chris545
Level 1: Cadet

iPhone 5 + Telstra = FAILURE

Well I made my pre-order online, transfer my prepaid Telstra number onto a contract with a new 32gb iPhone and today it arrived.  With great anticipation I carefully took it out of the box and put in the new sim card and discovered a scrunched up piece of paper that said to call 1300 131 113 to activate.  Call a number to activate, sound a built old fashioned.

So, having a phone say "SOS only" wasn't really a option, I called.  And waited, and waited and at 59 minutes got a single ring before the engaged tone.

hmmm.  Yeah I was a little pissed.  So I gave it an hour and called back...... After 40 minutes and a few expletives I gave up listening to what can only be described as music to die bye.

I then waited another hour, and thought I'd try a different number, I finally got a human all be it in a land far far away but here's the thing, after 53 minutes he tells me that my phone transfer from prepaid to contract will take 24 hours and that must occur before the phone can be activated.  Seriously?!?! So, I ask for the manager and well I'm still waiting on hold 1 hour and 45 minutes.

All I want is my phone to work, if you couldn't deliver on what I ordered why take my order, why do I even have to call you?  Why can't it be ready when it arrived????

i would like to know where I can send the invoice for my time I have spent on hold for you today.  Perhaps when you send me a bill and I refuse to pay it ill put you on hold for a few hours.

Its disgusting service, so Telstra, make it work and compensate me for my waisted time or come and collect your useless phone and you can still compensate me for your breach of contact.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Drat
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: iPhone 5 + Telstra = FAILURE

All I want is my phone to work, if you couldn't deliver on what I ordered why take my order, why do I even have to call you?  Why can't it be ready when it arrived????

Hang on – what you ordered (and were delivered) and what you want are logically different things. You ordered a product (new iPhone 5 handset) and a (post-paid Telstra Mobile service). You were delivered the physical aspects of it – the handset and the SIM – which put you in the position of being ready to start the activation process, of which the first step is to ring up.

You weren't/aren't actually offered the option, in the consumer telecommunications market, to buy a desired outcome – an example of which would be being able to use your new phone and service today – and that outcome is not what Telstra is contracted to provide. As long as Telstra isn't charging you for the post-paid mobile service until it is fully activated, there is no breach.

Its disgusting service, so Telstra, make it work and compensate me for my waisted time or come and collect your useless phone and you can still compensate me for your breach of contact.

I understand you're frustrated, and trying to express it emphatically, but I'm afraid throwing around terms such as breach of contract, when there is obviously no breach, only makes you look silly instead of earn you sympathy.

Edit: grammar

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Secoa

I also pre ordered a 64 gig iPhone 5 and it arrived this morning. I rang the 1300 number. I waited for 1 and 1/2 hours. I finally got through and they stated the phone will be activated within 4 hours. That was 7 hours ago. I still have status of SOS only. I have an old 3GS with Telstra which still works. I want to be able make a call on my new phone. Please help
hengliang
Level 5: Eagle Eye

I'm on the same boat as you. I was told 24-48 hours.
mrsdhammond
Level 2: Rookie

What I'm loving is they connected and ported my husband's in 30 minutes and I've been waiting over 7 hours now, and we did it at the SAME TIME. MASSIVE FAIL TELSTRA!!!

andrew_thorpe

I ported over from vodafone and it took only 15-20min from end of my activation call with telstra which was around 11:30pm.

Make sure you have turned off the network access (airplane mode) on your old phone. Then cycle the new phone on an off airplane mode every 10min or so. Anyway hope this helps as this is what worked for me.

fangske
Level 2: Rookie

Ok so I ported my Telstra prepaid service today at 3pm and its still hasn't migrated to my phone at 1:30am you guys should chill, the level of demand of this phone is unprecedented, yeah there will be hiccups it's the weekend just relax have a beer and I'm sure the phone will port eventually. Historically Telstra have ported me within the hour at regular times, no need to get your ipanties in a twist.
indyman

Their phone service is non extistent. they ask you  to hold on for a survey at end of your call. Then ask "did your question get ansered yes or no"?? No questions about how long you waited before your call was answered? 

When I finally got to talk to some one I had to upload a song give them my Nano sim card No explain what Iphone 5 I had and 20 mins later I was up and running.

all this was after saving my Iphone 4 to Itunes. then upgrading to IOS 7.0 which is an unbelievable 1.3 Gig upgrade.. then saving this to Itunes. Then uploading all this again to my new Iphone5 which took about 3hrs before I even got to call Telstra to connect my sim!!

NOw they are suggesting that I upgrade my Iphone5 to IOS 7.02.. which again is another 1.3 gig and this time my PC is telling me it's going to take 14 hrs??? to go from 7.00 to 7.02??? what the?? 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit