GeneralP
Level 2: Rookie

iPhone 4S email relay problem sending

Answered
I am having problems sending emails from my iPhone. I have made sure that I have the outgoing email set to mail.bigpond.com and the ssl is off and the server port is 25. It will only work sending an email when on the 3G network in Oz. it will not send on wi-fi in Oz nor will it overseas whilst connected to wi-fi Networks. Any solutions?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jokiin
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: iPhone 4S email relay problem sending

ok, makes more sense that the iPad is also not working then, if your domain email uses the ISP's smtp server then it will only work if they allowed SSL or similar secured sessions from external networks, perhaps an account setting they need to change to allow this, most ISP's do restrict mail to their own networks though to stop unauthorised relaying, spammers etc so don't be surprised if this turns out to not be an option

you would still be able to receive email and not that it's an elegant solution but check with the ISP if they have some type of webmail access for your accounts, most do have something like this which would allow you to login to a web based interface and send email, a bit clunky but workable if it's for the short term

if this is the case that they don't allow sending outside of their own network then you would do better to think about hosting your email elsewhere, your domain and email hosting do not need to be handled by the same provider, they would be well aware of this and would possibly be able to offer you the help you need to point your MX records (the bit to do with your mail server) at an alternate provider, I have 20 or so domains that I host all on the one server, the email for each are all handled separately and by a few different providers, there are plenty of options out there for dealing with email, perhaps not something you want to deal with whilst overseas so hopefully you can come up with a short term solution for the interim

post back with any questions if you need further help
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
GeneralP

Forgot to add that my iPhone is thru Telstra and my a email account thru an ISP provider that basically bundles Telstra
Lathania

You'll need to provide the actual domain name (part after the @ symbol) for us to provide the best help Smiley Happy

Lathania

@GeneralP wrote:
Forgot to add that my iPhone is thru Telstra and my a email account thru an ISP provider that basically bundles Telstra

Your provider most likely does not allow sending from outside of their own (and Telstra's) infrastructure, if they don't support an SSL connection then this is going to be an ongoing problem, you could manage the email account through a 3rd party service like Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo etc, they can collect your email and send on behalf of and provide their own SMTP servers and secure connections that will work on anyone's connection, I'm not big fan of ISP email accounts when you need to use them in a mobile situation as most are not suitable due to the restrictions that they need to have in place to avoid spam etc

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@GeneralP wrote:

@Your supplier may resell Telstra ADSL, however your email account is managed directly with that ISP. Please provide the last part of your email address (the part after the @ symbol) and we can help

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

GeneralP

Hi B, Not sure if I should give the full email address as it belongs to a private company but the domain is hosted with the same ISP provider and I spoke to them before leaving Oz when I discovered the problem (the afternoon before leaving) and they advised that all should be okay once it had the mail.bigpond details entered. It was only later that night that I found it only worked if on 3G but not on Wi-fi. The domain which is a .com.au has no restrictions that we are aware of. Interestingly this afternoon I have tried again and the message I get is that the recipients email address was rejected by the server. I tried again for a different email and the message states that the sender address is rejected by the server. My husband has an iPad with him and operating off the same domain name has absolutely no problems sending emails via wi-fi Hope this further info can help. Thanks for trying to help!!
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@GeneralP wrote:
Hi B, Not sure if I should give the full email address as it belongs to a private company but the domain is hosted with the same ISP provider and I spoke to them before leaving Oz when I discovered the problem (the afternoon before leaving) and they advised that all should be okay once it had the mail.bigpond details entered. It was only later that night that I found it only worked if on 3G but not on Wi-fi. The domain which is a .com.au has no restrictions that we are aware of. Interestingly this afternoon I have tried again and the message I get is that the recipients email address was rejected by the server. I tried again for a different email and the message states that the sender address is rejected by the server. My husband has an iPad with him and operating off the same domain name has absolutely no problems sending emails via wi-fi Hope this further info can help. Thanks for trying to help!!

I need to know the full part of the end of the email address to help you. For example, if your email address is GeneralP@example.com.au I need you to give me the example.com.au part of the email address.

If you don't give us that information, I can't give you the settings to put into your device. Your email setup is dependant on the person who manages the email account (Your ISP) and not where your internet comes from.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

jokiin

have you tried using ssl?
jokiin

actually re-reading your last reply I see you have your own domain name registered, and it is hosted by your ISP, the name is not all that relevant in the scheme of things, how you normally access mail when home might be though

if your provider has advised you to use Bigpond's mail server on your phone that would seem to suggest that they don't allow sending mail outside of their own network, otherwise you could just use the settings as per normal but use SSL to still access their network

What is the normal outgoing server you were meant to use with your domain email, does it reflect your own domain name or the ISP providers details, eg was the outgoing details something like smtp.yourdomainname.com.au or was it like smtp.yourisp.com.au etc?

if they don't provide a proper hosted email service that offers SSL access for sending outside of their own network then it might not be the ideal solution for you

that said though if your husband has an iPad and email for the same domain is working fine on that from the same location then have a careful look at the settings compared to your iPhone as there is no difference between the email client on an iPad and an iPhone, if his works for the same domain and at the same locations that you are at then that would suggest you have something set incorrectly on your iPhone

lastly you mentioned leaving oz and having tried since and working via 3G but not WiFi, if you are out of the country and use 3G to check email you can very quickly run up a huge data roaming bill, casual rate is $15 per mb, have a look at the roaming packs if this is what you need to do as they are much cheaper
GeneralP

Hi, Sorry but I just checked my husbands iPad and all the emails he thought were sent have not been sent so I gave you all wrong info. I have tried SSL both on and off and no better. The inbound mail server uses the smtp address of the ISP provider. Given all your feedback I have now emailed the ISP provider using a BB which, fortunately, we also have with us. Thanks for the reminder about the horrific international charges. So far we have not connected to the local phone networks as all our hotels have really good wi-fi access which is free. Only shame is I can't send emails via wi-fi either here or in Oz. I will post a note to advise what I get back from the ISP provider who also hosts the domain and manages the email accounts. Life used to be so simple........ Smiley Happy
jokiin
Accepted Solution

ok, makes more sense that the iPad is also not working then, if your domain email uses the ISP's smtp server then it will only work if they allowed SSL or similar secured sessions from external networks, perhaps an account setting they need to change to allow this, most ISP's do restrict mail to their own networks though to stop unauthorised relaying, spammers etc so don't be surprised if this turns out to not be an option

you would still be able to receive email and not that it's an elegant solution but check with the ISP if they have some type of webmail access for your accounts, most do have something like this which would allow you to login to a web based interface and send email, a bit clunky but workable if it's for the short term

if this is the case that they don't allow sending outside of their own network then you would do better to think about hosting your email elsewhere, your domain and email hosting do not need to be handled by the same provider, they would be well aware of this and would possibly be able to offer you the help you need to point your MX records (the bit to do with your mail server) at an alternate provider, I have 20 or so domains that I host all on the one server, the email for each are all handled separately and by a few different providers, there are plenty of options out there for dealing with email, perhaps not something you want to deal with whilst overseas so hopefully you can come up with a short term solution for the interim

post back with any questions if you need further help

View solution in original post

GeneralP

Hi, Thank you for all your info and yes I will resolve on return as ISP has basically now said the same things. I have for the first time tried to send via the web mail account and Murphy's Law it is giving an error. They are looking into it!!! Thanks again.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit