DaisyStarbright
Level 2: Rookie

iPhone email settings currently on old POP settings but laptop/outlook has new smtp & imap settings

Answered

HI,  my emails don't synchronise from my iphone to my laptop (outlook) and I have been told that both settings should be the same - imap & smtp.       

On my iPhone it is currently set to POP settings.    

Do I create a new account to set up before I delete the account with POP settings?? 

thanks - not very computer savvy   Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: iPhone email settings currently on old POP settings but laptop/outlook has new smtp & imap s

Yes, that is how the IMAP protocol works. It keeps the local copy synchronised with the server, and all devices that connect with it will have the same emails (assuming that you don't create any local folders to store items in).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Jupiter

Re: iPhone email settings currently on old POP settings but laptop/outlook has new smtp & imap s

You need to recreate the one on your iPhone using the IMAP settings for your emails to synchronise across your devices.

If you have emails that only appear on your iPhone that you want to keep, you will need to send them to yourself before deleting the POP version. Otherwise they will be gone for good.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
DaisyStarbright

HI Jupiter.

thank you for your reply.

on my phone the emails are the same as on my outlook account on the laptop, its just that they done sycn when deleting from each of the devices.  

So if I create the new account,  then delete the old POP account, can you please confirm that they should download and sync from the telstra server?  

thank you

Jupiter
Accepted Solution

Yes, that is how the IMAP protocol works. It keeps the local copy synchronised with the server, and all devices that connect with it will have the same emails (assuming that you don't create any local folders to store items in).

View solution in original post

DaisyStarbright

thank you...  its now working and synchronising perfectly 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit