Mjbroadbent
Level 1: Cadet

Nordvpn won’t connect on 4G ios

I used to be able to connect nordvpn to any server while on 4G now I can only connect when using wifi 

went to the Telstra shop they said my plan is out of date and to sign up to a new plan to fix the issue 

installed nord on my wife’s iPhone who has a new plan same problem no connectivity when on 4G 

anyone have any ideas how to fix? Tried changing the VPN protocols, reset network settings, delete and reinstalled the app 

is it possible Telstra is blocking the VPN 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
cf4
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Nordvpn won’t connect on 4G ios

This could be due to Telstra using IPv6 on mobile connection. Check your APN settings and if APN protocol set to IPv6 change to IPv4/IPv6

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201699#:~:text=View%20and%20edit%20your%20APN%20settings&text=If%2....

KINesthetic
Level 2: Rookie

This problem started some months back for me too. No problems connecting when I switch SIM to another service provider or on WIFI to another service provider. I'd like to see how this can work again.

KINesthetic

I'm using iphone. I don't think Telstra allows you to change this setting.

Dowser
Level 21: Augmented

What is your current APN setting?.

KINesthetic

telstra.internet

(Settings->Mobile->Mobile Data Network)

Dowser

Try setting the APN to  telstra.iph and restart your phone and test.

If necessary, also test for telstra.wap

KINesthetic

I've tried both APNs. The issue is still there.

A few other info:

- All VPN protocols don't work

- I have two different Telstra SIMs (different numbers and plans), both fails.

- Same issue on iphone and ipad. I will test a few other service providers tomorrow.

- Cisco Any connect works (not sure which protocol it uses)

Jupiter

Most VPN providers do not support IPv6 (and will fail when trying to use them on an IPv6 connection). NordVPN do not support IPv6 connections (they state that on their support website). Cisco Anyconnect does support IPv6 connections (sort of, it has a built in workaround), hence why it works.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
KINesthetic

Thanks for this. I think you're right, I tried checking what IP I have on 4G, and it seems that I only have v6 address. I don't see options to change v6->v4 (or both). It's interesting that a lot more things aren't broken. I'm wondering if Telstra's NAT64 isn't working well with the VPN over TCP and UDP. 

Dowser

@KINesthetic wrote:

This problem started some months back for me too. No problems connecting when I switch SIM to another service provider or on WIFI to another service provider.

If it is an IPv6 issue, I wonder why you have only experienced it recently.

Which service provider do you have “no problems” with?

cf4

@Dowser 

It is only recently that Telstra has started using IPv6 on its mobile network instead of IPv4.

Dowser

Thanks.

KINesthetic

I just re-tested with Aldi. I've noted that I have both v4 and v6 addresses. As expected, NordVPN doesn't have any issues connecting. I'm hesitant in calling Telstra for support, as I have no idea what I will have to go through to explain that I'm suspecting an issue with their NAT64, but I guess someone has to.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit