GoinInsane
Level 3: Gumshoe

New Sim Card?

Answered

I recieved my new iPhone 5s today and it was sent with a nano sim card. But I am upgrading from an iPhone 5 so already have a nano sim card. Do I have to change to the new sim card or can I continue using the one I already have?

Many Thanks in advance.

Life is what you make it, just don't make it a tragedy.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JustinB
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: New Sim Card?

Hi GoinInsane,

I'm afraid if the PIN number isn't on a scratch panel on the SIM card itself, you'll need to contact us to get it - the default PIN code for a SIM card is usually the last 4 digits of your PUK code, which we list in our systems.  You can either contact us via 24x7 online chat to get the codes you need.  Hope this helps!

- Justin

Telstra Social Media Team

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
pinkmia8

Yes i would like to know aswell. my old sim is working perfectly fine in my 5s.

Scotty2hottie18
Level 4: Private Eye

Hey guys,

An older post says the new sim comes activated but your existing sim should work. Give it a shot.
GoinInsane

In the paper work that was included it said we had to go online and activate new sim and would take 4 hours or even up to 24 hours. I'm confused. lol
GoinInsane

Ok, now I have a new problem. I decided to do the "right' thing and activated the new sim card, but now I don't know the pin number for it. It's not on the card that it came with. Any clues?
JustinB
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi GoinInsane,

I'm afraid if the PIN number isn't on a scratch panel on the SIM card itself, you'll need to contact us to get it - the default PIN code for a SIM card is usually the last 4 digits of your PUK code, which we list in our systems.  You can either contact us via 24x7 online chat to get the codes you need.  Hope this helps!

- Justin

View solution in original post

GoinInsane

Thank you Justin. I went into my account online and was able to find my PUK code and the last 4 digits worked as my sim pin. Thanks for the help. Now I finally feel my phone is safe.
JustinB
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Fantastic - and I apologise, as I'd forgotten to mention the PUK request via My Account!  Glad I was able to help things along and make you feel a bit more secure in the process.  🙂

- Justin

pinkmia8

So do we have to activate the new sim card, or can i keep using my old one?

Ben_J
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi pinkmia8,

If you already have a compatible SIM card you can continue to use it.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

pinkmia8

Thank you! 🙂

Daveyb1
Level 1: Cadet

hi 

I have a new sim card but i have no mobile number to go with it as it was bought a while ago but never used i think ???? any way just cracked it out of sim card holder and now want to use it..... can i still activate it and get a new mobile number after activation 

Ashley
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Daveyb1,

If this is a sim from a prepaid starter kit, the sim would have had a number designated to it. If you don't have that number we aren't able to activate the sim card. Also, depending on when you bought the prepaid kit, it may have expired meaning it is no longer able to be activated. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

craigfilmer
Level 1: Cadet

Need a new SIM card tomorrow sat 26 March. Lost old one, is Busselton store open tomorrow

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit