Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

iPhone 5 online preorder ?

Hi guys - I have it on good authority (I think?) that Telstra will offer the iPhone 5 for online preorder from tomorrow 14 September.

Can anyone confirm this?

I'd like to secure a phone but can't be bothered lining up in a store. Thanks.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted

Pre-orders for iphone 5

Hi my contract is ending with Optus in the next week or so. I am interested in migrating to Telstra. Will you be offering pre-orders for iphone 5 once announced? I am assuming the rumors of Sep is true.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Ppre-orders for iphone 5

Hi pingheng & welcome to CrowdSupport.

I dont have any information about pre-orders or the like yet however you can register your details at http://www.telstra.com.au/eoi/keep-informed/  so that when information is released you will be some of the first to know.

Cheers,

Ben B
Telstra Digital Sales & Service

Have you checked out the Community Guidelines or the Community Knowledge Base lately?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

Re: Pre-orders for iphone 5

From all rumors, there's one info uniform- Apple will be organizing a keynote type event on September 12th for the release of iPhone 5 and iPad Mini. Based on previous trends, they'll start pre-orders in the states from the next day itself. Australia, fortunately, has been one of the first countries outside US to be on the release list of new Apple Handsets (usually within a month of announcement); so you can  really expect to get your hands on the iPhone 5 around end-sept/early oct.

Highlighted
Level 11: Detective

I hope that if you do offer pre-orders for the iPhone 5, you'll handle it much better than you did for the iPhone 4S (someone had to say it, lol).
Level 2: Rookie

Will the iPhone 5 be able to be pre-ordered through Telstra after the release date announcement?

And if so, can it be pre-ordered on a plan or only through outright handset purchase?

I know that obviously there won't be any solid details yet, as technically we "don't even know if the iPhone 5 really will be announced on the 12th", but with past releases such as the iPhone 4/4s how did preordering, if that's possible through a Telstra plan, work? Or does it not really work like that and we'll have to go in store on the day and hope we can get one?

Anyone's insight into this would be really appreciated!

Highlighted
Community Alumni (Retired)

Re: Will the iPhone 5 be able to be pre-ordered through Telstra after the release date announcement?

There were pre-orders with the last iPhone, and it was a nightmare (to put it bluntly). I spent a good chunk of my time fielding questions on CrowdSupport about the way it went down.

I'm expecting that there will be pre-orders this time, but I'm expecting that those orders will get actioned appropriately, and that we not have a repeat of last time Smiley Happy

If you want your phone on launch day, best bet would be to go to a Telstra Store.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted

Re: Will the iPhone 5 be able to be pre-ordered through Telstra after the release date announcement?

So many people who pre ordered didn't get theirs on launch day? Were there pre orders for the monthly plans or did part or all cost of the phone have to be paid upfront? Just trying to figure out what my options will be.

Highlighted

@jhobart wrote:

So many people who pre ordered didn't get theirs on launch day? Were there pre orders for the monthly plans or did part or all cost of the phone have to be paid upfront? Just trying to figure out what my options will be.

Many people who Pre-Ordered last time didn't get their phones at all Smiley Frustrated. I'm trusting that Telstra has learnt from last time.

If you Pre-Order, the phone will be sent out to you on launch day, so it may take a day or 2 to arrive. You wouldn't be able to collect it in-store as an example (going on last approach).

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted

Oh I see, so it might be better to just go instore on the day? Are there normally a ridiculous amount of people going in on the launch day? I live in Tasmania so at least it wouldn't be as bad as Melbourne or Sydney.. One would assume

Highlighted

@jhobart wrote:

Oh I see, so it might be better to just go instore on the day? Are there normally a ridiculous amount of people going in on the launch day? I live in Tasmania so at least it wouldn't be as bad as Melbourne or Sydney.. One would assume

Usually packed, get there a few hours before.... But lets see what happens on Thursday/Friday Smiley Happy

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Highlighted
Level 17: Bureau Chief

@Ben_F wrote:

Usually packed, get there a few hours before.... But lets see what happens on Thursday/Friday Smiley Happy

B.

The iPhone 4 launch here in Townsville wasn't packed at all. I was 7th or 8th in line, out of 12 people. Smiley Tongue

Highlighted

Okay, thanks so much for your help Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Re: iPhone 5 online preorder ?

I doubt it. Apple themselves are offering pre-ordering from tomorrow (http://store.apple.com/au) and in the past we've had more notice before pre-ordering with carriers commenced.

Highlighted

Yeah but can't get iPhone on a Telstra plan from Apple Smiley Happy
Highlighted

True lol, but you can buy it outright and get a nano sim from Telstra and do it that way. I realise what you mean though.

Word is that Telstra may be announcing their plans and pricing on Saturday, so if that's the case, the pre-ordering shouldn't be too far behind that.
Highlighted

I think preorders may be up on Friday. I posted on here but no official confirmation yet Smiley Sad
Highlighted

i went into a telstra shop today to see if they were doing pre order and they said that they weren't going to take names for orders it was just going to be first in first served type thing.I hope that someone can confirm if that is right or not plz.

Highlighted

@suzie82 wrote:

i went into a telstra shop today to see if they were doing pre order and they said that they weren't going to take names for orders it was just going to be first in first served type thing.I hope that someone can confirm if that is right or not plz.

Yep, that would be correct. They wouldn't do it last year either, if you wanted to pre-order, you had to do it online, and it will be the same this year. Obviously there's that much hype that everyone wants one, and each store only gets allocated a certain number of devices, so if they were able to pre-order in store, you could guarantee every device in every store would be allocated before they even went on sale, meaning there'd be none left to actually sell on the day.

If you have to have one on launch day (recommended, once they sell out the first batch it can be a while before they get more in), line up early and hope for the best. You should be able to pre-order online again this year, so if you want to guarantee one, you'll have to keep checking when/if Telstra is offering it, and get in there straight away. Note that there's no guarantee you'll have it on launch day if you pre-order online (in fact you most likely won't), but you will definitely have one reserved for you and it will turn up quick enough.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit