rodgo
Level 1: Cadet

Iphone APN setting problems with APPS

I make mobile apps and my latest app release is Footy Star 2012. Over the weekend i have been getting emails from users saying the data is not updating within the app. After going back and forth with the users a pattern took shape which was they where all using 3G on the Telstra Network. When they switched to WiFi the data updated in the app without any problems.

Tonight i got my hands on a VodaFone, Optus and Telstra Sim and started testing in an iphone. When using the Vodafone and Optus sim on 3G the app functions 100% and the data parses perfect. When using the Telstra sim the data doesnt parse just like the users have been telling me. Using the Telstra sim i can browse the Internet, check emails but it just doesnt work with my app. As you can imagine trying to explain this to telstra was a nightmare so i gave up. I have tried changing the APN to telstra.internet and telstra.wap but it still does not work.

I am hoping someone can either point me in the right direction or has a solution for me.

much appreciated

Paul

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Re: Iphone APN setting problems with APPS

What sort of data is your app trying to parse and how? I don't see there being an issue unless Telstra customers can't actually access the data.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

jokiin
Level 21: Augmented

have you tried pinging or running a tracert to the the server where the data is scraped from (there are apps for this), could just be a routing issue that is preventing you pulling the data in
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
rodgo

Ok i have been running some tests and think i have found the problem. My app pulls the data from the server using FTP Port 21 and when i run a port scanner on the Iphone/Ipad it is telling me that this port is blocked on the Telstra 3G network. The app works perfect on all other phone networks and Wifi, why is port 21 blocked on Telstra.iph?

If anyone can provide me with a solution it would be much appreciated.

jokiin

no idea as it's not something I use or even need to use really, perhaps you'll need to use an alternative method, https maybe???

if it's a policy then I can't see them changing it to accommodate your app
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
rodgo

Im looking for a solution now. The following ports are blocked on telstra.iph

21(FTP), 135 (RPC), 139(NETBIOS), 443(HTTPS) AND 445 (SMB).

jokiin

how about on telstra.internet? the telstra.iph APN is proxied so maybe something to do with it, not sure
flxproduction

HAS ANYONE TRYED USING THE APN ; teslstra.wap coz its seems sooooooo slow??? 

can any1 help me with a new APN??

allinone
Level 5: Eagle Eye

@flxproduction wrote:

HAS ANYONE TRYED USING THE APN ; teslstra.wap coz its seems sooooooo slow??? 

can any1 help me with a new APN?

Havethou tried telstra.internet or telstra.iph and the spelling is important too "telstra.wap" 

But pls make sure that your data charges are covered under your plan first.

allinone

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit