Highlighted
Level 5: Eagle Eye

iPhone 5 Activation - Transfer of Telstra Prepaid number to new Postpaid contract

I am currently a Telstra prepaid mobile customer, and I have preordered the iPhone 5, which I received last Friday morning.

I called to activate my new iPhone 5 with its new nano SIM, and I was assured that I can keep my current prepaid number by bringing it over to this new postpaid 24-month contract. I was told that activation of my new service should take no longer than 24 hours.

24 hours later, on Saturday morning, I called the Activations team again at 1800 629 633 to follow up on my activation. I was told by the CSO that there was an "error" for my request, and he assured me that he will resolve the issue within 2 hours. He promised to call me back in 1-2 hours to let me know how the activation progress has been going, but unfortunately, he did not called.

On Saturday night, I decided to give the Activations team a call again to follow up on my activation request. Again, the CSO informed me about an "error" for my activation request and she would recitfy the issue for me. She have me on hold until she manages to recitfy the issue, but in the end, she could not rectify it herself. She told me that the same issue keeps coming up, and she would have to let me go, because it would take too long.

So, a long story short, I am in my 36th hour and counting in waiting for my iPhone 5 service to be activated. And, I am very surprised that no one in the Activations team is competent enough to attend to this issue, which I believe isn't uncommon. Is it really that challenging to have a Telstra prepaid number brought over to a postpaid account? 

I really hope a Telstra representative here is able to help me sort this issue out, because this level of service provided is really to me the worst experience I have yet with Telstra as all my previous experiences had been wonderful.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Pre paid Nano Sim Starter kit for the iPhone 5

Hello,

i'm camming in novembre in Australia for 2 months.

I'm going to have an iphone 5 and i want to know if Telestra are going to sell à pre paid Nano Sim Starter kit to put the Nano Sim in my iPhone 5 and to share the connexion form my iphone 5 to my laptop computer ?

Also if oyu are going to sell the pre paid Nano Sim for the iphone 5, is the Telestra Network is 4G ?

Thank you.

Olivier Williams

Highlighted
Level 17: Bureau Chief

Re: Pre paid Nano Sim Starter kit for the iPhone 5

@olimac wrote:

Hello,

i want to know if Telestra are going to sell à pre paid Nano Sim Starter kit?

Also if oyu are going to sell the pre paid Nano Sim for the iphone 5, is the Telestra Network is 4G ?

Thank you.

Olivier Williams

I'm sure that Telstra will (eventually) have pre-paid nano sims, but I believe there is no actual "confirmation" on this yet.

Yes, the Telstra network is 4G in certain* areas. You can view the coverage maps here.

*Customers should be aware that the Telstra mobile coverage maps displayed have been created using tools that predict the likely areas of coverage. Not every particular location within the identified coverage areas has been individually tested for coverage. This means that while the footprint of coverage outlined on the maps is generally accurate, there will be specific areas described as being within a coverage area where a customer's device will not work.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Juzman, actually, it has been confirmed that we will be selling a Nano Sim Pre-Paid Starter kit :-)

Olimac, from the  21 September 2012, you can buy this from our Pre-Paid online mobile shop or a Telstra retail store. 
The Pre-Paid Nano SIM Starter Kit for iPhone 5 comes loaded with $30 credit to use within 30 days

Hope this helps :-)

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

That's awesome Steph.
Im looking at getting the iPhone 5 outright.
As ive got Telstra prepaid now.
Can I go into a Telstra store & get a nano sim
and keep my current number??
Thanks Peter
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Purplehaze,

That shouldn't be a problem at all :-)

We just replace the existing SIM card with the Nano SIM :-)

You won't need one of the Starter Kits though, you'll just be able to get a new SIM at a Telstra Store.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Re: iPhone 5 Activation - Transfer of Telstra Prepaid number to new Postpaid contract

Go to the Telecommunications ombudsman - I know I am! (been without service for over 40 hours).
Highlighted
Level 4: Private Eye

Re: iPhone 5 Activation - Transfer of Telstra Prepaid number to new Postpaid contract

@hengliang

The system that is used for this is a touchy system. For the most part it works fine but occasionally you will run into errors. Errors when porting numbers are up the top of the list. Depending on the age of your old account, the name and DOB and if the system wants to play nice or not ports are no stranger to error messages. Once the port is submitted for the number change there is nothing that anyone can do until it either 'Completes' or 'fails' . While it is in a pending status there is no option to cancel. This may be the problem. Once the order either goes through or fails they can then action it. Porting a number is a simple process so you can be assured they know what they're doing, but if the system doesn't want to play along and they have to find a work around then these things take time. It is still no excuse for you not receiving a call back. My suggestion for this is that as soon as you call up record the name of who you are speaking to with the date and time. If they offer you a call back and do not honour it they can get in a lot of trouble from their end.

Hope this has helped.
Highlighted

Hi,

Now the iPhone 5 is on sale, where i can find on Telestra website the Pre Paid Nano Sim Starter kit ?

Also can you confirm me that if i put the Nano Sim in my iphone 5 i can share the connection form my iPhone 5 to my laptop computer (Tethering) ?

Highlighted

I'm in the exact same situation and everytime i call back i get a different story. 

Its been 48 hours since i "sucsessfully" activated my post paid sim and still no iphone 5 working.

Have lodged a complaint because im not getting anywhere.

Ombudsman is next!

Highlighted

I received a call from Telstra today from the Live Chat 24x7 CSO (Samantha from Adelaide), who promised to call me back today. I was glad she returned my call.

However, upon further investigation of my case, she could not resolve the issue and she has to escalate the issue to "the back end". That is disappointing.

So I'm in my 76th hour and counting since my first call to get my service activated.
Highlighted

120 hours and counting. still waiting for my Telstra prepaid to be transferred over postpaid for activation.

my temporary solution - cut my micro SIM down. it works. at least I can use my iPhone 5 now.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit