Level 3: Gumshoe

New iPhone12 reception issues

Answered

Hi all,

I have been trying tech support but have had no luck getting through to anyone... and am frustrated to the point of using the new phone as a firelighter!

Just over a week ago, i upgraded my trust iPhoneX to an iPhone12 max pro, ever since, i am having major reception issues.

Coverage seems to drop out constantly, where there were no coverage issues before. I cannot stream music, send messages and calls drop out.  I have tried switching between 5g to 4g, and i have noticed the phone sitting on 3g every now and then (in metro Canberra).

Download speeds will go from 200mbs to unable to connect to a network.

I have tried resetting network settings, to find that the phone will find connection for a few minutes and then drop out again.  I have just tried resetting all phone settings and cannot get connection at all (tho, i cant be sure this is due to the reset of before mentioned connectivity issues).

These problems are both at home and work, AND, to make things a little more confusing, WiFi doesnt seem stable on it, either.

None of these issues existed on my iPhoneX.

Have any of the gurus out there any idea?

Thanks

Rick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution

Re: New iPhone12 reception issues

All,

So, I decided that something wasnt right, so stat my old iphonex beside the new phone and swapped the sim back and forth to get an average download/connection speed.

The X was getting around 12mbps, the 12 was at ~0.3mbps - then couldnt connect at all.

I took it into apple on saturday who confirmed i had took all the troubleshooting they suggested and swapped the phone over instantly.

Everything *seems* to be running better now (averaging about 8mbps in the same place that the old phone wasnt connecting).  Hopefully it was just a bit of a faulty handset, and, as the 5g network and apple stabilise their hardware/software, it will keep improving.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions on what it could be - it was super helpful, and, without it i would no doubt still be looking at the old handset like a monkey!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
23 REPLIES 23
Level 25: The Singularity

Have you made sure that you have the most up to date firmware on the phone? There was an update released last week that appears to have improved the connectivity of the iPhone 12 according to others who were having speed issues.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 23: Superhero

There were other issues of WiFi reported here on Crowd Support last week or so.

I am unaware if the update late last week improved that issue as well as signal strength.

This is one of the "joys" of being an "early adopter" 

"BEING NICE TO OTHERS .. IS NICE"
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 76 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

Sorry - i should have added that bit in!

Currently running 14.2.  I haven't been able to upgrade to 14.2.1 yet as the connection drops.

Though, if that is the cause (or solution), i could download it and upgrade via cable and Mac...

Oh the joys!

Ive never had issues like this before - and normally happy to keep old(er) tech that works.

I just thought it was strange that the old phone, running the same ios, worked flawlessly.  was starting to wonder if i have a lemon and should swap back to the X - or go to the telstra shop to bear with the 'we will send your phone away for investigation' bit.

I can undersatnd Wifi OR 5g not working... but when its WiFi, 5g, 4g and dropping 3g to 'connection issues' speed, it seems phone (or software) related 

I am not familiar with the update number, but I do know that the update from last week drastically improved another person's situation here, which you will see if you scroll well back. I know it improved reception, but unaware if it improved WiFi stability.

50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.

Thank you so much for the responses.

Ok - update.

Updated to latest version of iOS (14.2.1), but alas, no difference.  when running a speed test on 5g i get the message "check your internet connection and try again".  on 4g i am getting .61mbps download (oddly, .61mbps upload, too).

At that speed, it makes it tricky to do anything!

Any other thoughts?

Level 21: Augmented

Hi - I think that last week's Apple software 14.2.1 update appeared to be specific for the iPhone 12 - the Zolloetech YouTube clip showed a Build Extension on the iPhone 12 to be [18B121] - unaware if that is global or USA only.  I was offered the 14.2.1 update on an iPhone 8, but it seemed only to load a generic update to 14.2  without the .1 suffix or appended Build reference making me think the iPhone 12 does get a different version.

If you can get the iPhone 12  updated to 14.2.1 through your Mac and still suffer the same conditions, it would establish if you indeed have an underlying fault with the phone. One of the update improvements was in relation to the 5G Qualcomm Snap Dragon X55 Modem's performance. The Wi-Fi 6 or 802.11ax module in the iPhone 12 is made by USI Global who use a variety of Wi-Fi chipsets, Qualcomm being one of them, so not sure if 14.2.1 will improve matters there.  

One of my friends had constant Wi-Fi drop out on her Telstra Arcadyan LH:1000 modem - we discovered it was six firmware versions out of date and eventually it upgraded to current firmware after a series of constant factory default setting procedures over the weekend and Wi-Fi stability returned. You may also receive more up to date information and assistance from Apple direct if you are able to go to their Apple Store in Canberra. 

Try a full shutdown and reboot on the phone. That sometimes helps after an update (not just the standard automatic reboot it does after applying the update).

It does sound like it could be an antenna issue within the phone, maybe a faulty connection.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Thanks for the info.

Definitely is showing as 14.2.1 in the settings.  do you know of any way to test the phone strength or is it just a matter of taking it t an apple/telstra store and telling them what is going on?

Will try a full reboot.

It definitely seems odd - the way it goes from full reception to nothing instantly... even when sitting on a desk.

I guess the big question (all going wrong) is, should i go to Telstra or Apple for the return? Telstra (i would imagine) will offer to send it for repairs... apple might just exchange - but it is under telstra contract.

I would go to Apple purely because it is quicker and they know their products better.

I have Samsung products and always go direct to them if I possibly can.

If and only if you think it may be specifically your handset, you have the choice to take it to an Apple Store where they will test and replace it on the spot if actually necessary. It's best if you make an online appointment with their "Genius Bar" at the store you choose. It has to be done via their website. Please follow the advice others have offered you here before considering that.

Have you tried the phone on other 5G base stations? 

Im not 100% sure if its the handset or not - which is why i am asking the questions (to rule out my own incompetence!).

I have the same problem at multiple locations (Fadden and Woden), and i have the same problem if i switch the phone to 4g and turn 5g off.

What is odd, is if i walk 25m down the hall, my reception stays the same, but download speed seems to jump.  From what i understand, 5g isnt great at penetrating buildings... but that doesnt explain the 4g and multiple location bit.

Im not worried about 5g and understand it is an emerging network - but, 4g worked on my old phone, i would have assumed it would work on the new one, too.

So I take it you have downloaded it - does it show a Build reference following 14.2.1? There is a Field Test Mode screen in the iPhone which can be seen by dialing in a code, however based on last week's post, it appeared to show 4G signal parameters only. Given the experiences you have undergone, I would also suggest a visit to the Apple Store to get their opinion at least - I don't know enough about any obligation you may have with Telstra under a contracted arrangement and I assume Apple will inform you of that if it is an issue. 

Yup - have 14.2.1.

It just all seems very odd, intermittent and opposite to the normally great reception i would get with the iPhoneX

Quick update on status of this:

After missing a few calls and calls dropping out (due to low reception), i took the phone to the apple store.

While they admitted the signal strength was low, the phone passed its hardware tests.  The genius bar recommended it was likely the sim card (being old, it may have damaged swapping to the new phone).

I replaced this at the telstra shop, but it didnt change the intermittent signal issues.

Next step is to restore the phone off a brand new build, that way i can see if it is faulty hardware or software. 

From there i should have some kind of answer... and either return the phone, or, start from scratch with photos, apps and contacts.

Thanks for the update. I hope it works out for you either with successful rebuild or replacement.

As a matter of interest, does your software show the build number following the 14.2.1 as depicted in the Zollotech YouTube video? He may have been a Beta trail site reviewer with pre-release software or it may not be applicable to Australia.

It sure does.  I checked the software version and it shows 14.2.1

i also got the Apple tech to check and make sure i was up to date - they confirmed 14.2.1

Im not sure if its widely released or not - but i can absolutely say that the new phone is showing that build!

Will try and restore to factory tonight and see where i end up.

Thank you, all, for your help with this.  i was running in circles and couldnt get answers or directions from anyone.  this has really helped me troubleshoot where the issues may be.

Level 1: Cadet

Hi @Rick_Jackson 

Just a thought.

Settings

Mobile

Mobile Data Network

what APN is currently there ?

try both:

telstra.internet

or

telstra.wap

Actually, for iPhones it should be telstra.iph, but this shouldn't affect calls.

Hi - some background - the Apple iPhone 12 is the first time Apple has used the Qualcomm 5G Snapdragon modem as their usual supplier, Intel was not ready. Apple also bought out the Intel modem business for a huge sum, so they could start to create their own 5G chips in parallel to using Qulacomm's modem after settling a legal suit with them.

It appears to me that the iOS and modem software has yet to stabilise for some people. When you upgraded to 14.2.1 or if you did a factory reset , I would expect your iPhone to display 14.2.1. with Build [18B121]  on your About iPhone screen and if you went down to the bottom of the same screen , it would show the Modem Firmware to be 1.14.05 - is that consistent with your phone? ** see Apple Forum post.

In the same week that Apple released 14.2.1 to the general public, Apple released iOS 14.3 Beta1, then three days later released iOS Beta 2 to Apple Developers and Public Beta trial users. In both 14.3 versions the modem firmware is at a different level hinting issues existed that needed to be patched. Hopefully your phone will get an upgrade when 14.3 is released to the public, possibly next month which may improve matters. ***

iOS 14.3 Beta 1 Modem  Build (.......f?) Firmware 1.31.02 - this information from YouTube clip review.

iOS 14.3 Beta 2  Build (18c5054c) Modem Firmware 1.31.03-4

** iPhone 12 Pro Battery Drain When Idle at … - Apple Community

***iOS 14.3 Beta 2 Released - What's New? - YouTube

Accepted Solution

All,

So, I decided that something wasnt right, so stat my old iphonex beside the new phone and swapped the sim back and forth to get an average download/connection speed.

The X was getting around 12mbps, the 12 was at ~0.3mbps - then couldnt connect at all.

I took it into apple on saturday who confirmed i had took all the troubleshooting they suggested and swapped the phone over instantly.

Everything *seems* to be running better now (averaging about 8mbps in the same place that the old phone wasnt connecting).  Hopefully it was just a bit of a faulty handset, and, as the 5g network and apple stabilise their hardware/software, it will keep improving.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions on what it could be - it was super helpful, and, without it i would no doubt still be looking at the old handset like a monkey!

View solution in original post

Level 1: Cadet

Sadly customer support is hard to get 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit