bron23
Level 3: Gumshoe

Is this a scam

I have received several emails identified as Junk but purportedly coming from Telstra offering me a new smart modem free of charge. When hovering over the reply address it displays as: 

reply-fef71272726100-82_HTML-34519388-100019198-1@messages.telstra.com

Is this genuine? If so why does Telstra identify its own email as Junk?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Jupiter
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Is this a scam

It seems like a suspiciously long email address, but it does end in telstra.com

As far as it being marked as Junk, that would depend on what is actually in the header of the email (eg the true origin or the email) and the contents.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
bron23

The subject line was "You're eligible to receive a new modem". The origin was "Telstra"

Jupiter

That really doesn't tell us anything. I could send you an email with those details and you most likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference. That's just the information that you see in the front end of you mail application (or browser, if webmail).

The "Header" of an email contains the actual origin of the email (email address, IP address and details of mail server), the intended destination and the reply-to address. In Outlook, double click the email to open it in its own window. Then select File->Properties and you will be able to see the information in the "Internet Headers" section.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
bron23

Sorry, I meant to include the full email address of sender: noreply@messages.telstra.com

Which looks genuine to me. I don't have Outlook and don't know how to discover the IP address and server details, but I am now convinced it is a genuine offer. The email also addresses me by name btw.

It was the long reply to address (see my first enquiry) that threw me, and the fact the messages were being consistently marked as junk.

MammaB
Support Team
Support Team

Hi bron23, if you are concerned at all, I would pop over to our messaging team on Monday morning and have them check your account for any notifications or offers we may have sent you. If none are listed then it is possibly not from Telstra. Just pop over to https://tel.st/m3fafa on Monday and see what they have to say. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

bron23

This was the simplest and most helpful reply. Got it all checked, sorted and order for new modem processed in the space of about 20 minutes. And I didn't even have to wait till Monday morning as suggested, got it all done while on the couch in front of the TV.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit