ppunpee
Level 1: Cadet

Need help for iphone unlock oversea

Answered

I brought an iphone 4 from telstra and came oversea without a telstra sim card and i have already called Telstra to unlock my iphone this morning, they said i have to wait for 48 to 72 hour.

The question is "do i have to use a Telstra sim card to activate the iphone for the first time after 48 to 72 hour when i connect to itune?" because i have only a new company sim card with me.

Thank you for any advice in my matter

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
jokiin
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Need help for iphone unlock oversea

@ppunpee wrote:

I brought an iphone 4 from telstra and came oversea without a telstra sim card and i have already called Telstra to unlock my iphone this morning, they said i have to wait for 48 to 72 hour.

The question is "do i have to use a Telstra sim card to activate the iphone for the first time after 48 to 72 hour when i connect to itune?" because i have only a new company sim card with me.

to process the unlock you just need access to iTunes on a machine with an internet connection, doesn't need to be your own iTunes account, make sure that iTunes is not set to automatically sync before you start

insert the other carrier SIM card and connect to iTunes and do a check for updates, the carrier update will happen providing the unlock request has been completed, also be aware that if you are not on the current firmware version it will prompt you to update the firmware on your phone, just dismiss this and continue on to get the carrier update with the unlock, takes less than a minute and you're good to go

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two

View solution in original post

jokiin
Accepted Solution

@ppunpee wrote:

Many thanks to Jokiin:smiley happy:

So, what i have to do is wait 48 to 72 hour and then connect my iphone to iTune with other sim card, right?

And i should not update the firmware until finish unlock process, correct? Just a silly question, why i should not update the firmware or can i update it later after finish unlock and activate the phone?

That's basically it, if you are using your own computer with your own iTunes account there's no problem to do the firmware update as well, if you are using someone elses computer to process the unlock though I would suggest not doing the firmware update and just process the carrier update to do the unlock, I think you may have problems if you do and even if not if something were to go wrong and you had to restore the phone you'd lose your personal data, not something you would want to do while traveling I would think

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
jokiin
Accepted Solution

@ppunpee wrote:

to process the unlock you just need access to iTunes on a machine with an internet connection, doesn't need to be your own iTunes account, make sure that iTunes is not set to automatically sync before you start

insert the other carrier SIM card and connect to iTunes and do a check for updates, the carrier update will happen providing the unlock request has been completed, also be aware that if you are not on the current firmware version it will prompt you to update the firmware on your phone, just dismiss this and continue on to get the carrier update with the unlock, takes less than a minute and you're good to go

ppunpee
Level 1: Cadet

So, what i have to do is wait 48 to 72 hour and then connect my iphone to iTune with other sim card, right?

And i should not update the firmware until finish unlock process, correct? Just a silly question, why i should not update the firmware or can i update it later after finish unlock and activate the phone?

jokiin
Accepted Solution

@ppunpee wrote:

That's basically it, if you are using your own computer with your own iTunes account there's no problem to do the firmware update as well, if you are using someone elses computer to process the unlock though I would suggest not doing the firmware update and just process the carrier update to do the unlock, I think you may have problems if you do and even if not if something were to go wrong and you had to restore the phone you'd lose your personal data, not something you would want to do while traveling I would think

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit