Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

iPhone 4s camera won't focus

Answered

So I got an iPhone 4S just before Christmas last year and recently (within the last few months) I've noticed that the camera won't focus properly. I can tap the screen and it'll look like its focusing but when I review the photos later it'll all be slightly out of focus. I've done as much research as someone with the internet can do and there seems to be two schools of thought with this - some people seem to think its a software problem because it happened when they updated to 5.1 (my current iOS) and some people think it's a hardware problem caused by a slipping lens and can be temporarily fixed by tapping the camera gently while it's trying to focus. I've tried this with no avail and I'm trying to update my iOS now (keep running in to a 3194 error, but that's another issue), but I was wondering if anyone else had encountered this problem and potentially knows how to fix it? I've read that if it is a hardware problem the only way to permanantly fix it is to get the camera replaced by Apple - does anyone know how I would go about organising this too?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 9: Captain
Accepted Solution

Re: iPhone 4s camera won't focus

if that didn't fix it, you probably have a fault with the camera. if its under warranty and not liquid or physically damaged, get any store to send it away as a repair request, and in the intermim organise a phone, or most stores can issue loan devices.

Don't forget to create a backup a full backup with i cloud and your PC itunes before doing this, as all information will be lost

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am both a Telstra Customer and a Telstra Employee.
Some of my views may not represent Telstra and are my personal opinion only. I also participate in my own time.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 21: Augmented

other than tapping the lens what have you tried so far ?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Highlighted

I managed to update it to the latest iOS and that didn't fix it like some people have said, so other than that and tapping the lens while focusing I haven't tried anything else. I don't really know what else to try to be honest.

Highlighted
Level 9: Captain
Accepted Solution

if that didn't fix it, you probably have a fault with the camera. if its under warranty and not liquid or physically damaged, get any store to send it away as a repair request, and in the intermim organise a phone, or most stores can issue loan devices.

Don't forget to create a backup a full backup with i cloud and your PC itunes before doing this, as all information will be lost

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am both a Telstra Customer and a Telstra Employee.
Some of my views may not represent Telstra and are my personal opinion only. I also participate in my own time.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks Tron. I ended up taking it in to an Apple store just to see what they thought it might be - they said it was a hardware fault and replaced it with a new phone on the spot. Problem solved!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit