James_1234
Level 2: Rookie

Iphone 11 switching from 4g to 3g when make a call!

Can anyone help as telstra chat have nooo idea!

all of a sudden....when i make a call and have plenty of 4g bars its switching down to 3g !!

only when i make a call...

then after like 25seconds after the call its goes back to 4g.

Settings are correct: mobile data options > voice and data is set at: 4G, voLTE on.

no ideaaa whats going on but telstra claim there are no 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
James_1234

Re: Iphone 11 switching from 4g to 3g when make a call!

@James_1234 wrote:

Can anyone help as telstra chat have nooo idea!

all of a sudden....when i make a call and have plenty of 4g bars its switching down to 3g !!

only when i make a call...

then after like 25seconds after the call its goes back to 4g.

Settings are correct: mobile data options > voice and data is set at: 4G, voLTE on.

no ideaaa whats going on but telstra claim there are no 

Telstra claim there is no network outage yet my wifes samsung is doing the same damm thing!!

Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

That behavior would indicate that VoLTE isn't working in your area at the moment. 

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
James_1234

Thanks for the reply but i dont think it's that.

It was never doing this before only 2 days ago

Jupiter

Yes, that is what the word "moment" in my response indicates, that it is not working now, it may have been working, but it isn't at the "moment".

There could be a problem with the 700MHz LTE transmitter on your nearby tower. That would cause VoLTE to fail. If the other LTE transmitter frequencies were still working, that you allow you to use 4G data, but not VoLTE.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
James_1234

Ok yes i get you but that doesnt explain the same issue happening some 10km away at work also ! 

James_1234

Not good enough telstra im lodging a tio complaint today and telstra can pay for this until its working

Jupiter

Which model Samsung has your wife got?

You need to lodge a complaint with Telstra first before the TIO will look at it. And there is nothing that Telstra will pay for as you can still make and receive calls, so you technically haven't lost core functionality.

https://telstra.com.au/complaints

JT42
Level 1: Cadet

The same thing has been happening to me for over a week, nearly every call.  It cuts out with "this call cannot be connected please try the number again".  I notice it's when it switches from 4G to 3G.    Settings are 4G, VoLTE on so why is switching back to 3G when VoLTE on means it shouldn't?

James_1234

Exactly!! Whyyy is it switching!! Ill tell u why i think...telstra told me they have de-commissioned there 3G network and 100% this is causing issues for them.

no-one has contacted me to help other than when i complained so i lodged a TIO (telecommunications industry ombudsman) formal complaint!

lets see them jump now!!

Jupiter

The 3G network isn't getting decomissioned until mid-2024, so that has nothing to do with the problems that you are experiencing.

Check the 4G settings on your phone. For VoLTE to work, it needs to be set to 4G voice and data (mind you, with the current version of iOS, it will cause your calls to fail when trying to use VoLTE anyway). Until Apple fixes iOS 13, you are better off switching off the VoLTE (and 4G voice option).

James_1234

Thats what telstra told me they said 3g not around anymore so how could i be dropping to 3g (that was there words!)

i changed to 4 g volte on or off makes no difference does same damm thing

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit