Pande_AU
Level 4: Private Eye

iPhone 11 Reception Issues

Since updating to the iPhone 11 PRO from the XS I've faced countless call drop outs.

I've tried everything from obtaining a new sim card going down the eSIM route, resetting Network Settings, Restoring my phone
all to no avail.
Is anyone else experiencing these issues and resolved it??

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
90 REPLIES 90
IvanS
Support Team
Support Team

Re: iPhone 11 Reception Issues

Hi @Pande_AU,

Appreciate the concern with your new iPhone 11 Pro having reception issues. 

Are you finding this is happening in quite a few different areas or only at home? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

-neo
Level 1: Cadet

I too am experiencing the same issue. Will be talking for 15-20mins and then the call will just drop out. And I only realise roughly after 10 seconds when a beep sounds.

Doesn’t appear to be in any particular area. It seems more apparent when I’m on an extended phone call. I too was using iPhone XS 512GB and upgraded to iPhone 11 pro max 512GB. Both my iPhone were running with the latest iOS version.

ProfessorPhone
Level 23: Superhero

From my professional experience with 2 phone manufacturers and a major network, if your previous handset did not have these issues,it is most likely the actual handset.

Are you sure that other handsets in the same area can sustain phone calls?

Periodically, all networks retune their network to account for the insertion of new cells, and sometimes what was a strong signal area becomes weaker on the edge of a cell.

Also, if this had happened on your previous handset and currently happens with other handsets apart from yours, the issue you describe can be an intermittent  background interference.

It won't be an actual sim problem.

So, IF the problem is definitely isolated to your new handset and not others in different areas, it points to a handset issue.

The quickest way is making an online appointment at an Apple Genius bar, where they can resolve it on the spot, most  likely by replacing the handset,   or taking the phone to a Telstra store who will sent it off for inspection and repair/replacement.   This is on the basis that the phone has not been dropped, damaged or suffered fluid ingress.

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Attheback
Level 2: Rookie

Same issue here- all different places. The calls just drop out. Only an issue since getting my new iPhone. Is it an apple issue or a Telstra issue?

Alexanderjoseph

I think it’s an Apple issue, I have hunted out a few threads on this All with the same issues. I’ve tried everything starting with a new sim then went into Apple and they troubleshooted all options with no avail! They ended up replacing my phone, however still the same issue. I haven’t gone back to Apple. I’m hoping that Apple will release an update that fixes the issue 

BearP

I have two iPhone 11 Pros bought a week apart from two different stores. Telstra SIM. Have come from an XS. Both are experiencing identical issues; call drop outs, sudden loss of cellular signal, weak / no 4g where the XS held signal.

Running 13.1.2. I have tried resetting network settings, setting up as a new phone from scratch etc, and it hasn't helped.

I am hoping a firmware update will solve it as I don't want to go through the grief of swapping out two phones.

Mad_Bomberfan

So what is the solution?  You've not responded since your initial question.  I am having issues and I am very dissatisfied with my new handset.  Do you recommend that I return it to the Telstra Shop for a refund?  It's not an option to not have a correctly functioning phone.

DingoDan
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Mad_Bomberfan,

I do have the following troubleshooting steps that can be used on the handset to see if this can be improved at 

https://tel.st/lvl69

If these don't improve the experience at all then it is recommended you have the handset taken into a store for further evaluation. If needed they will have this sent away to the national Reaor Cantre for further testing and possible repair/replacement. You can get the details for the stores in your area via 

https://tel.st/lblr6

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

AJK2020

Same issues also experienced with my 11 Pro - call drop outs, messages not being received, poor reception quality no matter where I am. 

Turning the phone on and off helps initially but not for long. Is not a properly functioning phone for me at present - troubleshooting to date has not helped the issue.

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

It is a global issue and is being caused by Apple's release of the ultra buggy iOS 13.1.2

There are numerous articles from around the world, reporting on this fault.

The only solution is to wait for Apple to fix the problem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
ta55-00

I’m having exactly the same issue. No mobile data coverage and constantly having to reset phone to reconnect to data. This only lasts temporarily before being unable to connect again. 

Cannulator
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Why do phones need to be sent away? You may as well put up with the problem than have your phone gone to a third party.

Using tech everyday in prehospital emergency health.
MrInspector

Im the same.  Each call received or made by me anywhere around Melbourne drops out after a few minutes.  Today so far, it has dropped out 9 times. New Iphone Pro Max.

DannyTTT

Ive had constant call and data issues woth my Iphone 11 pro.

Random dropouts across Melbourne and Sydney. 

very similar to the issues I had with my iPhone XS max for like four months.

I have changed my Sim card, Updating my phone, Reset the network settings a number of times.

very very disappointed!

MattyC
Support Team
Support Team

Disappointing, Danny. Have you been in store to have this assessed at all? I'd like to know the team have taken a look. - Matthew. 

Jamiewright
Level 3: Gumshoe

Don’t bother your wasting your time. It’s an issue with the crappy Apple hardware or buggy iOS update. It’s reported globally with lots of different carriers and replacing will not help. Your better off getting an older iPhone XS or XR and sticking to iOS 12.  I had an iPhone 7 Plus for business and Nokia 6.1 for personal and never had an issue. Got iPhone 11, connected one sim to esim and other was left as nano and had nothing but problems. Calls drop randomly

@MattyC wrote:

Disappointing, Danny. Have you been in store to have this assessed at all? I'd like to know the team have taken a look. - Matthew. 

, signal goes from 3 bars to none, can’t get internet and have to reboot phone, txts take 45 minutes to come through blah blah blah. Quality apple products there folks. Good luck!

The_Fly

Correct.  I have downloaded the latest iOS version, and my local Telstra shop replaced my SIM.  Neither resolved the problem.

I took my phone in on Saturday, for the third time now, and the store manager created a complaint for me and advised that a case manager would be assigned.  He couldn't get me out of the shop quickly enough.  And here's the thing: he also stated that they could not refund my money as its not their product!  That's complete BS.  If you take my money then it IS your product my friend.  Under consumer law you cannot pass the buck to the manufacturer.  The retailer is responsible for the remedy.

Later he rang me back and asked me to go in and have an e-SIM installed, whatever that is, instead of the conventional SIM.  I will do this during the week, and if it doesn't work this time then I will be demanding a refund.  It's a major problem if your phone cannot make or receive calls or send SMS and it's clearly not fit for the purpose.  They will probably try to send it away for 'testing' but they have stated to me that it's a software problem, which everyone knows.  Sending it away is just stalling and hoping that Apple finally resolve the software issue.  They've had enough time to remedy the problem as Apple have been throwing failed updates at us for a month now.  I currently have my SIM in my old 8 so my 11 is currently no more than an undersized iPad.

Know your rights people.

Attheback

I have an esim- it’s still a problem 

Cannulator
Level 5: Eagle Eye

I have a 7plus and it is just as much a problem since the iOS 13 upgrade as it is for the current batch of phones. I visited the Telstra shop yesterday and the only option of sending it away to a third party tag he’s not going to be my solution. The store person said that  if they can’t fix it it’ll be going off to Apple anyway, so I may as well visiting the Apple Store tomorrow and still have the phone looked at even though I know it’s an iOS 13 issue. If it gets me a new phone then at least I get a brand-new battery. So there has to be some bonus until Apple sorts out this OS. It’s a pain on top of the regular Telstra caused drop outs and sim failures over the time have had the phones. The shuffling of blame between Telstra, other carriers and Apple is lazy.

Using tech everyday in prehospital emergency health.
Jupiter

It would be classified as a minor problem under the ACL as the phone works most of the time. Therefore Telstra is able to require that it be sent away for assessment first.

People should be hounding Apple with claims for the rectification. That is the only way that they will get the message that they actually need to fix the problem. Everybody who is having an issue should be lodging a complaint with Apple support and going in to Apple Stores demanding it be fixed on the spot. Only that will get the message across to them.

iOS13 - unlucky for iPhone users.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
JW78

I’m experiencing the same issue. So many drop outs. Is this a software issue or hardware? I’m wondering on whether I need to take this phone back. 

Jupiter

It's a software issue. iOS 13 is the cause and Apple so far have failed to be able to fix the problem.

The_Fly

Yours might, but mine was not working. And the one time that I was able to make a call in the past week it dropped out and then repeatedly failed, and people were unable to phone or SMS me.  That's a fairly major problem if you can't use your phone...as a phone. I had my old 8 in use on the weekend without any problems.  Stuffed if I'll be updating to ios 13 on that one any time soon in case I need to pull the pin on my 11.  The latest attempt on it today was an e-SIM.  So far so good, but we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Jupiter

The only Apple that I have in my house are the eating kind. Never been a great fan of the electronic variety.

I just keep an eye on issues so that I can help out where necessary.

Pande_AU

EVERYWHERE.. 

Pande_AU

This is a known issue with Telstra and the iPhone 11'S 

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/35q48kw3

I am still continuing to have dropped calls 

I've swapped my iPhone 11 Pro @ the Apple Store 3 times. 

Pande_AU

Same thing is happening to me its an issue with the iPhone 11 and 4G Calls. 

I've updated to the latest firmware 13.1.3 and the issue is still occurring. 

Pande_AU

Hi Professorphone 

I've swapped my iPhone 11 Pro 3 times @ the Apple Store-this issue is a 4G issue with Telstra

as per this forum a lot of people are experiencing the same issue as I am 

Pande_AU

I am starting to think its an issue with 4G and the iPhone 11. 

Pande_AU

I am on my 3rd iPhone 11 Pro and the issue still occurs. 

Pande_AU

sorry for the late reply-NO solution as of yet-Call dropouts are still continuing. 

Pande_AU

Hi Dingo Dan

I've swapped my iPhone 11 PRO 3 times @ the Apple Store this issue NEEDS to be fixed

and as per this forum 

The issue is massive with a lot of customer's experiencing the same issue(s) 

Pande_AU

I've had 2 Nano Sim's and an eSIM-Issue still occurs. 

Pande_AU

I am starting to lose patience.... 

Jupiter

You're complaining in the wrong spot. All complaints should be directed at the source of the problem - Apple. There is nothing that Telstra, or anyone else on this forum can do to fix the problem. 

The_Fly

II had an esim put in yesterday.  Was OK for a while but no good today.  Going back to the Telstra shop tomorrow for the FIFTH time and am going to lose my **bleep**.  This is beyond a joke.

The_Fly

The retailer who sold the product can't refuse to help you by sending you to the manufacturer or importer.

Jupiter

If the latest reports are correct, the next planned update may only make things worse (and still won't fix the current problems).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/10/20/apple-ios-13-1-3-u1-ultra-wideband-failure-iphon...

Now for the complex part. If you are currently using a phone that came preinstalled with iOS 13, then I believe (personal opinion) that Telstra should be accepting returns at this stage and returning the devices to Apple as failed devices (not as devices that need to be repaired, as Apple obviously can't seem to do that). For those devices that upgraded to iOS 13, then Apple should be providing recompense as they have caused the problem completely independently.

But irrelevant of that. Every iPhone user who is having problems with call functionality should give Apple Support a call on 1300 321 456 make them aware of how widespread the problem is. At the moment, they appear to have their heads buried in the sand.

btw, I've tweeted Andy Penn about the issue, so let's see if we can get a response (or at least some pressure from Telstra on to Apple).

Pande_AU

Returning the iPhone to Apple does not resolve the issue-I've returned my iPhone 11 Pro to Apple 3 times and the issue still occurs. 

Holzy17

I’m experiencing the same issues, drops out on every call after 5 minutes. Poor excuse for a phone 😡

Marky878787

I have the same issue on the Telstra network, the same route to work, iPhoneX was rock solid, iPhone 11 pro MAX drops calls (4G LTE) all the way to work (on iOS 13.1.3).... unbelievable. so angry, will probably return the phone and go back to my iPhone X.

Jupiter

Just don't update it to iOS 13, leave it on 12.

ecky
Level 3: Gumshoe

@Marky878787 wrote:

I have the same issue on the Telstra network, the same route to work, iPhoneX was rock solid, iPhone 11 pro MAX drops calls (4G LTE) all the way to work (on iOS 13.1.3).... unbelievable. so angry, will probably return the phone and go back to my iPhone X.

Maybe give the beta a try. Everyone I know who has download has had the issue fully resolved. It only takes a couple of mins to do and does not require any technical know-how.

You can download 13.2 now via Apple Beta Software program

https://beta.apple.com/
Loading the Beta is an over the air update so does not lose your phone settings.
To load 13.2 public beta:
-Ensure your handset is backed up.
-You will need to know your apple username and password to use.
-On your iPhone simply click on the link below and log in.
-Once logged in follow the instructions on the IOS Tab.
https://beta.apple.com/

Once 13.2 release is generally available then:
To stop receiving the iOS public betas, remove the iOS Beta Software Profile.
-Go to Settings > General > Profiles and tap the iOS Beta Software Profile that appears

Give it a try and report back if the issue is gone

Pande_AU

13.2 is 7 days away I’ll hold out and wait for it and hopefully the reception issue will be done with 

PM-69

yes i am also having lots of dropout on calls. Losing connections. Phone won't start up after shutting it down. 

totally disappointed  with the phone. only got it cos my iphone 8 slowed down after firmware update and was annoying me. 

PM-69

Forgot to add since the firmware upgrade Siri always gets dumber and now has an attitude as well. you go hey siri and she reply's uh huh....

Pande_AU

iOS 13.2 released this morning-fingers crossed that the issue is fixed! 

Jupiter

Don't forget to restart the phone manually again once the update is complete.

NB84

Hi All, 

I have the same issues since I changed to iPhone 11 Max Pro! I was using Samsung prior to this change and never had any issues like I do now. 

I have done all set up, rest, changing sim card, etc (you name it) up to replacing the phone but the issue is still there. If it won't fix for next few weeks then I will consider different approach to Telstra as so far everything has been failed. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit