Re: IG8 premium service

Hi vpr,

I'm sorry to read your 15 year old has entered competitions that have incurred extra costs.

There are lots of these types of services around ranging from special ring tones, games of chance & competitions. You can learn more here Premium SMS and Telstra Carrier Billing

You have said you have barred this number, you do have the option to bar all premium SMS & can organise that online vi the following sceure chat link  http://tel.st/49kl

You'll find some great advice here via this independent party too http://www.19sms.com.au/

Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

vpr

she didnt enter the competiton at all
this is a scam!

Big_Dan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi @vpr,

I believe that you have been told by your daughter she didn't enter a competition, however these things cannot happen spontaneously, an action needs to have been taken through the phone for the subscription to have been taken up. Whether that is entering a competition or tapping on the wrong banner ad, to making an in-app purchase in an app; something needs to have precipitated this subscription.

Our billing team (here: http://tel.st/hsc3, or a call to 13 22 00, "billing" when prompted) can apply a barring to prevent future subscriptions being taken out on the service. This however, will not cancel the existing subscription. I suggest following Angela's advice above, and using 19sms.com.au to action an unsubscription, then contact us directly to apply the barring.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

vpr

if people even minors can "accidently" subscribe to this then that is a real problem. People should not be able to Accidently sign up to this sort of thing.
Telsta has a duty of care to make sure that it's customers are not taken advantage of.
These people are scamming money out of unsuspecting customers and telstra is washing their hands of it.
also there is nothing to stop someone else from putting your number into one of these as my telstra rep told me today.
So this is an issue that Telstra needs to fix.

And if one more telstra rep tells me my daughter is lying .. i will be taking that further to.

Big_Dan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

We appreciate you taking the time to provide this feedback @vpr, and we have passed it along. We're committed to improving and we will only do so if our customers hold us to account. I strongly recommend taking the action I outlined above to prevent this happening again.

vpr

I have both sent a STOP message..
and barred the number with the people at my local Telstra shop.
I will return there if there are any other issues.
Thank you

Big_Dan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

No worries @vpr, report back with your progress, would love to learn it has been resolved.

scammed
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Big_dan

Unfortunately you are wrong. These charges do happen spontaneously. I have a telstra mobile device that has been unpowered since may 2016, yet in august last year I was billed for third party content from IG8 pty ltd service.

What you mean to tell everyone is that Telstra's process on handling these third party charges is to blame the customer for inadvertently clicking on something, even if their mobile device has been unpowered for months. Surely the lady who is handling my complaint must have felt a little idiotic explaining to me that I may have clicked on an ad or something, even after I explained to her several times that the device had been without power for months.

I suspect the only response customer support can give is to blame the victim of these scams, after all, what are the chances of someone getting a mobile device and then leaving it dormant... The customer has no evidence they didn't click on the service, and Telstra won't provide evidence that they did.

I can't vouch for whether vpr's device legitimately subscribed to these services or not, but I can say that Telstra seems totally uninterested in looking into these. Surely it is not hard to tell a customer what website, or game they subscribed to. And Telstra support seems totally uninterested in investigating and stopping this scam.

vpr

thank you.
Yes My daughter said she didnt. I believe her...
The people at IG8 told me it was for a Calvin Klein voucher.. the people at telstra said it was for a new phone..
Testra also said someone else is able to put her number in.
These terms are in small print under the competition. A young child would never understand that and many young people have iphones now.
Telstra has pages of complaints against this group and yet refuses to take action.
It is breaching it's duty of care to it's customers.
Thanks for your post.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit