rleigh
Level 2: Rookie

iMessage - Telstra Pre Paid

Attention Telstra Support:

Symptom: I am unable to activate iMessage on my iPhone 3GS.

Some background:

I have ported my number from Amaysim Pre Paid (uses the Optus network) to a $2 Telstra SIM, purchased and processed by the Telstra Shop employees yesterday. I am using the Pre-Paid Simplicity Offer.

I am running iOS 5.1 (the latest).

Settings --> General --> About --> Carrier: Telstra 12.0

Before the switch I have had iMessage activated and working (using my existing number).

After the switch I am unable to activate (and therefore use) iMessage. However, I am able to make and receive phone calls, text messages and use the data connection without problem.

Tested and Tried options I have tested and tried a number of different options to try and enable iMessage using my new Telstra Pre Paid SIM - none of which worked;

- turning the phone off and on

- removing the sim, cycling the phone, and inserting the sim

- Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings

- I have done a complete restore of the iPhone through iTunes, not using the backup settings, so no pre-existing settings carried over

Considering iMessage worked up until the switch, it suggests that this problem is something todo with the change-over.

I look forward to resolving this issue. Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Re: iMessage - Telstra Pre Paid

I'm not Telstra Support, but I could suggest a few options:

If you have it enabled for your iCloud/MobileMe account, can you switch it off, leave it off for a bit, and switch it back on? Can you also sign out and back into Facetime

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

jokiin
Level 21: Augmented

your problem is likely an Apple related one, aside from what Ben has suggested above if still no good login to your account in iTunes, go to manage devices and delete your phone and set it up again, leaving iMessage turned off for a while and sending a few messages before turning it back on often sorts it out though
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
rleigh

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried switching off the iCloud service (and logging out), waiting a bit, and then switching back on again.

I can't test the Facetime option as my phone doesn't support that (iPhone 3GS).

Any other suggestions?

rleigh

Hi jokiin,

Thanks for the reply.

I have logged-in to iTunes, and deleted the device from the list. I then deleted any previous backups, and reset all the sync history. From here, I then restored my phone again to the original settings (iOS 5.1).

The iPhone obviously defaults to iMessage, as when its a brand new configution, it says that iMessage is on - and that I am still waiting for activation.

I am still leaning towards a carrier issue, however since I only know people with the micro-sim I can't test it in my phone.

I am willing to try anything else to try and activate iMessage.

Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Can you try turning iMessage off, and back on again?

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

rleigh

Hi Ben,

Yes I have tried turning it off and on a number of times to no success. I have tried turning iMessage off, restarting the phone, then turning iMessage back on.

I guess I will wait a few days, try again and see what happens?

JessicaKathleen

I had a very similar issue, but I managed to get around it after an hour or so of mucking around with the settings. From memory; turn iMessages and iCloud off, and logout of your iTunes account (Settings > Store) then turn iMessages back on and login that way. If that fails, turn iMessages off, and logout again, and try turning on iCloud first, then iMessages.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit