Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
bax_ry
Level 1: Cadet

Re: iMessage Telstra Carrier Settings

Success, My verification has gone through and I have just had my number confirmed for iMessages.

I hope that you are all finding the same with your own devices.

As a Telstra customer it would be good to see more posts on any further issues you come across with this operation of the iphone, in the end its going to benefit all of us customers in this position to have our tech issues resolved.

Good use of the forum medium to make the company aware of how many of us are reporting the same issue and to realise its not just the idiot operating the phone.

Also Id be keen to hear of anyone that finds they are billed for the international sms mentioned earlier.

Hopefully Telstra has the abilty to identify this UK number as a free contact so no charges are incured by anyone who no doubt tried to activate the **bleep** thing 50 times yesterday.

Thanks for a quick response

Cheers

jokiin
Level 21: Augmented

@Geoff-C wrote:

It is now working 🙂

no carrier update so could only guess they've changed something in the backend if it's now working (will try it myself shortly as well)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
azriel550

iMessage now activates for me too. FaceTime however is still broken. Same problem.
azriel550

@azriel550 wrote:
iMessage now activates for me too. FaceTime however is still broken. Same problem.

Scratch that.  Facebook seems to have righted itself now as well.

Also, I had to sign out of my AppleID in iMessage settings for my messages to be sent from my phone number rather than my email address.

Good luck

MarkEmery

Issue is resolved morning of 8th Feb2012.
DanK
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I received notification from the network team that the issue appears to be resolved and came in to post an update but you are all way ahead of me Smiley Happy

Glad to hear that the service is back up and running for all.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines
jokiin
Level 21: Augmented

if it doesn't activate go to Settings/General/Reset/Reset Network Settings and reset it, this will reload the carrier profile correctly, should activate no issue once you've done this
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
tristanobrien

This issue has happened again today as from around 12pm. Has telsta sent out any new updates? I never had this issue prior to today. I wasnt able to recieve any messages sent via iMessage and when i sent out they were coming from my email address rather than phone number. When i turned off iMessage and back on it just sits on activating.

Can Telstra please get this sorted!

mangkone

I'm on the 5S. iMessage/Facetime refuses to activate! I've done the hard reset and set up as a new iphone to force it to activate the number as imessage but it just sits on "waiting for activation" so annoying! 

I was running ios 7 on an iPhone 5 and that one activates the number just fine! WHAT IS GOING ON?

dgold

I'm having exactly the same issue. iPhone 5s with Telstra. Won't activate via Facetime or iMessage. I understand from Apple it is a Telstra issue.

CSUser480

Telstra, fix this problem now!! I'm another user that can't send iMessages.
I was told to turn iMessages off then back on , but unable to turn the iMessages back on saying that it needs cellular or wifi turned on; and both are on!! Fix this telstra; you are deliberately trying to prevent people using a free imessage service to make more profits!!
Ashley
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Are you having any issues with accessing the internet in any other apps or are you just getting that message when you are trying to activate iMessage?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

alanajoyce
Level 4: Private Eye

Could I be having the same problem? Just ported from Optus, new iphone 6+, unable to activate imessage using number since launch day. Have tried EVERYTHING (including restore to new iphone) and taken the phone to Apple (restored) and Telstra shop in High Point after two phone calls each to Apple and Telstra.

TimBartel
Community Manager

Hi alanajoyce, I'd recommend speaking directly to Mobile Assurance just here: http://tel.st/hsc3 so that we can look into this for you. Please also be aware though that it's like that Apple's services are getting absolutely slammed at the moment due to the new handset release so there may not be an immediate fix.

Cheers, Tim 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

alanajoyce

am there now, thank you

alanajoyce

Thank you, she was unable to help, said it is a phone feature!

Edit: ARGH!!!!

ajtan

Hi 

I am also having the same problem activating iMessage for the last 5-6 days. I am a new Telstra customer from Optus on the iPhone 6+.

I either get stuck on 'Waiting for activation'' for hours before it ultimately being unsuccessful. Or having an 'iMessage Activation - An error occurred during activation' when I toggle on and off.

Have been on the phone for hours with Telstra/Apple running through the same troubleshooting over and over again to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated

JessicaCL
Support Team
Support Team

Hi ajtan,

I will get our mobile technicians to have a look at this one when they are back in tomorrow for you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

ajtan

Thanks Jessica

I have a feeling that the SMS message that Telstra sends to Apple to verify the service, is either being blocked or restricted. My friends and family, who have upgraded to the iPhone 6 but are with other carriers, activate with no issues.

alanajoyce

I'm still in the same boat Ajtan.

Ronny_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Ajtan and Alanajoyce,

It's not good to hear that you are both still having issues with iMessage.

Can you both try the instructions at the following link and see if they make any difference http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4268.

- Ronny

alanajoyce

Have tried that Ronny, several times and been to Apple and tested shops as well as phone support. Restored, reset, signed in and out, checked everything including ids, numbers, countries,dates and times, WiFi, airplane mode...everything 😞
Ronny_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Does your iMessage function when you try and use it on another iPhone device with the same Apple ID?

- Ronny

alanajoyce

Yes, the appleid works, it's the number that will not activate
alanajoyce

The appleid works on this and other devices, the number will not activate on this device.
Ronny_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I can see how this must be frustrating you Alana.

Were you having issues with iMessage before you got your iPhone 6+? Do you have any other issues with data on your phone?

Are you receiving any error messages on your iPhone when you try to send an iMessage? Are you able to receive iMessages as well?

I'm assuming that regular SMS is functioning on your device without issue.

- Ronny

alanajoyce

No problems previously Ronnie, I was with Optus and actually using a Note 3 for the past year until I ported to you with the iPhone 6+. I have had every iPhone to date and no problem wih iMessage.

I have no browsing problems, no data problems using cellular or wifi, 3G or 4G. I can send sms and mms. I can use iMessage WITH my appleid only.

I can receive iMessage but only to the appleid when I have it as a send/receive at address. It's the number that won't work. Is there something in the porting process that isn't allowing the number to activate? The other fellow is in the same boat with a ported number from Optus.

If I remove the email address, iMessage will not work nor does it fall back to sms in that particular message even though send as sms is selected in the instance of iMessage failing. I have to  start a new sms adding the contact to start sending sms again to that contact.

When I try to activate the number, I get "waiting for activation" then it fails after so many hours "failed to activate". OR if it doesn't get that far, there will be an instant message of "iMessage Activation. An error occurred during activation. Try again.".

Ronny_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Alanajoyce,

Thanks for the details, they really help paint a better picture of what might be causing your problem. 

Nonetheless, in order for us to investigate this further with you I have sent you a private message with a link to a webform to fill out. Once you have filled out the webform you should receive a reference number on this page and we can follow this through further with you.

- Ronny

alanajoyce

Sorry Ronny, the message didn't work - I have an alert email in my @telstra.com email but nothing in here when I look. (removed from privacy reasons) will work

ajtan

I am having the exact same problems with you alanajoyce. No problems at all with data or regular SMS, or iMessage with the apple ID email. Just can't iMessage using my phone number.

As you say, perhaps it is an issue from porting from Optus.

DingoDan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey alanjoyce,

One thing that you have to do when changing from one Apple device to another is turn the iMessage service off on the old device and then have this profile moved to the new handset. This will allow the iMessage services to start working on the new handset you have received. 

Let me know how this goes?

alanajoyce

That was done when I sold my iPhone 5S last year also I erased it and removed it from list of devices and made sure it wasn't on find my iphone. Have rechecked now and no trace.

ajtan

I did this as well on my old iPhone 5. I unchecked my phone number and turned iMessage off on the old device and got a notification that the number was no longer being used. But verification still fails.

alanajoyce

I've been speaking to  Apple and my number was not found,  I was told to send a text to 19948369 number with the word "help". I did not receive a response.  I was told that indicates that my service may not have been provisioned correctly and may have blocks or filters on it preventing the activation.

Edit: I have just put in an Optus prepaid sim and was able to activate that number :((((( Not good. I need to be able to use my Telstra sim with my ported number as I am under contract.

nh1216
Level 2: Rookie

I am having the exact same problems with alanajoyce. No problems at all with data or regular SMS, or iMessage with the apple ID email. Just can't iMessage using my phone number.

Alanajoyce, do you have problem receiving calls from Vodafone, I can't receive call from vodafone users ( ported my service from Vodafone)?

Could someone help from Telstra to resolve this problem?

Thanks Niki
alanajoyce

Hi Niki, I ported from Optus and can receive calls from Optus. From what I've been reading on the net last night, is that the sim sends the activation request, and Apple sends a return message but with some numbers that have been ported, the incoming message from Apple isn't being received or recognised by the carrier (Telstra in this case).

https://www.google.com.au/#q=ported+number+not+being+imessage

I have just put in a new prepaid sim with Telstra and activated that - it's the port process somehow. Please how is this sorted, Apple says Telstra, Telstra says Apple.

DanK
Community Manager

If you have upgraded from a previous model iPhone with another carrier then you may not have deactivated iMessage on that device.

I would recommend first deactivating iMessage on your new phone then putting your SIM in the old device, deactivating iMessage on that too. Once this is done leave it off for a full 24 hours then attempt to activate iMessage again with the new device.

Sometimes when upgrading to a new iPhone it gets stuck on the old handset and continues to deliver messages there.

alanajoyce

Thanks Dank,

It's port related. ALL of the trouble shooting steps including that have been investigated. Apple confirmed that my number is not registered to a previous handset  on their servers.  I've spoken to faults and it was suggested that this is a common problem with ported numbers. I'm hoping that they have a solution?

Hexametry

This is just to report that I am in the same situation as alanajoyce and atjan. I ported from Vaya / Optus network on an Android handset to an iPhone 6 on Telstra. Same issue - cannot activate imessage or facetime using my mobile number though can login using apple ID. Am also using a wifi only iPad Air which logs in fine using Apple ID using home wifi network.
Hexametry

One more thing if it helps - when I tried to activate WhatsApp and requested they send me an sms for the device verification code the sms didn't come through to the phone. Also I cannot activate two factor authentication for iCloud because I don't get their verification code either.
Matt_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi all,

For those of you who are still having issues getting iMessage to work after porting in from another carrier.

Please private message me stating that you're still having this issue. I'll then send you a form to complete so we can obtain your details and follow up on this issue for you.

-Matt W

alanajoyce

Same with whatsapp for me
alanajoyce

I pmED Matt 5 last Thursday and no response. Please, this is just silly 😞

Why are some ported numbers not working wih iMessage?

Edit: I have been on the phone again with Apple and Telstra. Telstra now have told me that I need to activate international roaming so that I can send the activation sms to Apple and activate my mobile number. Since I am a new customer, I need to give a sizeable deposit which will be refunded after 6 months.

I didn't know that I couldn't send international sms, I have been charged for some that I have attempted manually - and also thought through my reading regarding this problem, that Telstra now have a non international number that sends the imessage activation sms through to. +61 etc. So then, IF i cannot send international sms unless I pay a huge deposit, but it's an AUssie gateway number....why?

Angela_H
Support Team
Support Team

Hi alanajoyce,

Our Matt is not available at this stage. I would suggest calling 132200 and saying 'mobile phone fault' if you want this looked at right away.

Angela 

Matt_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi alanajoyce,

I was replying to you via Facebook earlier and it seems the post has been removed? Apologies I haven't been able to respond to your PM yet.

My response was:

You don't require to have international roaming to receive the activation message for iMessage. Try following the steps on this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2755

-Matt W

alanajoyce

Thanks Matt, we were (Apple support and I), last night that international roaming needed to be activated and a $300 deposit made since I've only been a mobile customer since 19/09 this time around. That didn't sound right - was told that I didn't again this morning, then the employee after that read last night's notes and told me I did need roaming with  "so sorry".

I actually asked someone in the states if I could send them a text - they got it, and also received the MMS that I sent afterward. However, when they tried to reply, I could not receive it. So I can send international sms and MMS but cannot receive them (and that carries over to not receiving the incoming messages needed to activate iMessage that I don't see).

This has finally been escalated today and I am waiting for someone to call me back within 24 hours. I so hope they can sort out why I cannot receive the incoming international messages since the port.

Matt_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi alanajoyce,

I hope its resolved for you from the escalation. Please let us know if you continue to have problems afterwards.

-Matt W

alanajoyce

Thanks Matt 😄 I have fingers and toes crossed.

alanajoyce

All sorted!  Escalated again Saturday night and today, my iMessage activated...checked some international texts, I received replies and a test text from a vodafone number! Telstra rang me tonight and I was able to tell them that I was very happy that the problem has been resolved - it was related to the porting of my number.

Hexametry

Glad it got sorted for you alanajoyce. I'm continuing to have problems after PM to Matt and escalating it with Telstra - I have asked them to check the porting of my number to Telstra but they ignored that and are stll persisting with the troubleshooting already set out by Apple and which I have already tried. They want me to be connected to wifi while troubleshooting but I have already done this myself and know this to not resolve the problem. Matt would it be possible to get them to check the porting directly without having to go through the standard troubleshooting again?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit