Level 2: Rookie

iPhone 12 Pro 5G Network

Answered

I live in Perth and I live in an area that Telstra says has 5G and I work in another area that Telstra also says has 5G. However I don’t seem to get any 5G signal, I have the 5G settings turned on and I don’t have an active Esim plan and I am on an eligible plan. I contacted Telstra and they stated that the network was undergoing maintenance and was scheduled for completion at 7pm last Sunday. Is there something else I’m missing to get 5G working on the iPhone 12 Pro? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution

Re: iPhone 12 Pro 5G Network

I went into the Telstra city store today and they have a 5G cell in the shop. The tech was able to solve the issue, my plan needed resetting as the 5G activation code wasn’t working correctly. He set up exactly the same plan and the issue resolved immediately. I spoke to someone at Apple and they said a few people have been having this issue. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 1: Cadet

I'm in the same boat. Have 2 iPhone 12 Pro's and no 5G working on either.

Submitted a chat request for info, no answer. Went to Telstra store in Subi, they have no idea why it doesn't work. My plan has 5G included, I asked if a new SIM may help, but they said they don't think it would.

Look forward to some actual help Telstra and a solution.

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Check your location for Towers near you at https://rfnsa.com.au

If the 5G symbol is blue, then the transmitter is not yet operational.

You can check the 5G bands that are being used as well. Most of Perth appears to be using 3500MHz (n78) which is supported but has quite a short range.

You may also need to check your iPhone to make sure that the second SIM is disabled, otherwise 5G is not supported.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Thanks for the advice and the link. I checked and there is a tower about 600m from where I live and another just next to my work, the 5G logos are both black. 
I double checked and I have no second sim, I spoke to the Telstra store and they had no idea about 5G. 

I messaged Telstra and they have stated there is ongoing maintenance in the area.

“Thanks for your patience. I was able to identify an outage report for 3g, 4g, and 5g on your area. Estimated time of repair is 01/11/2020 around 7PM. Apologies as our team is still working for the fix.” 

When I contacted Telstra last week this is what they told me except the end date was 7pm on the 18/10/20. 

So not sure if this is a standard response if they don’t know the answer. 

Accepted Solution

I went into the Telstra city store today and they have a 5G cell in the shop. The tech was able to solve the issue, my plan needed resetting as the 5G activation code wasn’t working correctly. He set up exactly the same plan and the issue resolved immediately. I spoke to someone at Apple and they said a few people have been having this issue. 

View solution in original post

Thanks Raptor1!

With your post l replied to the stupid text support service now in place with Telstra and asked them to reset my 5G. Once that was done all worked.

That said, l think it was up to around 20 odd hrs over text service to get to that point.

The first day saying there is an outage in the area (and once the 5G was re-enabled 5G worked even though they said an outage in the area). Continuing on they kept asking to reset network settings, eject sim etc all without resetting the 5G service

Telstra, please listen!! Your service has gone down hill (again) now that it is OS and you can't talk to anyone. You are wasting everyone's time. Please make sure your support people know the product and don't just blame the end user or their equipment.

Been in IT Infrastructure for over 25 years running Service Desks and ISP's, it really isn't hard to have great customer service but knowing your product.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit