newforphone4s
Level 1: Cadet

No Service on New Iphone 4s

New user of Iphone 4S.

Sim Card is in. iOS 5 is downloaded. However this still didn't activate the iphone.

What else i can do to activate it?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
jokiin
Level 21: Augmented

Re: No Service on New Iphone 4s

the phone can be activated over WiFi or cellular, what have you tired so far?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Brash208
Level 2: Rookie

Mine is doing the same thing, i have no service, im in a place that does not have a testra shop and i cant get to one until i finish work and when that is im not sure, is this a regular thing, will it come good on its own or do i have to contact someone to make sure my phones working

jokiin

if you think the network is ok but the phone might be playing up do a hard restart, press and hold power and home buttons together until the Apple logo shows (takes about 10 to 15 seconds) and the phone restarts
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brash208

i tried it a couple of times and sometimes it seemed like it was really trying but it still says sos only

jokiin

localised issue in your area perhaps, anyone else there with Telstra that you can compare with, if the network is ok then perhaps try doing a restore on the phone, that normally sorts any odd behavior
AussieNerd80

If the device has not be activated it generally will show you a start up welcome and setup wizard on the screen or the iTunes symbol with the USB connector underneath graphic would be visible.

iphone-setup-1.png

SOS Only often can be in relation to the device not being able to lock onto a strong enough signal in your current location.

If you could be more specific about your location it might help to understand the network coverage where you are. In the interim I would recommend trying the following;

1. On the iPhone, select Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings (this basically takes the device completely on the network and when it restarts it signals to the network to find it)

2. If step 1 does not resolve the issue, select Settings > General > Network > Enable 3G (switch it off) and see if a connecton is established

3. If Step 1 and 2 still does not have you getting any connection, follow the actions in step 2 to re-enable 3G, then afterwards select Settings > Carrier > Automatic (Turn Off) > and select: Telstra Mobile (this locks it to 3G only).

If any of the above has failed to resolve it, can you provide more specifics about what you see on the screen, what you have done, your location etc.

Brash208

im in mornington island in the gulf of queensland but that was the whole reason i got an iphone cause one of the other guys has on and its a 4 not a 4s and still gets reception, i went into the store before i came here and the lady said it was all good it was just the computers at telstra were taking a while or updating and shouldnt take longer than 48 hours that was six days ago, try all that was suggested but no luck so far but thank you for the help and any other suggestions welcome

honda_1

i just bought a new iphone 4s and am also having the same problem with no service all it sais is no service or sos only the only time it has any service is if im in town and yet where i live a family member is also with telstra on a $40 phone and he has full service my friend is with telstra on a iphone 4 not a S and he also had service any suggestions i was told by telstra if the new sim still did not work apple would replace the phone ?

scocaf3

make sure that you do a full restore on the phone via iTunes and do no jailbreak or perform factory unlock on the device.

This is the best step to take if the basics such as toggling 3G, between auto and manual on network selection and doing a reset network settings- another to try before committing to a total restore (which requires a pc or Mac, net connection, iTunes and patience)... Is go to settings-> general -> reset-> reset all settings.

Also ensure that you delete configuration profiles at settings-> general-> Profiles because they may have an influence on your 3G connectivity.
mike99

I am also having problems with no service, i recently switched to telstra as it is the only network that has any signal in the area i'm working at the moment, i bought a new prepaid sim and activated it but i still can't seem to lock on to any signal despite everyone else at my work using telstra phones, i have called up and received no usefull help i have also tried resetting the phone and resetting network settings, could needing to update my iphone to ios6 be part of the problem as i haven't done this yet

Mitcho1989
Level 11: Detective

@mike99 wrote:

I am also having problems with no service, i recently switched to telstra as it is the only network that has any signal in the area i'm working at the moment, i bought a new prepaid sim and activated it but i still can't seem to lock on to any signal despite everyone else at my work using telstra phones, i have called up and received no usefull help i have also tried resetting the phone and resetting network settings, could needing to update my iphone to ios6 be part of the problem as i haven't done this yet

I'm not sure of the solution to this, and I can't offer any extra advice considering you've already done everything I would do (reset settings, call Telstra etc), but not updating to iOS 6 isn't the problem. Many devices are still running iOS 5 and work fine. Regardless of whether you're running iOS 5 or 6, your phone will have the same network settings so I don't see updating to iOS 6 solving it (although it wouldn't hurt to try, who knows?). Hope you get it sorted!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit