Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

iMessage activation error, please advice

Hi Telstra, I have been waiting for more than 36 hrs, my iMessage on my Iphone 5s can still not be activated. I have friends with optus and vodafone, some of them just bought the phone yesterderday and are capable to use iMessage staight way. So I doubt it is only Telstra network having the issue. I am on business plan, lots of my contacts are still sending me the iMessages (as dafault) and don't realise I can't receive via my phone. I tried to turn off iMessage from iMac and ipad, but my phone can still not receive any messages from My contacts if they sent the messages via iphone.  I have reset all settings and tried all different ways, but still waiting for activation. 

Please fix the issue asap as it has been caused so many inconveniences. Thanks.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Re: iMessage activation error, please advice

iPhone: Troubleshooting a cellular data connection

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3780

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

Most likely due to a huge amount of new iPhone users and existing users upgrading, or even some doing a fresh install of iOS7 either the Apple servers or Telstra servers were under some strain (probably both). I found that after about 48 hours I had both Facetime and iMessage activated successfully.

According to Apple, it can take up to 24hrs for an activation request to either succeed or fail.

I found that Saturday early morning I activated (after a restore to a new iPhone 5s), it failed a few times trying to activate, then after it said waiting for activation, I waited, then late Saturday the status was failed, so I activated again, then by Sunday afternoon it had activated.

So I would recommend checking the status, if it fails turn iMessage &/or FaceTime off then back on again. If you keep turing it off and on it resets the activation request each time, so only turn off, then turn on, then wait for either success or failure. On failure turn off then on again. A little bit of patience and you should be good to go.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Hi, I have the same problem
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Spanryim,

Welcome to Crowd Support Smiley Happy

Strange that you would be having issues with this iMessage service as this was an issue that was resolved back in 2013 with an iOS update. Have you recently upgraded your handset to a newer version of the iPhone? If so then you would have to disable the iMessage service on the old handset so that this is able to work correctly on the new device.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit