Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

Major Bigpond e-mail problems on ios7 - iPhone 5s (and other Apple devices upgraded to ios7)

Answered

Firstly there seems to be no information I can find on the official Telstra e-mail setup for ios7 on the iPhone 5S.

The Telstra helpdesk hints (depending on who you speak to) that ios7 is not supported. Why sell the 5S then?!

The key difference is that unlike previous ios versions there is no Hotmail type mail server selection on ios7, which was the profile recommended earlier.

From searching far and wide I take it that the "Other" is the appropriate selection and indeed the helpdesk seems to confirm that. On setup it seems to verify ok (no errors).

Though i've had intermittent issues since the migration to the new servers (aka smtp/pop3.live.com), since I upgraded my iPad3 to ios7 (7.0.2 to be precise) and got a iPhone 5s (again, has ios7.0.2) I now cannot send e-mails most of the time.

My PC (using the same Bigpond service) and my Outlook client works fine both sending and receiving.

Webmail as expected is fine since it just uses the browser.

If I try to send an e-mail on either Apple device with ios7 is says "Unable to send email - A copy has been placed in your Outbox. The sender address "myemail@bigpond.com" was rejected by the server ('myemail' being my proper and corrrect address of course).

Anyone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Major Bigpond e-mail problems on ios7 - iPhone 5s (and other Apple devices upgraded to ios7)

Ok, I have since got around this problem after extensive on-line digging.

It appears i've hit a rather rare bug; bascially my e-mail began to work fine once I turned synching with my mail account off in iTunes.

http://ipadhelp.com/ipad-help/ipad-cant-send-emails-troubleshooting-steps/

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Major Bigpond e-mail problems on ios7 - iPhone 5s (and other Apple devices upgraded to ios7)

Hi Chumblybum,

Last year I created this knowledge base for iphone/ipad users to configure their email with the new Windows Live/Outlook.com accounts. 

I put the settings for using both the Hotmail option and how to manually configure, and checking my iPhone, the steps are still the same.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/BigPond-Email-on-iPhone-amp-iPad/ta-p/1097...

I hope this helps, but let me know if anything is unclear.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Hi Shelly,

There is no Hotmail option on ios7, that selection option has been removed. That was what I meant when I said I had trouble finding any updated setup guides. They all assume pre-ios7.

Highlighted
Level 6: Bloodhound

As I understand it, Outlook.com is replacing Hotmail. As Outlook.com is one of the options when creating a new email account with iOS7, have you thought about trying this selection and enter your Hotmail email address. Previously that's how in iOS6 you set up an Outlook.com email address when in setup the only applicable option was Hotmail. Worth a try at least.

CORY [CJNET]
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Ok, I have since got around this problem after extensive on-line digging.

It appears i've hit a rather rare bug; bascially my e-mail began to work fine once I turned synching with my mail account off in iTunes.

http://ipadhelp.com/ipad-help/ipad-cant-send-emails-troubleshooting-steps/

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

doesnt work! tried them all!! i have contacted telstra and no one has been able to help yet. Even though you have an outlook email because the user address is still bigpond, it will not recognise it

So frustrated with this update!!

Highlighted

i've done all of this - deleted my bigpond account and re-instated it and nothing works.

any other ideas?

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Tloc, 

Can you confirm which mail platform your BigPond account is on? 

http://bigpond.com/email-status will be able to advise if you are on the new Outlook.com server or not.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

I am having the same issue and none of the above options are working for me. 

I was unable to receive mail on my MacBook Pro so 'upgraded' to Outlook.com, however now I can't access my mail on either my MacBook Pro or iPhone. I am continuously asked for my password, however am able to log on using webmail. 

Any help would be great appreciated!

Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

After migrating to the Outlook.com service did you remove the old email settings and enter the new ones?

Log in here https://messaging.bigpond.com/update/status.do and you will be presented with the correct server settings to use. It is important that you full remove the old settings as the client may continue to prompt you about invalid/incorrect settings if you don't.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit