mv1995
Level 3: Gumshoe

iPhone 5 won't send SMS to contact.

Hi all,<br>Today I experienced a fault with my iPhone 5. I was texting a number and then all of a sudden it'd get to about 90% of the sending bar and it'd sit like that for about a minute, then it'd say 'not delivered' with the red exclamation badge and 'Message Send Failure'. I had full reception, (not LTE but 3G) and because this mobile is Pre-Paid I also had sufficient credit. The number being texted is also a Telstra carrier. I reset the Network settings, turned the phone off and on, and then I reset the phone by holding down the lock and home button. After a while I tried sending the message again multiple times but it still didn't send. I tried once more and after a while it finally sent. However, the receiver told me they received multiple text messages from me when it says I've only sent it once. Their mobile is not an iPhone. I wonder, why did this happen? Could there have been a network overload in the local Telstra tower so it wouldn't send?<br>Thanks to anyone who can help.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
47 REPLIES 47
Victor_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: iPhone 5 won't send SMS to contact.

Hi mv1995

i have sent you a private message in regards to your post. please check your inbox

-Victor

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

badgerchair
Level 1: Cadet

I am having this exact same issue, did you get it fixed? Can you tell me how you fixed it?

badgerchair

Hello???????????????????????????????????

Matt_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi badgerchair,

I'll send you a private message with a form to complete and we can investigate this for you.

-Matt W

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

mv1995
Level 3: Gumshoe

Badgerchair it just fixed itself randomly because the message finally sent but it sent the message multiple times. I'm not sure what went wrong but it hasn't happened since then.
jsimons

I'm having the exact same problem reported here - my iPhone 5 won't send SMS messages to (I think) anyone who doesn't also have an iPhone. Can you please email me the fix?
Thanks
Josh
Matt_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Josh,

We can certainly help with this one. I'll send you a private message with a form to complete so we can capture some of your details and we'll be in touch.

-Matt

Megangoleby

Hi everyone, having the same issue any handy hints
Matt_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Megangoleby,

I'll also send you a private message with a form to complete so we can get to the bottom of your issue.

-Matt 

Mezzyp

I am experiencing the same thing but with an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5 on Vodafone. I've deleted then added the contact again. He can call me and SMS me; I can call him. It pretty much happened overnight. My number isn't blocked.

Does anyone have a solution?
neale_watson

having same issue .. please publish answer (not sure why the answer has to be sent via PM''s)

thanks

Amit5

I too am having the same issues but on the iPhone 5s.
Can receive but can't send sms. Tried the restart phone/network, also changed setting, removed sim. Any other ideas/solution to the problem!
Andasan

Hi Telstra, I've been having the same problem with one number (my Mum's) who is also on Telstra. I'm on IPhone5 with Telstra contract with a number ported from Optus. The other number is on a Telstra contract phone. She can receive texts from other phones, just not mine. She can send me texts but I can't reply successfully. Just upgraded to iOS 7 but that didn't fix the issue.
Thanks
Andy
Ashley
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Andy,

Do the messages send from your phone and just not arrive or do you get an error on your phone when you try to send?

Andasan

Hi Ashley

I get a 'message send error' on my phone.

Andy

ShannonD
Support Team
Support Team

HI Andy,

To confirm, have you only recently changed to Telstra?

I'd suggest to get in touch with our 24x7 mobile assurance team on 132200 so we can investigate why it's giving that error.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Andasan

Hi Shannon

I ported the number to telstra in September 2012. It can send texts to all other numbers except one 0427 number with Telstra.

Andy
Matt_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Andy,

It sounds like it may be an issue with your Mum's handset there. Can you try getting your mum to delete your contact and any other contacts that have your number stored in them. Then try sending a SMS again to test.

-Matt W

Andasan

Thanks Matt, will try this tomorrow when I see my Mum tomorrow.

Merry Christmas!
Andy
Matt_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

No problems Andy,

Merry Christmas to you too!

-Matt W

Al8

What was the solution to this? I am also having a problem with sending an SMS to an overseas contact. It used to work fine on my iPhone4 but since I upgraded to iPhone5s every time I try to send  it says "Not delivered" in red. I can send to local SMSs.

I have already talked to Telstra twice via their online chat and they were quite clueless and I talked to Apple who were more helpful but still couldn't sort it out.

Matt_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi AI8,

Can you please try removing the contact you're having troubles sending to then entering the number in manually and sending it. See how that goes and if it goes through you can then recreate the contact. Sometimes the contacts become corrupt when transferring them across handsets. 

-Matt W

Al8

I have tried that and it didn't work. I have basically done the suggestions about SMSs in this link from Apple: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2755

Given all this trouble I started to look around for another solution and realised I can send overseas SMSs with Skype for a much cheaper rate, so I probably won't bother to keep trying to solve this now.

DanK
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Well I am glad to hear that you have a solution that suits you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

mannit

Hi

I am unable to send SMS to non iphone users from my iphone 5 which has a Telstra pre paid account. The iMessage works but normal SMS does not go out.

Please assist

Mannit

Matt_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Mannit,

That isn't good to hear. Was this working previously? I'd suggest doing a backup and reset via iTunes first to ensure it isn't the handset itself causing the issue. You can also select the option under Settings > Messages > Send as SMS (under the iMessage section) to ensure SMS are being sent to users who don't have iPhones.

-Matt W

Taz5

My iPhone 5, won't send any texts or make any calls but can receive texts and calls, also my 3G won't turn on.. I'm on a plan and have check everything and seems fine... Please help
Matt_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Taz5,

That sounds like the may be an account side issue and I'd strongly recommend contacting our sales/billing team to ensure your service hasn't been barred for some reason.

You can speak with them here: https://livechat.telstra.com/TCOM:ContactUsSmiley SurprisednlineServices

-Matt W

lexmca

I am having the same problem. Only on a few numbers though. Please advise.

TimBartel
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Lexmca,

If you're experiencing the same issue I would recommend following the same advice Matt W has suggested.

Thanks, Tim

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Shayne_V

Same problem as of last night. I turned off the phone and I was able to send the text when I turned the phone back on again. This morning it is happening again. I turned my phone off and on again and I am still unable to send a text. This is on an iPhone 5s that is only a month old, never dropped, always looked after.
Matt_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Shayne_V,

This may have been an intermittent issue with the network in your location. Are you finding that this is happening everywhere you go or just in one particular area?

-Matt W

Louis_S

I seem to have a similar problem... Any chance of the problem being caused by the memory being too full with emails/apps, etc?

Matt_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Louis_S,

You can check how much room is left on your handset in the settings. Please go to Settings > General > About. This page will show you how much space you have left. 

Was this handset working previously with SMS? Are you having problems sending SMS to anyone or just particular people?

-Matt W

Clinton1100

Yeah same deal with me any chance you could fix mine too
Steve_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Clinton1100,

Have you tried the above suggestions of resetting the network settings?

Can you also check that you are running the latest IOS version by going to Settings>General>Software update

Can you confirm if iMessage is turned on? if so can you try turning off and re-testing by going to Settings>Messages

- Steve J

David_Grigg

Same issue here -- at least once every couple of days when I try to send an SMS to my wife, I get the 'Delivery Failed' message. Only turning the phone completely off and on again resolves the issue.

I have an iPhone 5C, bought last year.

Matt_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi David_Grigg,

Please see this helpful guide created by Apple in to help resolve issues like this: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2755

You can ignore the iMessage part and skip to the SMS part if its only SMS that you're having troubles with.

-Matt W

JABR1200C

Hi Matt,

I seem to be having a similar problem; one contact which I regularly send SMS messages to now gets an undeliverable message.  All other contacts seem to be fine.  It happened right about the time I upgraded to iOS 8.0.2 and I have tried all the steps on the apple help page except a backup and restore.

Jason

Matt_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi JABR1200C,

I'd suggest trying the backup & restore option to see if it helps. 

-Matt W

rgab

Any fix?

kalbfellp

I am having the same problem with my iPhone 4 mainly when replying to android. Phone on ffree network.
Any suggestions
ZZet

Apple support shows that sending SMS from iphones can be fixed by "playing"with settings

I solved the issue by going to 

. Settings,

. Messages,

. and I switched off    'MMS Messaging'

Hope this helps to some of you guys

dil_emma97

My 5c is currently having the same issue. It has been happening for a week now, and it has not improved after resetting network settings, restaring my phone most days, or restoring it last night. I have serveral contacts that have said they have received multiple of the same text from me, and on my phone it kep saying that the message failed to send. Also, I have not been receiving calls or text messages until hours after they have been made/sent. How can I fix this?

Steve_Telstra
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi dil_emma97,

As you are having the same issue can you try run through the steps listed here  https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204065

If possible are you able to test your SIM in another handset to confirm if this is a handset fault?

- Steve J

DDDumlao

Matt, can you also send the fix thanks.
DeltaSquad
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@DDDumlao

To clarify your difficulty, Are you not able to send SMS to anyone, or only to a particular contact?

Are you also using an iPhone 5 - as is the title of this thread?

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit